Diablo III Starter Edition Question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1500 posts) -

I got the Diablo III starter Edition to see if I would actually like Diablo III and despite people having a lot of hate for the game I loved it. I wanted to upgrade to the full game, but I had a quick question: Will my characters from the Starter Edition transfer to my battlenet account or do I have to start all over?

Also, do I have to hit the upgrade button or can I just buy the game from the store and persue it that way?

Thanks!

#2 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
You will be able to keep your characters and yes you can also just buy it from a store.
#3 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1500 posts) -

You will be able to keep your characters and yes you can also just buy it from a store.DanielDust

Thank you!!! I am definitely picking this up!

#4 Posted by HyperWarlock (3261 posts) -

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]You will be able to keep your characters and yes you can also just buy it from a store.Mighty-Lu-Bu

It's a good game for sure, people are just mad because it's not a carbon copy of Diablo 2.

#5 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mighty-Lu-Bu"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]You will be able to keep your characters and yes you can also just buy it from a store.HyperWarlock

It's a good game for sure, people are just mad because it's not a carbon copy of Diablo 2.

Indeed. I still enjoy playing it quite a lot. And if I get tired of the lack of customization, and want to play something a little more in depth in that regard, Path of Exile is F2P. Everyone should check that sh!t out.

#6 Posted by nutcrackr (12628 posts) -
Classic case of if you don't love it you automatically hate it. Aside from a few foam mouthed gamers, most would say it's a good game.
#7 Posted by Realmjumper (634 posts) -
The game is 29.99 at best buy with free shipping. Might be same price at store. http://dealzon.com/deals/diablo-3-pc
#8 Posted by Gladestone1 (5549 posts) -

Hated the skills of dibalo 3..Its not a good game its a decent game..It will give u your money worth..The skill set is horrible, the loot is borish..Maybe in time the loot will change..The skill set wont it was a horrible idea what they came up with in d3..

#9 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5896 posts) -

It had a rough start, but it's getting better with each patch IMO.

#10 Posted by topgunmv (10246 posts) -

Cwagmire21

How is it now? Was thinking of getting it at that 30$ price someone linked.

Is the loot still terrible?

#11 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

topgunmv

Loot has improved drastically. I still think it's a bit lacking just because of the way they designed the entire loot system to begin with. Since there's no stat point allocation, the vast majority of your stat customization, and even stat boosting in general, comes from your items. So, for an inferno level barbarian, you pretty much can't even hope of staying alive unless every single item you're using has a large strength boost. Same for wizards and intelligence, monks and dexterity, and so on. Because of that, you find a whole lot of stuff that may have other really cool properties, but is totally worthless because no matter how cool the other stuff is, if it doesn't have as much of your primary stat boost as whatever you already have, it's not worth it. That used to be a massive problem, because loot was so random, you would regularly find, say, a barbarian-only weapon, with a bunch of damage boosters, and elemental damage and stuff, but with +100 to intelligence. Which is COMPLETELY worthless for a barbarian. They've come a long way towards fixing that, by just messing with the item randomization so that stuff like that doesn't happen as often. Still not perfect, but gettin there.

At least there's more interesting stuff now, though. They've added in a lot more legendary items, and more sets, and increased drop rates in inferno by alot. I got my barbarian to inferno before any of the significant patches, and by the time I was into act 2 inferno, I was using 100% gear bought on the AH (gold AH. I'm sure as hell not spending real money), which isn't a bad system. I actually started to really like it, once prices stabilized, and you could start getting decent gear, without spending 24 hours of grinding worth of gold. I had to use gear from the AH, because good stuff just plain didn't drop in act 1 inferno. Really great for farming gold, but no worthwhile gear. Stopped playing for a while, and got back on after one of the more recent patches. Played for like 4 hours, made it through act 2 and 3 inferno, and replaced all my gear except for a helmet with stuff I found myself, that was all significant upgrades from what I had.

So yeah, items have improved a lot, but I just feel like there's going to be a "roof" for how interesting loot even can get in D3, because of the core game designs that can't be changed with a simple patch. I really hope that they do something drastic to spice up the loot when they do a real full on expansion. Maybe bring back socketable runes...?

#12 Posted by topgunmv (10246 posts) -

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

the_bi99man

Loot has improved drastically. I still think it's a bit lacking just because of the way they designed the entire loot system to begin with. Since there's no stat point allocation, the vast majority of your stat customization, and even stat boosting in general, comes from your items. So, for an inferno level barbarian, you pretty much can't even hope of staying alive unless every single item you're using has a large strength boost. Same for wizards and intelligence, monks and dexterity, and so on. Because of that, you find a whole lot of stuff that may have other really cool properties, but is totally worthless because no matter how cool the other stuff is, if it doesn't have as much of your primary stat boost as whatever you already have, it's not worth it. That used to be a massive problem, because loot was so random, you would regularly find, say, a barbarian-only weapon, with a bunch of damage boosters, and elemental damage and stuff, but with +100 to intelligence. Which is COMPLETELY worthless for a barbarian. They've come a long way towards fixing that, by just messing with the item randomization so that stuff like that doesn't happen as often. Still not perfect, but gettin there.

At least there's more interesting stuff now, though. They've added in a lot more legendary items, and more sets, and increased drop rates in inferno by alot. I got my barbarian to inferno before any of the significant patches, and by the time I was into act 2 inferno, I was using 100% gear bought on the AH (gold AH. I'm sure as hell not spending real money), which isn't a bad system. I actually started to really like it, once prices stabilized, and you could start getting decent gear, without spending 24 hours of grinding worth of gold. I had to use gear from the AH, because good stuff just plain didn't drop in act 1 inferno. Really great for farming gold, but no worthwhile gear. Stopped playing for a while, and got back on after one of the more recent patches. Played for like 4 hours, made it through act 2 and 3 inferno, and replaced all my gear except for a helmet with stuff I found myself, that was all significant upgrades from what I had.

So yeah, items have improved a lot, but I just feel like there's going to be a "roof" for how interesting loot even can get in D3, because of the core game designs that can't be changed with a simple patch. I really hope that they do something drastic to spice up the loot when they do a real full on expansion. Maybe bring back socketable runes...?

Well I went to buy it but it said the sale ended.

When I first looked the website said the sale ended in 2 days. I guess 2 days in best buy time=3 hours.

#13 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

topgunmv

Well I went to buy it but it said the sale ended.

When I first looked the website said the sale ended in 2 days. I guess 2 days in best buy time=3 hours.

Haha. Well damn. I'd say wait for another sale, if you're not totally sold on it. Between Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile, there's plenty of awesome ARPG gaming to be had right now. And maybe they'll have the PVP in place by the time they drop the official price for D3 to like 30-40$.