Diablo 3...worth playing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yummifullz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 yummifullz
Member since 2012 • 119 Posts

So I have D3 from the WoW annual pass and it just finished installing but I was taking a look at some of the user reviews and they are pretty negative. It seems D3 was a major letdown. Should I even bother playing? Not that I'm a fan of action point and click rpg's anyways but I figured Blizzard can't possibly put out a bad game as I'm hearing D3 is.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Just...play it and see for yourself? I mean you already have the game, you even got it installed and ready to run.

The game is great and the combat is by far the best in the genre, there is only one flaw, two (personally) irrelevant things and something that isn't done yet.

The problem:
- loot is not exciting, good loot is hard to find, you won't be getting countless awesome shinies (you'll only encounter this problem if you finish the game several times to reach inferno and "grind" -which is THE thing for this genre- for tens of hours, for better loot, looking at your post, it will not become a problem for you, doubt you'll go further than let's say finishing normal and maybe trying out nightmare a little).

The irrelevant whining problems:
- you need internet to play it
- auction house, in game gold or real money, something completely independent from the actual game that some very weak individuals can't avoid, individuals that end up crying on forums because buying gear ruined their experience

The thing that isn't done yet:
- PvP, will be released in patch 1.1, whenever that hits.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

the combat is by far the best in the genre

DanielDust

It's not "by far" the best in the genre. Torchlight 2 is pretty similar.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

bloodling

Should have put a huge, bold IMO at first then, would that make it seem subjective? Torchlight 2 is an extremely boring game, for me, I played Torchlight 1 more than I should, 2 is more of the same. TL 1 was a fun little game, but I only have 3 games on my list, Diablo 3, Sacred and Diablo 2.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

bloodling

The combat is very different in those games. TL2 feels far more like DII and older ARPG's. The combat is the best I have played in the genre, BUT it comes with a price. Most of which is that it requires classes to have certain moves to be useful and kinda makes classes feel too similar. So while I love the combat, I am not sure it all works to the advantage of diversity in play style and classes.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
Game's awesome.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

DanielDust

Should have put a huge, bold IMO at first then, would that make it seem subjective? Torchlight 2 is an extremely boring game, for me, I played Torchlight 1 more than I should, 2 is more of the same. TL 1 was a fun little game, but I only have 3 games on my list, Diablo 3, Sacred and Diablo 2.

I was giving my opinion as well. I'm not questioning your subjectivity. Diablo 3 is more polished than T2 but I was only talking about the combat.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

D3 combat is a lot more WoW'ey. I did not enjoy it as much as D2's.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DanielDust

Fizzman

WoW's combat has nothing in common with D3, literally, nothing.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

DanielDust

WoW's combat has nothing in common with D3, literally, nothing.

The boss battle's feel like WoW. The entire experience felt like WoW. It was one of the biggest reason's why i stopped playing it.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

End game sucks.

Dumbed down RPG mechanics

Pay2Win

The game is Lacking loads of content. Six hour campaign in an Action-RPG? ..

The different difficulties add nothing extra to the campaign

No PVP

LOLWORTHY terrible story. (Probably one of the worst in gaming, absolute terrible script)

Four player restriction on co-op

Online Only

No Online features except the auction house and a friends list. No custom games, no in-depth online chat system. No clan or guild system... nothing but an auction house and a "join game" function which joins a random game.

This game is bare bones. Admitedly The combat is fun and the technical design department did a great job on the enemies death animations. But that's all there is to the game. I scored it an 8.0 at release after I had played through the campaign upto Inferno. I would probably score it about an 6,5/7 now after I've spent more time on it. It's worth playing through once on inferno and then tossed aside.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bloodling

The boss battle's feel like WoW. The entire experience felt like WoW. It was one of the biggest reason's why i stopped playing it.

Fizzman

Boss battles do feel a little bit like WoW, but I didn't think it was a problem. My main problems with D3 were:

-the difficulty level (way too easy)

-most runes are not very useful

-skills are too straight-forward, you don't really need much skill or strategy to use them

-not enough skills aimed for players who like to play in groups, most skills are good for both solo and multiplayer

-the story is short and not very engaging

-buying and selling items is a chore

I do however love the graphics, the animations and the music.

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

I haven't played the game since Mists of Pandaria got released, but at the time I was playing it it was pretty meh. Finished normal mode, which was faceroll after playing the AH every day. Finished the first 2 acts with the next difficulty, but then it got extremely boring for me. The game was still the exact same with just a higher difficulty, not really my style for a replay value.

I may come back to try out another class, hopefully it will bring back some freshness to get me finish the entire game once again. I'm still too busy with MoP trough.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

bloodling

I used to think that Diablo III combat wast the best part of a game with some good parts and some very flawed other ones, but after 2 months playing Guild Wars 2 I find the combat system in Diablo III too weak:

# Usually most of builds use 2-3 different attcaks; the other 4-3 "active skills" are mostly employed for buffs/debuffs or as situational passives, which means that your character has a ridiculously low amount of variety in attacks.

# A significative part of your skills are based on cooldowns instead of the spent of resources, which means that you have heavy restrictions in their use. This also differs a lot from the gameplay mechanics present in D II LOD, in which the pace of use of your skills was based purely in the avilability or your resources and your IAS checkpoints.

# The lack of variations and small number of maps, combined with the loot mechanics fastly turns the game into a repetitive grinding, which can be deadly boring.

So... Diablo III is worth playing, but is not a mandatory game or a game capable to make most of people to play it everyday for months and months, as was his predecessors.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I just got really bored playing the same campaign over and over. Other than that its a great game, it will be awesome when PVP comes.
danygo1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 danygo1996
Member since 2009 • 377 Posts

So I have D3 from the WoW annual pass and it just finished installing but I was taking a look at some of the user reviews and they are pretty negative. It seems D3 was a major letdown. Should I even bother playing? Not that I'm a fan of action point and click rpg's anyways but I figured Blizzard can't possibly put out a bad game as I'm hearing D3 is.

yummifullz

Playing? yes... Buying... no

In anyway, it's a great game , it was just a big letdown because it wasnt like D2 was but... it's a good game, iv had fun with it while i played it.

LookAnDrolL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 LookAnDrolL
Member since 2008 • 2483 Posts

Yeah, its not really a Diablo game... its more like the retarded bastard child of Diablo II and WoW; because not Diablo II nor WoW are that silly

• No skillpoints.. that means, your skills are always the same, and cannot be upgraded. Skills are basically perks, like those in call of duty
  • No stat to distribute.. you can't choose what stat you wanna level. Every time you level up the game chooses the stats to raise for you according to your class. Barb str, Wizz Int, Archer Dex, etc.
  • RNG Itemisation, aka The Loot, is awfully designed. You can get an incredible weapon that does a lot o dmg, but the stat rolls of the item could be a completely random generated mess. Like a having a two handed axe with 1500 average dmg per second that gives you +400 to inteligence and +2 to some Wizzard skill. And this kind of thing, happens a lot. There are tons and tons of legendary items ruined by this rubbish
  • At the moment there is no pvp whatsoever, that means, you are stuck playing PvM for a while
  • 4 players Co-Op only (Diablo II had 8)
  • Online only. Yes, even if you wanna play SP. And that means LAG for a SP campaing (Silliest thing I ever heard)
  • Maps are poorly random generated
  • Bosses are a Joke. Period. You'll encounter elites (Harder than normal monsters) that are more powerfull and devastating than Diablo himself.
  • You can't swap acts in game. That means that if you want to do runs on diferent maps, for different monsters, every time you want to go back or fowards, you'll have to start a new game.
  • Poor story. Seriusly, its so bad, that every time you get a cutscene later on, you skip it by default. I won't spoil anything, but they just Killed Diablo storyline with this game.
  • Poor dialogue. I've seen better dialog on Cartoon Network.
  • Shortest RPG campaing ever. Act 4, is a joke.

Now, is the game fun? Yes it is

Is it a worthy sequel? Not in the slightly

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="yummifullz"]

danygo1996

Playing? yes... Buying... no

In anyway, it's a great game , it was just a big letdown because it wasnt like D2 was but... it's a good game, iv had fun with it while i played it.

loved it for 200 hours and played it for almost 250. If you are playing it for the story, don't. If you are playing it because you want the addiction to be as heavy as D2 and last thousands of hours, don't.

BUT it is a blast and is good while it lasts. It does a lot better than other ARPG's, even D2, but it also does a lot to hurt things from D2.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Had a rough start, but I'm enjoying the current patch.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

As far as combat being the best in the genre goes, I think the combat is better in games like Dark Alliance/Champions of Norrath where you can move with the wasd/analog and manually block.. The point and click gameplay works better in tactical RPGs, not action ones.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

I actually enjoyed the game, I'm not the kind of person to keep re-playing a game but on my first playthrough I had a decent amount of fun. I got the game free so I was happy about that too.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Play it once in normal mode. It's fun once, or maybe twice. I got seriously into Inferno with my roommate, and we both completely lost interest after a few weeks of playing. It just felt repetitious, and the rewards were practically nonexistent unless you want to sink 400+ hours into the game.
Super-Trooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Super-Trooper
Member since 2004 • 1591 Posts

They've fixed a lot of the problems that people are still complaining about here with patches. You can make the game hard as you want (adds to length as well) with monster power. Loot is much better, though they could still add more varying stats/effects. More skills have been tweaked to be more useful.

Complaining about lack of stat distribution is pretty stupid as well, D2 it was add as little in str as you can to wear you gear, add to dex if you needed max block and rest into vit.

They also made it so legendarys(vastly more powerful as well) drop much more and that items(rares) roll the ilvl affixes of the monster you killed (regardless of the item in inferno, it will roll a ilvl63 affix even if it is a ilvl 59 item for example).

As well they added a 'D2 Uber Tristram endgame in the form of the Inferno Machine. Paragon levels are a great incentive to continue to play when you reach 60 as well and getting to paragon 100 would take forever for most.

Every Paragon level gives you more magic/gold find so it is much easier to the cap of 300 and help you find even more items.

PvP will eventually come and I believe they are actually trying to build on it, not have it like some barebones stripped thing like they were planning originally.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#24 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
If you don't like point and click RPGs then I wouldn't bother at all. That's exactly what the game is. Its not bad, its just too safe and doesn't take enough risks. Co-op is okay but there are some connection issues, like you might have full health but due to the lag you might lose it all at once and have to be revived.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#25 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

I've got a lot of faith in Blizzard and from what I've seen, it's as close to the first two games as they could have made it rather than trying to take what works and push it in a new direction. I think that's always been Blizzard's approach and as long as it stays that way, I'll keep playing their games.