Diablo 2 destroyed CRPG forever

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Sign-Number-Two
Sign-Number-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Sign-Number-Two
Member since 2011 • 95 Posts

Although first Diablo hurt CRPG a bit too, but the real damage was done by Diablo 2. After Diablo 2 was released and it gained a tremendous amount of sales and popularity thanks to it's watered down and shallow game-play, story and lore compared to other RPG titles ( which made it an extremely accessible title ) , RPG developers spent their time and effort making worthless and repetitive Diablo clones instead of deep and engaging RPG's. take Lionheart: Legacy of the crusader for example, that game had all the ingredients to become a great title, but since it tried to clone Diablo's combat, it failed. Diablo 2 changed the taste of gamers. No one could stand dice rolls and tactical turn based combat after playing the click-fest which was Diablo 2. Diablo 2 is all about clicking, clicking , clicking and clicking. nothing more. Sadly, people accepted this as the revolution of RPG's, but it was the death of RPG's.

Now about the point of this thread:

Don't support future Diablo clones anymore. let them die. let the developers know that we are not interested in playing the same game again and again anymore. we want something new. We are tired of slashing monsters over and over again. we want to get engaged in an RPG, we want to hear a good story in it, We want a memorable experience. We don't want to grind pointlessly in our RPG's. Start with Torchlight 2. It's release is near. Don't buy it, let the game to be an absolute financial disaster for it's developers. If that happens, we are one step closer to our goal. That would be an alert to other developers trying to sell their worthless rehashed products to us.

Support studios like Piranha Bytes instead. they are the ones who are trying to give us the role playing experience we deserve. they are trying to make a real RPG title in this current shipwreck state of the genre. They are the ones that need to be supported.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
You are wrong.
Dennislol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Dennislol123
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts

Speak for yourself bro. Diablo 2 was fun. I guess you forgot that.

Besides, there's a difference between a hack'n'slash RPG like Diablo, and a story-driven RPG like The Witcher.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Stop being a troll in all your posts. Subgenres were invented since then, Diablo 2 is its own genre, if you don't like it, then stop buying them. There is no goal, it's all in your head.
Avatar image for Sign-Number-Two
Sign-Number-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sign-Number-Two
Member since 2011 • 95 Posts

Besides, there's a difference between a hack'n'slash RPG like Diablo, and a story-driven RPG like The Witcher.

Dennislol123
Well, the witcher is even worse than Diablo 2 in terms of click-fest combat.
Stop being a troll in all your posts. Subgenres were invented since then, Diablo 2 is its own genre, if you don't like it, then stop buying them. There is no goal, it's all in your head.DanielDust
A sub-genre that destroyed it's master genre, that's what I'm talking about.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Ya well, CRPG 'destroyed' pen-and-paper RPG. And now, MMO's are taking over the genre. Things change, embrace it damn it.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanielDust
[QUOTE="Sign-Number-Two"] Well, the witcher is even worse than Diablo 2 in terms of click-fest combat.
Stop being a troll in all your posts. Subgenres were invented since then, Diablo 2 is its own genre, if you don't like it, then stop buying them. There is no goal, it's all in your head.DanielDust
A sub-genre that destroyed it's master genre, that's what I'm talking about.

That's like saying, TPSs ruined FPSs because such a different approach to the shooters genre completely ruined FPS. Let's see Diablo 2, Dragon Age, Fallout 1...OMG WAIT, they all destroyed the RPG genre because they're all part of a subgenre. Get over yourself, nobody cares about this apocalypse that will destroy your gaming life.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Uhh no. I will continue buying games that interest me and that includes Torchlight 2. I enjoyed the first one and I don't see why I should not buy the second one.
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Uhh no. I will continue buying games that interest me and that includes Torchlight 2. I enjoyed the first one and I don't see why I should not buy the second one.the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Im with you on this one..Torchlight was a breath of fresh air..Also enjoying darkspore believe it or not..Waiting for ds3 to come around...Torchlight 2 will just own..Than perhaps the king of the hill with any luck..WIll be at the end of the year..Crossing fingers..

yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 yourmajesty90
Member since 2006 • 1420 Posts

tl:dr

I'm gonna buy Torchlight 2 anyway, so your opinion doesn't affect me.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

I think your problem is that you are thinking Diablo 2 is an RPG. I have never looked at it as an RPG, but just an action game (or hack n slash) with RPG elements. I honestly feel that if you count this as an RPG then you would have to count Call of Duty's (since Modern Warfare) online mode to also be an RPG because they both have a leveling system and no story.

And you know what? I am not going to stop buying the games I like. But thank you for deciding I am uninterested in something I am actually very interested in. Its fun thinking you know what other people believe, but it usually comes out wrong. You may dislike something, but usually when games are successful, especially sequels, it tend to mean people liked them (or liked the 1st one).

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

watered down and shallow game-play,

Sign-Number-Two

Stopped reading there.

You haven't even got a single character past Baal on Normal. You don't get to criticize a game you don't know.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DanielDust
I think your problem is that you are thinking Diablo 2 is an RPG. I have never looked at it as an RPG, but just an action game (or hack n slash) with RPG elements. I honestly feel that if you count this as an RPG then you would have to count Call of Duty's (since Modern Warfare) online mode to also be an RPG because they both have a leveling system and no story.Agent_Kaliaver
It actually has a great story, especially for the fans that started with Diablo 1, there isn't a similar game that comes even close.
yemen_headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yemen_headshot
Member since 2010 • 514 Posts
its simple mate, you don't like the game don't BUY IT. i don't like JRPGs but um not gonna force ppl not to buy it, it really doesn't make any sense !!!
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
But Diablo 2 is an ARPG. Very different things.
Branmuffin316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Branmuffin316
Member since 2009 • 1208 Posts

This guy is right we should stop playing games we enjoy so he can be happy

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

RTS destroyed TBS

Deathykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Deathykins
Member since 2007 • 1412 Posts

You're right, there are many Diablo clones out there. I can see why that would be disheartening to someone who dislikes Diablo. But there are plenty of RPGs that have released since Diablo 2 that do not follow the "Diablo Clone" trend.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Dragon Age 1&2
The Witcher
Neverwinter Nights 2
Mass Effect
KOTOR 1&2
Morrowind & Oblivion
Fallout 3 & New Vegas
SpellForce 2
Gothic II & III
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Grandia II
The Last Remnant

Along with many other games. You're simply looking in the wrong areas and completely ignoring RPGs that are nothing like the one that you despise so much. Sure, some developers are following the popular game and cloning it, and making games that many of us enjoy in the process. But there certainly is no lack of non-Diablo-like RPGs.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Dragon Age 2 pretty much went the way of Diablo. Same with Mass Effect.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

Dennislol123
I cringe every time I see someone put the Witcher in the same league as games like Diablo..
rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

This guy is right we should stop playing games we enjoy so he can be happy

Branmuffin316

:D....you will go to heavens if you do this...

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Dragon Age 2 pretty much went the way of Diablo. Same with Mass Effect.F1_2004

Um no in a nut shell..Dragon age 2 is just a dumbed down game..With no depth to it..Thats the devs fault no one elses..They thaought bye not putting gear in the game an being able to not customize your group they would have a great game..Well guess what it made it kind of shallow and borish..The game wasnt bad they just nurfed the hell out of it...

Diablo 3 will have plenty of depth to it..Blizzard knows how to make games last..Like what i see out of it so far..How ever only time will tell how well diablo 3 is..

Oblivion was a dumbed down version of morrwind..Lot of people hated it and loved it..Blame the devs if any thing for getting lazy..There the ones dumbing down games of late..Hated oblivion for what it was..

Diablo 2 how ever is still a game played bye many many people..You may not like the game..Many people do..Myself included..

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]Dragon Age 2 pretty much went the way of Diablo. Same with Mass Effect.Gladestone1

Um no in a nut shell..Dragon age 2 is just a dumbed down game..With no depth to it..Thats the devs fault no one elses..They thaought bye not putting gear in the game an being able to not customize your group they would have a great game..Well guess what it made it kind of shallow and borish..The game wasnt bad they just nurfed the hell out of it...

Diablo 3 will have plenty of depth to it..Blizzard knows how to make games last..Like what i see out of it so far..How ever only time will tell how well diablo 3 is..

Oblivion was a dumbed down version of morrwind..Lot of people hated it and loved it..Blame the devs if any thing for getting lazy..There the ones dumbing down games of late..Hated oblivion for what it was..

Diablo 2 how ever is still a game played bye many many people..You may not like the game..Many people do..Myself included..

There's no depth to Diablo, you just max a few skills and spam them until your mouse buttons break off. It's fun and addictive, but deep it is not.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

There's no depth to Diablo, you just max a few skills and spam them until your mouse buttons break off. It's fun and addictive, but deep it is not.F1_2004

Ever beaten the Uber bosses in Diablo 2?

I thought not. And you know why?

Because you don't know how in-depth the skill system becomes when you try to reach competitive levels.

Dennislol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dennislol123
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]There's no depth to Diablo, you just max a few skills and spam them until your mouse buttons break off. It's fun and addictive, but deep it is not.N30F3N1X

Ever beaten the Uber bosses in Diablo 2?

I thought not. And you know why?

Because you don't know how in-depth the skill system becomes when you try to reach competitive levels.

"Competitive levels" in Diablo 2? Please... are you serious?

I loved Diablo 2 more than large parts of my family, but it really doesn't have a whole lot of depth :p