Diablo 2 - 256 color rainbow effect fix?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by XspidervenomX (292 posts) -

Ive tried everything. Compatibility changes, Video test, everything on every forum. Anyone knbow without guessing, or I think, or maybe, but seriously know how to fix this poor looking game? Playing it in a window not only is annoying but didnt fix it.

THX

Windows 7 Widescreen

#2 Posted by Masculus (2877 posts) -

Ive tried everything. Compatibility changes, Video test, everything on every forum. Anyone knbow without guessing, or I think, or maybe, but seriously know how to fix this poor looking game? Playing it in a window not only is annoying but didnt fix it.

THX

Windows 7 Widescreen

XspidervenomX

Try to alt-tab; select with the right mouse button the screen resolution option; just close the screen; re-maximize the game.

#3 Posted by the_bi99man (11054 posts) -

256 color rainbow effect? Don't think I know what you're talking about.

#4 Posted by Legendaryscmt (12532 posts) -

Close explorer.exe in the task manager and then run the game.

#5 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Retail copy? if so register the s/n on your bnet account and download and install with that installer if not XP, 256 colors, 640 and windows theme in compatibility mode should fix it.
#6 Posted by the_bi99man (11054 posts) -

Retail copy? if so register the s/n on your bnet account and download and install with that installer if not XP, 256 colors, 640 and windows theme in compatibility mode should fix it.DanielDust

Indeed. I registered my old retail copies of D2 and LOD, and downloaded digital copies from bnet. They work perfectly. Have to run as administrator, or bnet doesn't work, though.

#7 Posted by XspidervenomX (292 posts) -

Ya know the old VGA looking graphics,, its all over the internet. Type Diablo 2 Rainbow affect. It just looks terrible, direct download from Blizzard. All the fixes dont work.

On our other pc they look fine bought them at the same time..THX

#8 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -
Retail copy? if so register the s/n on your bnet account and download and install with that installer if not XP, 256 colors, 640 and windows theme in compatibility mode should fix it.DanielDust

Ya know the old VGA looking graphics,, its all over the internet. Type Diablo 2 Rainbow affect. It just looks terrible, direct download from Blizzard. All the fixes dont work.

On our other pc they look fine bought them at the same time..THX

XspidervenomX
Actually, that fix above does work, I've had the problem myself a while ago. Additionally there's also an official D II patch to that problem from Blizzard themselves, so, combine these two and it should run normal looking.