Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Hobiron
Member since 2014 • 66 Posts

Hi

I'v got a desktop pc with GT 9500, it is hooked up to a Dell monitor 29'' (U2913WM). I have troubles getting the max resolution which is 2560 x 1080. According to the GT 9500 specs, this card can support up to 2560x1600.

What i tried so far:

1) Using DVI-D Duel Link cable, i can get 2560 x 1080 with it, but it looks fuzzy/pixelated (it gives 1920x1080 fine).

2) Using DP to DVI cable - monitor can't even recognize this cable at all. it acts like nothing is even hooked up...

I'm kind of at a loss here because i don't understand why the first option looks fuzzy, and why the second option not even recognized by the monitor. There's no HDMI in this card so can't try that... im confused because this card supposed to support up to 2560x1600...

What can be the problem?

BTW, i tried the DVI-D cable on another monitor and it gives the same problem there too, resolution over 1920x1080 looks fuzzy, like it cant push up higher then that... even though it supposed too.. i don't think the card is faulty because it gives 1920x1080 just fine.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@hobiron:

Are you certain your DVI-D cable is actually DVI-D? It sounds like it's not. Check the ends and see if it matches either of the two connectors on the second row.

As for DP to DVI, those cables are not dual link and that kind of conversion usually requires a fairly expensive box (over $100).

-Byshop

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

**Sorry for all the edits**

It's not the card. I had the same issue with my 32" 21:9 monitor. It's the dvi cable. Not that the cable is bad, but you need to use hdmi or display port. I read up on dvi cables which are spec'd to handle the resolution, but dvi never worked for me. I had the same resolution settings as you see now when on dvi. It maxed out at 1920x1080. The second I switched to a display port (also used hdmi), it worked like a charm. My system saw the monitor resolution of 2560x1080p. While I was on the dvi cable, I would hit 1920x1080 and everything looked fuzzy, and really poor. The reason I used the dvi cable at first was because I have multiple inputs going to my monitor and my display port/hdmi ports were already in use (second pc and PS4). My main pc used the display port and the 2560x1080 worked fine, but my secondary pc (connected via the dvi port) wouldn't hit the same resolution. So I ended up swapping out the display port/dvi cables between my computers and poof, the second pc ran at it's native resolution and my main pc wouldn't. I'm pretty sure your video card doesn't have a display port either right? If there was a way to swap out to a card with an hdmi or dp to test it out on, I think you'd see it would work just fine then.

Hobiron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 Hobiron
Member since 2014 • 66 Posts

@joseph_mach said:

It's not the card. I had the same issue with my 32" 21:9 monitor. It's the dvi cable. Not that the cable is bad, but you need to use hdmi or display port. I read up on dvi cables which are spec'd to handle the resolution, but dvi never worked for me. I had the same resolution settings as you see now when on dvi. It maxed out at 1920x1080. The second I switched to a display port (also used hdmi), it worked like a charm. My system saw the monitor resolution of 2560x1080p. While I was on the dvi cable, I would hit 1920x1080 and everything looked fuzzy, and really poor. The reason I used the dvi cable at first was because I have multiple inputs going to my monitor and my display port/hdmi ports were already in use (second pc and PS4). My main pc used the display port and the 2560x1080 worked fine, but my secondary pc (connected via the dvi port) wouldn't hit the same resolution. So I ended up swapping out the display port/dvi cables between my computers and poof, the second pc ran at it's native resolution and my main pc wouldn't. I'm pretty sure your video card doesn't have a display port either right? If there was a way to swap out to a card with an hdmi or dp to test it out on, I think you'd see it would work just fine then.

yeah you got the same problem as me.. problem is that there's no display port in this card...

I'm sure display port will solve the problem because it works well on my main pc..

and yes my DVI cable is for sure DVI-D...

Anyway thanks for the help i'll see what i can do from here, maybe change graphic card..

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

@hobiron said:

@joseph_mach said:

yeah you got the same problem as me.. problem is that there's no display port in this card...

I'm sure display port will solve the problem because it works well on my main pc..

and yes my DVI cable is for sure DVI-D...

Anyway thanks for the help i'll see what i can do from here, maybe change graphic card..

It needs to be dual link DVI.

Looking at the page for it over at nVidia it says it by standard has both a single link and dual link DVI.

It could be a bad cable.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@horgen said:

It needs to be dual link DVI.

Looking at the page for it over at nVidia it says it by standard has both a single link and dual link DVI.

It could be a bad cable.

Sorry, yeah. I meant Dual Link. DVI-D or I do not matter. Either will work but the cable has to be Dual link. The only difference between single link and dual link is the ability to support resolutions about 1080p so if you are capped at 1080p the cable should be the first thing you look at. Even if it is a dual link DVI cable, as horgen mentioned it might just be bad.

If a new graphics card is an option, that would absolutely fix your problem, though. You're trying to get a much older card working with a nice, new monitor. Even if it supports that resolution on paper, there won't be many games you can drive with that card at anywhere near that resolution. Any modern card with DisplayPort would fix your problem.

-Byshop