Decent 5.1 speaker set/no reciever/with mounting screw holes

#1 Edited by Byshop (10966 posts) -

Topic. I'm looking to add some speakers to my cockpit. I have a nice set of Altec Langsing AC48s but they are only 2.1. Ideas?

-Byshop

#2 Posted by Horgen (109953 posts) -

Hmm... Difficult. Getting a decent/good 5.1 or 7.1 system can be expensive. Could always start with what you got and go from there.

#3 Posted by kraken2109 (12950 posts) -

I'm assuming you're after small speakers, which means you're not gonna get good sound

#4 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

What's your budget?

#5 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -

@horgen said:

Hmm... Difficult. Getting a decent/good 5.1 or 7.1 system can be expensive. Could always start with what you got and go from there.

Indeed.. If you get a 5.1 surround set and use your Altec Lansing AC48's as rear speakers, you'll have a 7.2 surround setup for very cheap..

$79.99 + free shipping - Logitech Z506 75w 5.1 Surround Set

#6 Posted by kraken2109 (12950 posts) -

@horgen said:

Indeed.. If you get a 5.1 surround set and use your Altec Lansing AC48's as rear speakers, you'll have a 7.2 surround setup for very cheap..

That's not gonna work. Those speaker sets tend to have the amps in the sub so you can't add any more satellites. Since the inputs are on the subs you wouldn't be able to run two subs either.

TC to do anything that actually sounds good and gives you some options you're gonna want an AV receiver. They're pretty cheap these days anyway. Used speakers are also great value. For the cost of some crappy logitech set you could get some decent speakers second hand to go with a new (or used) receiver.

#7 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

@superclocked said:

@horgen said:

That's not gonna work. Those speaker sets tend to have the amps in the sub so you can't add any more satellites. Since the inputs are on the subs you wouldn't be able to run two subs either.

TC to do anything that actually sounds good and gives you some options you're gonna want an AV receiver. They're pretty cheap these days anyway. Used speakers are also great value. For the cost of some crappy logitech set you could get some decent speakers second hand to go with a new (or used) receiver.

Eh? I think it's a little early for you still. It'll work just fine..

I'm using a Logitech 5.1 X-530 + Logitech 2.1 X-230 to get 7.2 surround..

Center/sub + Front + Side outputs -> 5.1 X-530 sub / amp -> 5 Satellites (w/ front localized bass)

Rear outputs -> 2.1 X-230 sub / amp -> 2 Satellites (w/ rear localized bass)

Also, he said that he doesn't want a receiver or holes in his walls, which is why I recommended the cheap 7.2 setup over something expensive...

#8 Posted by kraken2109 (12950 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

@superclocked said:

@horgen said:

Center/sub + Front + Side outputs -> 5.1 X-530 sub / amp -> 5 Satellites (w/ front localized bass)

Also, he said that he doesn't want a receiver or holes in his walls, which is why I recommended the cheap 7.2 setup over something expensive...

Ah, so you're using them out of separate analogue outputs from your soundcard? I didn't think of doing that.

I guess it's a big annoying since you then have 2 separate volume controls?

I guess it depends what you're after, but I'm way to OCD about sound to do something like that.

#9 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

@superclocked said:

@kraken2109 said:

@superclocked said:

@horgen said:

Ah, so you're using them out of separate analogue outputs from your soundcard? I didn't think of doing that.

I guess it's a big annoying since you then have 2 separate volume controls?

I guess it depends what you're after, but I'm way to OCD about sound to do something like that.

I just keep the volume on both sets at 60% and use the Windows volume control to adjust the volume. It works well, especially for the price..

I got my 10 yr old son a nice audio setup for his XB1, though. He has an 800w 7.1 receiver, floor standing 4-way front speakers with 12" subs, and a nice set of center and surround bookshelf speakers...

#10 Edited by Byshop (10966 posts) -

What's your budget?

I'm flexible on this. I was looking for something easy under the $200 mark, but if there's nothing of quality within that price range I'd be willing to go up closer to the $400-500 mark. If I have to go that high I'd sooner get a reciever, but that's not my first choice. All I need is something with decent quality sound and 5.1 directional. I already have two Yamaha receivers in my man cave (one of which is actually hooked up to this same computer) and I'd prefer not to have to get a third.

I took a look at those Logitechs at Best Buy and they seemed okay. I wasn't clear in my original post (it was late and I'd had a few glasses of wine) but I meant that I want speakers that have mounting holes. The Logitechs I saw on display didn't have any holes so I'd have to use tape/velcro to mount them, although that's not the end of the world. I also have a $100 Best Buy gift card from Christmas that I never got around to spending so I'd be getting them for free. How happy are you with them?

The goal is to get a speaker set to mount on this: http://obutto.com/index.php/new-obutto-speaker-mounts-finally/

-Byshop

#11 Edited by FelipeInside (25036 posts) -
#12 Edited by Byshop (10966 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

I'm assuming you're after small speakers, which means you're not gonna get good sound

Not really.

I have these and they sound freaking amazing: http://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/speaker-system-z906?crid=47

@Byshop, I recommend them and I'm pretty sure they have mounting holes (not 100% sure)

That's pretty close to something I'm looking for. They run about $300 USD on Amazon right now which is a touch more than I was looking to spend, but for a relatively cheap option they have a lot of inputs and features which is nice. I may check those out.

-Byshop

#13 Posted by FelipeInside (25036 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@FelipeInside said:

@kraken2109 said:

Not really.

I have these and they sound freaking amazing: http://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/speaker-system-z906?crid=47

@Byshop, I recommend them and I'm pretty sure they have mounting holes (not 100% sure)

That's pretty close to something I'm looking for. They run about $300 USD on Amazon right now which is a touch more than I was looking to spend, but for a relatively cheap option they have a lot of inputs and features which is nice. I may check those out.

-Byshop

Look at reviews and do some research, but trust me, they sound really good for the price you're paying.

I'm not an audiophile, but I know good sound and bad sound when I hear them.

I also bought it cause of the multiple inputs to connect both my PC and PS4 to them.

They also have a button that simulates 2.1 and 5.1 for audio sources that only come in stereo.

#14 Edited by kraken2109 (12950 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

Not really.

I can't really comment since I've never heard them, but I hate the way logitech doesn't actually provide any real specifications for their speakers. What I can say is for the cost of the Z906 you can almost certainly do better. They're probably what Byshop is after though.

#15 Edited by Byshop (10966 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@kraken2109 said:

Not really.

I can't really comment since I've never heard them, but I hate the way logitech doesn't actually provide any real specifications for their speakers. What I can say is for the cost of the Z906 you can almost certainly do better. They're probably what Byshop is after though.

If there's something better in that price range, I'm happy to entertain the idea. The only point was that whatever I get, I'd like to have a balance between price and quality. I know that a proper reciever and speaker set would be better, but space is limited and this is literally the third 5.1 system I'm setting up in my man cave so I don't see the point is spending a lot on this setup.

-Byshop

#16 Edited by kraken2109 (12950 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@kraken2109 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@kraken2109 said:

Not really.

If there's something better in that price range, I'm happy to entertain the idea. The only point was that whatever I get, I'd like to have a balance between price and quality. I know that a proper reciever and speaker set would be better, but space is limited and this is literally the third 5.1 system I'm setting up in my man cave so I don't see the point is spending a lot on this setup.

-Byshop

Why do you need a third?

If my understanding is correct you want to mount them to a seat/cockpit setup, in which case you're limited to small speakers like those logitechs which removes basically all choice.

Personally I'd just put speaker stands behind the chair and use large speakers. Or even buy used floorstanders.

#17 Posted by Byshop (10966 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@kraken2109 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@kraken2109 said:

Not really.

-Byshop

Why do you need a third?

If my understanding is correct you want to mount them to a seat/cockpit setup, in which case you're limited to small speakers like those logitechs which removes basically all choice.

Personally I'd just put speaker stands behind the chair and use large speakers. Or even buy used floorstanders.

Think of them as different entertainment "stations", with different speaker sets and combinations hooked up to different display devices. I have an 80" projector screen with a Yamaha receiver and 5.1 speaker setup, a 62" DLP TV with the same, and now this is the computer workstation/cockpit. The gaming PC can drive any one of these at a time.

No, small speakers do not "remove all choice" because there are a wealth of options in small speakers. I already have two sets of floor standing speakers for the other two 5.1 sets and a third would be excessive. Also, there are space constraints to deal with in my office.

-Byshop

#18 Edited by DJ_Headshot (6176 posts) -
@Byshop said:

@kraken2109 said:

@Byshop said:

@kraken2109 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@kraken2109 said:

Not really.

-Byshop

Why do you need a third?

Think of them as different entertainment "stations", with different speaker sets and combinations hooked up to different display devices. I have an 80" projector screen with a Yamaha receiver and 5.1 speaker setup, a 62" DLP TV with the same, and now this is the computer workstation/cockpit. The gaming PC can drive any one of these at a time.

No, small speakers do not "remove all choice" because there are a wealth of options in small speakers. I already have two sets of floor standing speakers for the other two 5.1 sets and a third would be excessive. Also, there are space constraints to deal with in my office.

-Byshop

Small speakers don't but a no receiver requirement removes alot of the choice in speakers for a 5.1 setup. Unless you want to spend a good chunk of money on something like the Swan M60 is the only high end 5.1 audio setup I know off that would offer what you that isn't from logitech or creative or some similar company but its $1000 shipped which is alot more then your looking to spend.

I guess since personally when using my pc for gaming or listening to music I'm mostly using it at my desk versus my bed or living room I wouldn't want to compromise in sound quality there. Want to get the best sound quality I could afford no receiver limits choices way to much for me if I wanted to go for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

#19 Edited by Byshop (10966 posts) -

Small speakers don't but a no receiver requirement removes alot of the choice in speakers for a 5.1 setup. Unless you want to spend a good chunk of money on something like the Swan M60 is the only high end 5.1 audio setup I know off that would offer what you that isn't from logitech or creative or some similar company but its $1000 shipped which is alot more then your looking to spend.

I guess since personally when using my pc for gaming or listening to music I'm mostly using it at my desk versus my bed or living room I wouldn't want to compromise in sound quality there. Want to get the best sound quality I could afford no receiver limits choices way to much for me if I wanted to go for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

Amazon's 5.1 Computer Speakers department/category comes up with at least a dozen different options. Obviously my criteria eliminates -some- of the choice, or else they wouldn't really be criteria. Like I said, I already have two 5.1 systems that are pretty damned decent that are driven by the same PC using recievers and matrix switches. The intent here isn't to sit in my leather chair wearing sunglasses indoors listening to Ride of the Valkyries at full blast as the sheer force of the sound slowly pushes my glass of white wine towards the edge of my black cube shaped side table. What I'm looking to find speakers for is this:

My Altec Lansing AC48s are great for my purposes except for the fact that they are not 5.1. I'm not looking for something crazy high end, I'm looking for something that's 5.1 and no worse than my computer speakers that I have now.

-Byshop

#20 Edited by FelipeInside (25036 posts) -

Like I said, those Logitech I recommended would match all your criteria.