Dead Rising 3 not capped at 30 FPS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46272 Posts

A capcom developer has clarified on the Dead Rising 3 community hub on steam that the game will not be capped at 30 FPS, but that you will need beefy hardware to play it maxed out at 60 FPS.

They have uploaded two videos showing the 60 FPS and also giving a look into the options menu which is looking really good (i.e. lots of options)

https://mega.co.nz/#F!G1wXgZAC!aJtEBsc92rCl6dRwb3f31w

https://mega.co.nz/#F!DkIRRI4b!7sunyPNNiXgCE8hZXN5FKw

So will this be a crappy port ? Nope

Will this be the most optimized PC game ever ? Nope

But was it the best Xbox One launch game ? Yes, at least it was to me. I'm glad this is coming to PC so I don't need to get an Xbox One to enjoy this game

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

60fps shouldn't be acceptable either.

Older games have no issues being played at 250fps but this trend of locking to 60fps is an obvious downgrade.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

So we don't have to unlock it to 60 ourselves anymore?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Older games have no issues being played at 250fps but this trend of locking to 60fps is an obvious downgrade.

It's not locked at 60 FPS either.

But, again, the game isn't hugely optimized either. So I'm sure that beefy hardware can play this at medium settings at 120FPS.

That's the point of this thread: it's not the best port ever, but it's not a bad one either (no FPS cap)

Oh, and a few years from now you will be able to play this maxed out at 4K at 120FPS.

@blangenakker said:

So we don't have to unlock it to 60 ourselves anymore?

From what I understand, nope.

You can play at 60FPS (or higher if you have the hardware) out of the box :)

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
@JigglyWiggly_ said:

well they didn't say it would lock at 60..only that it wont be lock at 30

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Capcom titles have been £29.99 on steam with pretty much all titles (sometimes even less). This marks the first time they have (like Ubisoft) decided to raise the price to £39.99 (for a game that has been out on consoles for a now).

No buy.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Does the PC version have Co-Op support or second screen app?

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Good news, but I'm not interested in the game. They lost what made the Dead Rising games unique, and we already have too many serious zombie games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k

@xhawk27 said:

Does the PC version have Co-Op support or second screen app?

It has co-op but no second screen app

@harry_james_pot said:

Good news, but I'm not interested in the game. They lost what made the Dead Rising games unique, and we already have too many serious zombie games.

Loading Video...

I'm not seeing where this game tries to go for a 'serious' zombie experience.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

Have you played it? It's not that serious...

-Byshop

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k

Have you guys watched the videos ?

It gives you a look at the options menu and some gameplay in smooth 60FPS.

Game looks like a lot of fun IMO. It may not be the best looking game ever but the amount of zombies on screen is impressive (and it's what requires good hardware)

@Byshop said:

@harry_james_pot said:

-Byshop

In fact I actually believe that DR games became less and less serious as they went on.

Sure, you had some absurd items in DR1, but the combined weapons in Dead Rising 2 take the cake. Like in the video you can see a traffic light weapon that shoots out flames, electricity and ice

XD

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 harry_james_pot  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

I have not played it, it's not out yet. :P

The only gameplay I saw was the announcement one at last year's E3, I guess it gave me the wrong impression. I still don't like the color palette though, Dead Rising is supposed to be colorful not yellow.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k

@harry_james_pot said:

The only gameplay I saw was the announcement one at last year's E3, I guess it gave me the wrong impression. I still don't like the color palette though, Dead Rising is supposed to be colorful not yellow.

Check out the videos I linked to in the OP.

They give an example of the crazy weapons and vehicles you can create in the game by combining stuff :)

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 harry_james_pot  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k said:

@harry_james_pot said:

Check out the videos I linked to in the OP.

They give an example of the crazy weapons and vehicles you can create in the game by combining stuff :)

I saw it, looks pretty fun. But the colors are killing it for me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k

@harry_james_pot said:

I saw it, looks pretty fun. But the colors are killing it for me.

True, the color palette could've been much better in this game.

A friend of mine bought the Xbone on launch and he bought a bunch of games with it. There were certainly much better looking games at launch than DR3, like Ryse and Forza, but I found that Dead Rising 3 was just the most fun.

So I'm not really that sad that Forza and Ryse ain't coming to PC, I'm just happy that DR3 is :P

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@harry_james_pot said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Was that supposed to be a joke? It was an Xbox One launch title back in November.

Regarding the gameplay, at its core it's still Dead Rising. The only real difference I saw in the gameplay besides the larger, open world was that they made the time limits on missions and rescues much easier. In DR 1 and 2, the only way you were saving -everyone- was with a strategy guide and a carefully planned out course that made the best use of your time. You can pretty leisurely make your way to every side mission in this one and you'd have to try pretty hard to miss the timer on the main story missions. Also, there's this new locker system where you can pull out every kind of weapon/item that you have encountered in the game so far so you no longer have to backtrack constantly to get fresh copies of crafting materials. The other big change they made was you cannot experiment with weapon combinations anymore. You can only combine weapons after you have found the relevant blueprint.

-Byshop

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k

@Byshop said:

Was that supposed to be a joke? It was an Xbox One launch title back in November.

Regarding the gameplay, at its core it's still Dead Rising. The only real difference I saw in the gameplay besides the larger, open world was that they made the time limits on missions and rescues much easier. In DR 1 and 2, the only way you were saving -everyone- was with a strategy guide and a carefully planned out course that made the best use of your time. You can pretty leisurely make your way to every side mission in this one and you'd have to try pretty hard to miss the timer on the main story missions. Also, there's this new locker system where you can pull out every kind of weapon/item that you have encountered in the game so far so you no longer have to backtrack constantly to get fresh copies of crafting materials. The other big change they made was you cannot experiment with weapon combinations anymore. You can only combine weapons after you have found the relevant blueprint.

-Byshop

I'm sure he is talking about the PC version. Not a lot of people own an Xbone :P

I think Dead Rising 3 is a huge improvement over the previous ones. I always wanted to have fun in DR1&2 but I felt constrained by the timer.

DR3 being an open world game and having less strict timers means you can just have way more fun. All of the chances you listed are all for the better imo. This makes DR3 the ultimate DR game and I'm very happy it's coming to PC :)

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator

@Byshop said:

@harry_james_pot said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

-Byshop

Nope, not a joke. We're on the PC forums talking about the PC version, and my sig shows I'm a PC gamer. Plus why would I be talking about gameplay videos if I had already tried the game? :)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Byshop  Moderator

@harry_james_pot said:

Nope, not a joke. We're on the PC forums talking about the PC version, and my sig shows I'm a PC gamer. Plus why would I be talking about gameplay videos if I had already tried the game? :)

Okay, so it's just willful ignorance then. A lot of us have gaming PCs and consoles, plus seeing as how the game has been out since November there are any number of circumstances in which you might have played it. You made statements like you had some knowledge of the game, but I guess that was just blind assumptions based on some E3 videos that you were stating as though they were fact.

@R4gn4r0k said:

I'm sure he is talking about the PC version. Not a lot of people own an Xbone :P

About 5 million people, including myself. DR3 was the only launch title I bought. It's decent, but my interest petered out before I finished the story. Some of the ways in which they made it more accessible feel a bit too easy, although they tried to balance that by offering a hardcore mode that removes some of the perks you get in the normal game.

-Byshop

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k

@Byshop said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

About 5 million people, including myself. DR3 was the only launch title I bought. It's decent, but my interest petered out before I finished the story. Some of the ways in which they made it more accessible feel a bit too easy, although they tried to balance that by offering a hardcore mode that removes some of the perks you get in the normal game.

-Byshop

Hmmm, I can understand that being able to get weapons and vehicles that easily could make the game very easy (just stuck up on the best weapons), but on the other hand this game also gives a sandbox with lots of toys for you to use. So you can have hours of fun without doing any story mission whatsoever...

I own but have never finished Dead Rising 1&2. I always wanted to just have fun and exploring but I always felt like I was on a leash.

You should co-op your way through the story, I heard it's great, and it's another incentive for you to finish the story :)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Byshop  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k: I'll get back to it for sure, I just got sidetracked by other releases. It is a pretty big and fun sandbox to explore, but one of the things that made sandbox exploration more interesting was the Smartglass integration. I'm bummed to hear that won't be in the PC version, so hopefully they'll make up for what you got out of it some other way.

Yes, it's far more relaxed than DR1 and 2, especially around time limits. I beat DR1 but it was a chore, and DR2 I got frustrated with when I failed a story mission because time ran out while I was fighting the enemy for that mission. The problem with games like these is the longer you stay away from them, the harder it is to get back into them because you don't remember all the things you figured out to make the game easier.

-Byshop

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k

@Byshop:

How was smartglass used exactly ?

I don't mind a time limit once in a while, but the entire games were designed around it, and yeah, that got annoying really quick for me. You don't have to finish all the mission in the given time, but you still want to. Instead of giving incentive to replay they should've allowed you to have more time for mission and in between mission, like Dead Rising 3 does right :)

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 harry_james_pot  Moderator

@Byshop said:

@harry_james_pot said:

Okay, so it's just willful ignorance then. A lot of us have gaming PCs and consoles, plus seeing as how the game has been out since November there are any number of circumstances in which you might have played it. You made statements like you had some knowledge of the game, but I guess that was just blind assumptions based on some E3 videos that you were stating as though they were fact.

I did clearly state that I'm saying that based on a gameplay video I saw. A video is certainly not enough to tell you everything about a game, but it's enough to show you the overall tone of it. A color palette plays a big role in the tone, so my statement was regarding a fact shown in the video, not "blind assumption". All that yellowness doesn't exactly scream Dead Rising. Even if DR3 still retains most things from the previous games including the humor, for me the colors simply just kills it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k

@harry_james_pot said:

I did clearly state that I'm saying that based on a gameplay video I saw. A video is certainly not enough to tell you everything about a game, but it's enough to show you the overall tone of it. A color palette plays a big role in the tone, so my statement was regarding a fact shown in the video, not "blind assumption". All that yellowness doesn't exactly scream Dead Rising. Even if DR3 still retains most things from the previous games including the humor, for me the colors simply just kills it.

SweetFX it ? :p

BF3 had some bad colors as well, it needed SweetFX to get way better colors.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Byshop  Moderator

@harry_james_pot said:

I feel like my IQ is going down several points just participating in this conversation.

1) You said your impression was based on gameplay video -after- I asked you if you had played the game.

2) When I asked you if you were joking about the game not being out, that was me giving you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't so completely ignorant of other platforms that you didn't realize that the game has been out already for the better part of a year. Now I think you're just backpeddaling because you didn't actually realize that this game had already been released by trying to turn this around on me and act like I should have known better than to ask because I should have assumed you were a PC-only gamer (which would be an idiotic assumption).

@R4gn4r0k:

The Smartglass feature basically acts as an extended map/pause menu. Mostly, you use it for the map as it'll show you the location of more items. Also, while you are playing with a Smartglass device the "handler" character calls you on the device frequently to tell you were more items and sidequests are in the game. It's nothing you can't find without the Smartglass, but it makes it much easier.

Honestly, while the game is very playable without it (and most of the time I didn't bother setting it up becuase I didn't care) I'm annoyed at Microsoft for releasing multi-platform games but then making specific features exclusive to the/an Xbox. They used to do this with the Kinect, too. Mass Effect had voice commands for squad members in the 360 version through Kinect and while a PC would be perfectly capable of doing this they intetionally left this feature off in the PC versions.

Smartglass is a gimick and frankly not that useful, but I'm still annoyed when PC gets a feature-light version of a game (even if it's a stupid feature). I tried using the Smartglass feature with Forza, and while it was cool to have a far more detailed map on my tablet than I got in the corner of my screen, in the end it wasn't all that helpful. There's a reason why fighter jets use heads up displays. Taking your eyes off of the screen to look at another screen is distracting, especially in a game where you are flying down a mountain road at 100MPH.

-Byshop

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k

@Byshop said:

@R4gn4r0k:

The Smartglass feature basically acts as an extended map/pause menu. Mostly, you use it for the map as it'll show you the location of more items. Also, while you are playing with a Smartglass device the "handler" character calls you on the device frequently to tell you were more items and sidequests are in the game. It's nothing you can't find without the Smartglass, but it makes it much easier.

Honestly, while the game is very playable without it (and most of the time I didn't bother setting it up becuase I didn't care) I'm annoyed at Microsoft for releasing multi-platform games but then making specific features exclusive to the/an Xbox. They used to do this with the Kinect, too. Mass Effect had voice commands for squad members in the 360 version through Kinect and while a PC would be perfectly capable of doing this they intetionally left this feature off in the PC versions.

Smartglass is a gimick and frankly not that useful, but I'm still annoyed when PC gets a feature-light version of a game (even if it's a stupid feature). I tried using the Smartglass feature with Forza, and while it was cool to have a far more detailed map on my tablet than I got in the corner of my screen, in the end it wasn't all that helpful. There's a reason why fighter jets use heads up displays. Taking your eyes off of the screen to look at another screen is distracting, especially in a game where you are flying down a mountain road at 100MPH.

-Byshop

I understand what you say.

Like, I personally would not use smartglass that much if it was supported. I don't even think I can, I don't have a tablet, but perhaps a smartphone works... But still it's an extra option, and it's good for the people who want more options.

Same with the voice commands indeed.

I have that too with the Wii U... And in that game you don't even go that fast XD. Like, the map of the game can be found on the Wii U gamepad; but it's way too distracting to look down on it. In previous MK it could be found on the HUD, which is way better. Or at least they should've allowed us the option...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Byshop  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k said:

I understand what you say.

Like, I personally would not use smartglass that much if it was supported. I don't even think I can, I don't have a tablet, but perhaps a smartphone works... But still it's an extra option, and it's good for the people who want more options.

Same with the voice commands indeed.

I have that too with the Wii U... And in that game you don't even go that fast XD. Like, the map of the game can be found on the Wii U gamepad; but it's way too distracting to look down on it. In previous MK it could be found on the HUD, which is way better. Or at least they should've allowed us the option...

Yeah, regardless of the usefullness of the feature I dislike it when the PC version is gimped in any way. It's like Deus Ex HR DC where they added the Wii U-like functionality back into the 360 and PS3 version of the game, but not the PC version.

-Byshop

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator

@Byshop said:

I feel like my IQ is going down several points just participating in this conversation.

1) You said your impression was based on gameplay video -after- I asked you if you had played the game.

2) When I asked you if you were joking about the game not being out, that was me giving you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't so completely ignorant of other platforms that you didn't realize that the game has been out already for the better part of a year. Now I think you're just backpeddaling because you didn't actually realize that this game had already been released by trying to turn this around on me and act like I should have known better than to ask because I should have assumed you were a PC-only gamer (which would be an idiotic assumption).

Wow, getting upset and resorting to insults.. good for you. I do know the game is out on consoles, but that doesn't mean I had a chance to try it out..

And I certainly did NOT expect you to know I only game on the PC.. I was just TELLING you why I didn't try the other version... >_>

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@harry_james_pot said:

Wow, getting upset and resorting to insults.. good for you. I do know the game is out on consoles, but that doesn't mean I had a chance to try it out..

And yet you very smartass-ed-ly told me it wasn't out when I asked the very reasonable question of had you played it.

"And I certainly did NOT expect you to know I only game on the PC.."

Oh really? Because when you snidely pointed out that we were in the PC gaming forum and how your sig made it obvious that you were a PC gamer, you gave the exact opposite impression.

-Byshop