DayZ : can't access any servers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

Community

So, I've just downloaded the 'ARMA 2' and the 'ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead' off Steam, downloaded the latest version of DayZ-mod off the official site.

The downloads took ages to complete, and they finally got done last night. I followed a video from YouTube on how to properly install and run the DayZ-mod.

Now, everything is suppose to be up and working. Using steam, I accessed the 'ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead' and went to multiplayer.

I found many servers, some with yellow dots by them, some with red crosses, and others with a key-symbol. I quickly figured out that the red crossed-servers were probably servers I couldn't access due to either wrong or outdated data, or cracked/hacked servers. The number of yellow servers were very few , and when I finally found one that had a decent ping-pop I entered only to recieve the message that I didn't have th correct 'dayz_code'-file.
I again visited the dayZ-site and downloaded a newer(?) version of the said file (and the rest...just to make sure). Still, I get the same message on all of the servers. I haven't spent any time in-game yet...

Any of you got any tricks or help that will make this game work properly? I just spent 14 Euros on these two games so I want to be able to play 'em.
Thanks.

giovannimcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 giovannimcc
Member since 2011 • 132 Posts

download and install 6launcher it takes a while to join servers

giovannimcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 giovannimcc

six updater from day z website

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _Judas_
Yeah, thanks. I got the Six Updater. I installed it, and found a game to join in my country and with a low ping count. This time, I didn't get the message, and everything seemed to be going well. After some minutes the message 'recieving' popped-up for 20 seconds only to be replaced with a 'loading' screen. It has been loading for 10 minutes now, not joking... Earlier I let it 'load' for the same amount of time, went to the toilet to take a piss and returned to see it was still loading. I'm beginning to think that these 14 Euros, though not expensive, was a waste of money... It is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth.... haven't played it yet anyway...
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
try joining a 939XX server (i think that was the number). Beside that i suggest you go to the irc channel (you can enter it by browser)... Sadly i dont remember what one. People over there will probably help you.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

You need the correct version of the latest ArmA 2 OA beta patch. It updates weekly and most of the servers switch to it.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KalDurenik
found the irc: http://widget02.mibbit.com/?settings=8d4041fefc5e9e5f7f156a941a95fac3&server=webirc.gamesurge.net%3A6007&channel=%23DayZ&noServerTab=false&autoConnect=true&nick=DayZ_survivor_%3F%3F%3F%3F
id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 id_mew
Member since 2007 • 608 Posts

Follow this guide to install DayZ:http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_install_DayZ.

Installed mine yesterday and it works perfectly.

make sure to allow Arma 2 through windows firewall.

Good luck.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

Follow this guide to install DayZ:http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_install_DayZ.

Installed mine yesterday and it works perfectly.

make sure to allow Arma 2 through windows firewall.

Good luck.

id_mew
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/21/how-to-install-arma-2s-day-z-mod/ I followed this it worked but my rig is to weak to run the game! Waste of money :(
giovannimcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 giovannimcc

Yeh it crashes on me sometimes.

I press ctrl alt escape then ctr alt delete and see if arma 2 is still responding while I surf the internet.

Then when I hear the sea I know its loaded up, or end the process if it says not responding.

Have you ran arma 2 yet?

I cudn't at first but then I ran steam as administrator and it worked.

Shutdown any uneeded programs avast makes it crash for me.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 _Judas_
Thanks for all the help. Yes, I tried to run regular 'Arma 2 : Operation Arrowhead' (did a little fiddling about in a 'scenario') before I downloaded the DayZ-mod. I think I've heard the sea, but it continues to load, and then I get plenty of messages ('recieving' , 'loading' , 'creating character', etc. ). It starts of where I can possibly choose sides, but there is only one side to choose ('opfor') and choose a 'survivor space'. Once I've clicked 'ok', or whatever that button says, the loading of the game commences. Soon after this, the message disappears, I hear sound fx (ambience - ocean), and then all these messages are displayed. I followed this tutorial off YouTube on how to install the game (LINK : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWFv1CUa6Y ). I think I have just a good enough pc to run the game. I'll try to join the mentioned servers later. Do, If I downloaded the game yesterday, I still need to download the latest version of ARMA 2 today?
PlusFour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PlusFour
Member since 2011 • 125 Posts

Make sure you've got the latest beta patch from-http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php/. Also if you're having trouble with the six updater just download the latest dayz version manually from the torrent / mirrors here-http://dayzmod.com/?Download. Make sure that you're joining servers with the same version game / dayz as you.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _Judas_
Ok, thanks. I hadn't downloaded the arma 2 beta patch. Is it really necessery? I am downloading it now and will try out later. Thanks
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KalDurenik
Ok, thanks. I hadn't downloaded the arma 2 beta patch. Is it really necessery? I am downloading it now and will try out later. Thanks_Judas_
Yes its a requirement there are 2 patches... The game (arma 2) and day Z
_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _Judas_

Ok, here is an update: After alot of work, downloading, re-downloading and patching, fixing, tweaking and editing, I eventually entered (and played) DayZ on a server! This game is a darn nuisanceto maintain and run ; maintenence and new patches all the time. Gotta 'keep moving' to always stay up-to-date.

Anyways; my first experience with the game itself was kind of gloomy and, well, dark. I know it is night-time in Norway, and the map was dark, no wait, it was PITCH BLACK! I couldn't find out how to use the flashlight and nobody else on the server wouldn't bother to answer me. It was so dark that I couldn't see anything; I just kept running along the beach,,, this was the only way I was able to see the border between land and sea... damn. Server is down for maintenance so obviously there will be a break. but I am willing to play again.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KalDurenik

Ok, here is an update: After alot of work, downloading, re-downloading and patching, fixing, tweaking and editing, I eventually entered (and played) DayZ on a server! This game is a darn nuisanceto maintain and run ; maintenence and new patches all the time. Gotta 'keep moving' to always stay up-to-date.

Anyways; my first experience with the game itself was kind of gloomy and, well, dark. I know it is night-time in Norway, and the map was dark, no wait, it was PITCH BLACK! I couldn't find out how to use the flashlight and nobody else on the server wouldn't bother to answer me. It was so dark that I couldn't see anything; I just kept running along the beach,,, this was the only way I was able to see the border between land and sea... damn. Server is down for maintenance so obviously there will be a break. but I am willing to play again.

_Judas_
Cant remember how to use flashlight (note you should not do that as it lights your location up like a christmas tree) its like having a giant sign saying "please kill me" ;). Also people cant reply there is no "global" chat. By pressing "." you can switch what channel you speak in (with voice or by text) and you need to be within 100m if i remember correctly for people to be able to hear or read what you say. Also if its dark you could try to join another server like a US one. Aslong as the server is "legit" and accepted by the "hive" your characters data is saved allowing you to play with your character on any server connected to the hive.
_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _Judas_
Ah, ok, but how am I suppose to see anything? Oh, so THAT is why nobody was answering me... cool. Cool cool cool. This game is really 'realistic'. I could try to join a US server, but the ping is usually pretty high. Thank you for being so helpful- I hope the server(s) aren't down for too long; the game seemed kind of cool, and I would love to play it 'for real'.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KalDurenik
[QUOTE="_Judas_"]Ah, ok, but how am I suppose to see anything? Oh, so THAT is why nobody was answering me... cool. Cool cool cool. This game is really 'realistic'. I could try to join a US server, but the ping is usually pretty high. Thank you for being so helpful- I hope the server(s) aren't down for too long; the game seemed kind of cool, and I would love to play it 'for real'.

Well there is night vision things that you can find. And yes you could use it but be warned... Lights and gun shots tends to pull players... And most of the players that go there are not friendly ;). Yeah you want to avoid higher ping servers due to how clunky zombies and the engine itself is. To much delay and things can continue to hit you even after they should be dead.
mattEhhq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mattEhhq
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Can definitely vouch for the lower ping. If you want to play and survive, I take the time to find a quality, low ping and lag free server or your just going to get done over every time!
giovannimcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 giovannimcc

Some advice for it.

put the torch in the tool belt drag and drop it the right side. Then right click on it and select remove from tool belt then press "L" to switch it on and off.

Stay away from villages at the start and find a farmer barn to get a gun, you only start with one bandage which means only being able to withstand one attack from a zombie before bleading to death over time

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _Judas_
Yeah, thanks giovannimcc. I found a hatchet (axe) and a hunting knife, but I couldn't equip 'em. It sucks that you start with NO offence whatsoever, and no way to defend yourself early on. Especially if you are spotted by a fast-moving zombie, then you just have to run...forever!
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KalDurenik
[QUOTE="_Judas_"]Yeah, thanks giovannimcc. I found a hatchet (axe) and a hunting knife, but I couldn't equip 'em. It sucks that you start with NO offence whatsoever, and no way to defend yourself early on. Especially if you are spotted by a fast-moving zombie, then you just have to run...forever!

Well due to how the ai work if you run into a building that have 2 doors then the zombies should have their agro drop. Or run up step hills. You can also jump down a ledge (aslong as the fall is not to bad) that should also make zombies stop hunting you. Just remember that they will run to the last "sound" spot. So you need to start sneaking once you are out of line of sight if you do any of the above. Else they will continue to hear you and run after you.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#23 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Yeah, thanks giovannimcc. I found a hatchet (axe) and a hunting knife, but I couldn't equip 'em. It sucks that you start with NO offence whatsoever, and no way to defend yourself early on. Especially if you are spotted by a fast-moving zombie, then you just have to run...forever!_Judas_

You use to start with a handgun but its MUCh better now starting with nothing.

Its so easy to find a weapon that starting with one seems pointless and a bit to easy.

Once you learn what buildings have decent things and what cities to check out early on its not hard at all bud. Keep at it!

If you die and restart, try finding Cherno or Bolata, I go there all the time now when I die (Bolata for a gun, usually ak or shotgun and then I go to cherno to get medical supplie such as blood bags and morphene). Then I head up north!

Good luck!

PS: you can use SHIFT key to walk slowely so you dont attract zombies. When I respawn after dyign I jsut take my time and walk very slow so zombies dont come after you and if they do just run away as they will eventually leave you if you run fast enough and in trees. Entering a building also works to slow them down.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 _Judas_
yeah, thanks for all the help, I am getting along slowly. Still some issues with connecting to servers, but my connection is pretty decent. My computer barely runs this game, and the game itself is a lagfest. It is almost unplayable. I have every setting on 'very low' or 'disabled' but still... I was recently visited by a helicopter, and a man in a Ghilie suit jumped out. He spoke to me in Russian while pointing his gun in my face. I told him that I had nothing, but I am not sure he understood (chat? Direct Communication, vehicle communication, group communication?). Suddenly he dropped everything he held and promted me to take it, so I did. Now, I have a silenced handgun and a sniper rifle. Nice! I only find crap when I am searching houses and barns. Empty tin cans and empty soda cans, and car parts. I don't quite understand the inventory system yet, but atleast I can use bandages and stuff. Sometimes I get the message ; 'no room in inventory', but I still see it in my inventory.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KalDurenik
well... if you are running around in a town that is not a high risk zone (south main towns, airfields and so on). Then you can take the items up from the ground and then put them down somewhere else and after a while new items will spawn at that location if you walk away for like 5-15min. Direct communication is for people within range... Im not 100% sure what the other ones do... I guess vehicle is for people in the same vehicle as you. No idea about group one. The inventory system work like this... You have 3 inventory areas (well 2+bag) The top one can hold food, main gun ammo, water, firewood, meds and so on. While the lower one can hold bandages and 2ndary gun ammo (pistols and stuff). Your backpack can hold guns (they take 4+slots if i remember correctly) and everything else. Beside that you can move items around from the list to the left. If you open your bag you can see on one side the things inside the bag and on the other side of the list things in your main inventory. Also remember if you pick up a new backpack that you need to either remove your old items from it or take the items from your old backpack once its on the ground... Hope it helps :P
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kozzy1234

Great guide for INVENTORY/GEAR

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/691-guide-gearinventory/

TONS of info on arma2,etc..

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

Dayz Map

http://dayzdb.com/map#5.049.125

List of the different kinds of vehicles

http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vehicles

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 _Judas_
Thank you for these great guides and for all the helpful information posted here. I just went into the arma2oa.cfg-file and tweaked it so that the game looks pretty awful, but atleast now it is playable, running smoothly. Finally killed my first couple of zombies. The death-animations of the zombies looks like they are lunging forward, so a couple of times I used more bullets than I needed to. I have no idea where I am on the map, and many of the places look similiar. Just now I am at what looks like a small farm of some kind. There are silos and barns all around. So, you can store additional weapons in the backpack? I haven't figured out how to use the backpack. Currently I am carrying a super nice sniper rifle that some pilot gave me (read above), and I found a Winchester Shotgun in on of the barns ; can I keep the shotgun in my backpack? How do I update my map? I am really appreciating all the information you guys are posting, hopefully there are others that are appreciating it aswell :)
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KalDurenik
You should find a town and then if you have a compass check your directions. If you dont have one you can use a watch for it also. There is also a GPS that you can find. And yes atleast you should be able to store more guns in your backpack
_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 _Judas_
It seems I can only join games by using the Six Launcher. If I try using Steam, every server is unconnectable (get the message 'could not connect' or something), but as long as I keep the graphics ultra-low and the start the game using Six Launcher, I'll keep playing the game :) I tried to put my super-sniper in the backpack, but it disappeared :/ Then some a@hole attacked me and shot me. He chased me around (I didn't return fire... I didn't want to waste bullets nor hurt a 'human') a giant house, then he said he'll let me live... Idiot! Now my screen is all bland and grey. I met another guy that seemed more friendly, atleast he didn't shoot at me. He said (why doesn't anybody type/chat?) that he had to hurry (?). I told him he could have some AK-mags that I found, and he retorted ' you are a noob'. So much for a co-op game :D @KalDurenik : yeah, haven't found out all of the controls yet - do I have to find a watch or is that something we are equipped with from the start?
_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 _Judas_
You gotta be kidding me!!? After playing the game how it is suppose to be played for three days, never had any encounters that left me damaged with zombies, suddenly this prick comes to the roof where I am 'saving' and shoots me!! HOW ANNOYING!! I start up again and realize I have lost EVERYTHING! My silenced Beretta, my sawed-off shotgun, all my flares- EVERYTHING!! How f@ckin annoying!! I start off by the beach again, and I try to locate a barn or 'farm-country' as soon as possible. Now, I am better skilled at avoiding zombies, and manages to leave the first area unschated- ONLY TO BE SHOT AGAIN BY ANOTHER IDIOT!! I thought this was co-op?! Sorry for the blog-like entry, just that this game is frustrating...
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kozzy1234

Why did you get the idea that this is a coop only game?
Its just as much about PvP as it is coop.

My advice is to get some people to meet up with in game.

This is not a game you will learn everythign and be awesome at within a few days or a week. The first few weeks for people in DAYZ include ALOT of death, keep learning and you will get better and better.

Yes there is some bad people in the game that will shoot you on sight but there is also alot of people that will help out (For example I have given away 9 things of morphene to people who had broken bones and could not walk. 8 of the people said thank you and did not shoot me, but the 9th person shot me after I saved him. Thats just the way it is in dayz and one of the main reasons why I love it, you have to stay on yoru toes at all times, even with people you think are friends).

Feel free to msg me your steam name or skype name and I will come help you out sometime if you want (I am up north atm though so might take 10-15misn to get back down south)

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 _Judas_
It seems the connecting-problem is solved now, but I will keep this topic active as it gives me information about how the game works and so forth. Yes, @kozzy1234 I guess you are right ; and this does make the game more real and, in my opinion, better. It was just so incredibly frustrating and unfair to die like that. The thing is that I could've killed him easily, but I was typing a message (to him). Yeah, I actually got visited by a dude in a helicopter. He asked me If I spoke English (he was Russian I believe), and he helped me a lot. He dropped all his equipment (duplicants?) and let me take it, and it included the silenced Beretta... which I now realize how good it really was for those stealth kills, and a super-sniper weapon. My friends are busy playing SW:TOR or LOL, but I am better as a lone wolf ; that way I can't f@ck-up for others and they can't f@ck-up for me :) I still hope to meet some friendly guys to trade or swap ammo or food supplies with.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KalDurenik
Well i could play with you some time. Not that i have any items right now as my character got deleted for some unknown reason (alpha so im not that bothered by it).