Darkfall Unholy Wars releases on Steam

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Zyamaman (1774 posts) -

Yeah, just saw it on Steam and wondered what the hell it even is...

What you've described here sounds pretty interesting, but it seems they're asking a full $40 for what is essentially an under-the-radar Indie title (how much was Chivalry at launch, $20?), so I'm not yet convinced it's worth it.

Question: you mentioned fully-droppable gear on death. How does one go about acquiring said gear in the first place?

I'm asking because I still have the bitter aftertaste from WarZ in my mouth, in which they used the same gameplay mechanic, except they also charged real money for gear, and never warned that it was irretrievable upon death...

EDIT:

Yeah, just checked their site, it seems that in addition to the $40 up front, they're also gonna chagre you another $15 as a monthly fee! Yeah, right!

These folks seem to be pretty delusional as to the current pricing trends in the modern MMO community...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but SWTOR dug it's own grave on this exact issue. And that was a massive triple-A title with a huge budget.

Good luck to them, all I can say

#2 Posted by Wasdie (49544 posts) -

I'm playing it now and it's absolutly brutal. Unless you want to sink some time into an MMO, this game isn't for you.

Lots of fun to be had once you learn it and somehow grind your way to an acceptible level for PvP.

Lots of bugs too. This game is extremely niche and isn't aiming for anything more than a tiny audience. Don't expect really positive reviews.

#3 Posted by Falconoffury (1717 posts) -

After about a week of release directly from the Darkfall website, the game finally launches on Steam. I have been having a blast, and I wanted to let this forum know.

Darkfall is an open-world, full-loot PvP, non-instanced world. Starter towns and areas have a small safe area, where PvP is disabled. Roughly 90% of the world is free-for-all PvP. The combat is something like Chivarly, or War of the Roses because it has no targetting system. It's a first-person or third-person shooter with archery, melee weapons, and magic. It's full twitch, because you can move constantly while attacking, friendly fire is always on, and you can't walk through players or monsters. Anyone who dies and gets executed drops all items he had at the time, free for anyone to loot. You get a global bank, to hold your stockpile of gear and wealth. Finally, the game has cities and hamlets that can be sieged and captured from clans. These holdings gain wealth to clans through the control of nearby villages. These holdings can be built using resources acquired in the game, and partially destroyed during sieges.

If you guys are looking for twitch PvP, there is hard to find better out there.

#4 Posted by ShimmerMan (4426 posts) -

The Footage shown doesn't look that good, I'll wait reviews but not expecting much.

#5 Posted by Wasdie (49544 posts) -

Yeah, just saw it on Steam and wondered what the hell it even is...

What you've described here sounds pretty interesting, but it seems they're asking a full $40 for what is essentially an under-the-radar Indie title (how much was Chivalry at launch, $20?), so I'm not yet convinced it's worth it.

Question: you mentioned fully-droppable gear on death. How does one go about acquiring said gear in the first place?

I'm asking because I still have the bitter aftertaste from WarZ in my mouth, in which they used the same gameplay mechanic, except they also charged real money for gear, and never warned that it was irretrievable upon death...

EDIT:

Yeah, just checked their site, it seems that in addition to the $40 up front, they're also gonna chagre you another $15 as a monthly fee! Yeah, right!

These folks seem to be pretty delusional as to the current pricing trends in the modern MMO community...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but SWTOR dug it's own grave on this exact issue. And that was a massive triple-A title with a huge budget.

Good luck to them, all I can say

Zyamaman

Monthly fees are fine when they give constant content updates and make it worth the money. $15 a month is nothing if a game can keep you entertained.

SWTOR dug its own grave by being very underwhelming, unoriginal, buggy, and mostly overhyped. The subscription fee didn't mean anything. 10+ million people sitll paying for WoW, 500k+ paying for Eve Online, nearly 1 million paying for RIFT, and there are a lot of other long-standing MMORPGs that require a monthly fee that are still going strong. 

The subscription model isn't outdated nor is it bad. I think it's superior than F2P as F2P always results in way too much grind and no sense of completion to the game. 

#6 Posted by Falconoffury (1717 posts) -

Most MMORPGs I bought were $50 in my lifetime. The subscription fee is there instead of a cash shop. I find the subscription fee is a better fit for this game because players are essentially in a struggle for limited resources. I think this game will hold a fanbase for a long time, because so few developers are even attempting a game like this.

Here are a couple videos from players of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g9DUhFsMJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUZp-UTSU94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5fWL_BDZ-Q

#7 Posted by Jebus213 (8717 posts) -

Game looks really bad.

#8 Posted by MBirdy88 (7396 posts) -
I bet the production values are still utter garbage and the world/art design is as bad as the first. Shame, brilliant concept.... but no worthwhile developers will take up the risk of making a sandbox in a mindless thempark run MMO industry.
#9 Posted by Falconoffury (1717 posts) -

I bet the production values are still utter garbage and the world/art design is as bad as the first.MBirdy88

The graphics look like a nice upgrade over the first Darkfall, but some gamers have such high expectations on graphics. It's no Crysis 3. Not sure what you mean by the world/art design. I mainly play it for the gameplay and game design.

#10 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

My concern with a game like this would be the community more than anything else. How is it? The PvP community in MMO's these day is typically horrific, it seems a game like this would like flypaper for them.

#11 Posted by 3aNkabot (620 posts) -
This really looks awful, why not stick with something like chivalry or even forge instead, and really monthly subs ? what a joke.
#12 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -
This really looks awful, why not stick with something like chivalry or even forge instead, and really monthly subs ? what a joke.3aNkabot
It is nothing like those games you mention. Like Wasdie said, this is a niche game....you obviously don't get it.
#13 Posted by Wasdie (49544 posts) -

My concern with a game like this would be the community more than anything else. How is it? The PvP community in MMO's these day is typically horrific, it seems a game like this would like flypaper for them.

vfibsux

It's exactly what you would expect. Mostly griefers and trolls. Only way to really have fun is grind in the safe zones and join a clan that won't gank you constantly.

It's not a very good game but the potential and the mechanics that are in place make me want to keep playing it quite a bit. 

Seiges lasting for 2 hours and hundreds of players that have a major impact on the politics between the clans are great. Also you can build boats and ships and sail around pirating other player's boats. Lots of fun to be had for those willing to put the time in.

The combat is kind of weak but still very skill based if you have 2 players of similar level. They could make a lot of audio, visual, and animation adjustments to improve the actual combat. Those things will come in time I guess.

#14 Posted by Falconoffury (1717 posts) -

This really looks awful, why not stick with something like chivalry or even forge instead, and really monthly subs ? what a joke.3aNkabot

Chivalry and Forge are nice and fun games to play, but Darkfall has many different aspects. The main difference is the idea of high stakes. High level gear is expensive, and time-consuming to acquire the resources. Using it grants more power, but also presents the possibility of losing it. Player cities and hamlets are additional strategic areas and resources that can be lost. You just respawn in Chivalry or Forge. There is no lasting risk. It's no joke at all. I find it makes the game more serious.

#15 Posted by Wasdie (49544 posts) -

[QUOTE="3aNkabot"]This really looks awful, why not stick with something like chivalry or even forge instead, and really monthly subs ? what a joke.Falconoffury

Chivalry and Forge are nice and fun games to play, but Darkfall has many different aspects. The main difference is the idea of high stakes. High level gear is expensive, and time-consuming to acquire the resources. Using it grants more power, but also presents the possibility of losing it. Player cities and hamlets are additional strategic areas and resources that can be lost. You just respawn in Chivalry or Forge. There is no lasting risk. It's no joke at all. I find it makes the game more serious.

I really wish the combat in Darkfall was more like Chivalry. It's really floaty and disconnected.

Though I do like how long a fight lasts in Darkfall. Each good PvP fight lasts for at least 5 minutes with bigger ones taking much longer. Even at a low prowess level it takes awhile to bring you down in a 1v1. 

#16 Posted by 4th3ist (510 posts) -

I played Darkfall 1.0 from release for a little over a year on the EU server and then NA. I pre-ordered D:UW and I couldn't even get the game running above 20fps on any settings. That aside I wish they just relaunched DF1.0 with all the audio and visual assets they made during post launch. It seemed like thats how most of the 'vets' felt about the game on the beta forums. What was left of the core community anyways. That game had a hardcore following since 2003, and people with the registration dates to prove it. They totally abandoned the audience that orignally hyped their game. Thats why they are all gone.

I'm not saying DF:UW is a bad game since I didn't get a chance to really try it. DF1.0 was incredible for me however. The probem is that Aventurine is a shady B-Class company that cant be trusted to maintain or improve their game. I already felt ripped off because the game basically didn't work at all for me while I could do 300v300 siegs in 1.0, and there was no indication that the engine was that unstable. The graphics 'improvements' hardly justify the performance hit.

People that would enjoy this game are the same people that would of enjoyed PvP or Faction systems in Ultima Online '97- circa 2001. There is a fantastic city/hamlet ownership system, regional resources, (half baked) player housing, boats, and a lot of other nice things. If thats your kind of thing and you have a good PC (better then a c2duo e6750, 4gigs of ram, and a GTX 285) then give this game a shot. Its not worth throwing monthly at however unless you enjoy PvP. There are plenty of systems in place for people that aren't interested in PvP but its pretty much going to be inevitable. You will die and lose your shit.

#17 Posted by KHAndAnime (13286 posts) -

[QUOTE="Falconoffury"]

[QUOTE="3aNkabot"]This really looks awful, why not stick with something like chivalry or even forge instead, and really monthly subs ? what a joke.Wasdie

I really wish the combat in Darkfall was more like Chivalry. It's really floaty and disconnected.

Though I do like how long a fight lasts in Darkfall. Each good PvP fight lasts for at least 5 minutes with bigger ones taking much longer. Even at a low prowess level it takes awhile to bring you down in a 1v1. 

Sucks to hear that. When I beta-tested the first Darkfall (was uber excited, have been a hardcore forum follower since '07), the combat was a complete and utter lag fest. Pretty much what I considered to be far from playable (and really far from enjoyable).

If there's anything they should try to get right in this game, it would be the combat.