Darkfall Sequel coming 12/12/12!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts

Link

I never played the first one, I got into MMOs too late in the games life to make a investment, so I am definitely excited about the sequel. The marking for the game is almost nonexistent though, I just found out about it today. Apparently you cant even preorder it either.

Negative aspects aside the twitch based MMO pvp has me intrigued. I have also heard many good things about its wvw and crafting.

Edit: Its also on Steam Greenlight! Go vote it up!

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
A hardcore pvp focused sandbox MMO in today's market will probably never reach a large audience, nothing wrong with that. I look forward to playing it during the winter vacation.
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
That is true, but on the front page of that site, it has overtaken GW2 for page hits. I believe that if devs stop making bad MMOs and give gamers what they want, the game will thrive enough to be profitable.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zubinen
That is true, but on the front page of that site, it has overtaken GW2 for page hits. I believe that if devs stop making bad MMOs and give gamers what they want, the game will thrive enough to be profitable. IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
What gamers "want" on paper is different from what gamers "want" in practice but clearly DFO2 is going to be a bit more accessible than DFO1 so we'll have to see how things go, for instance there was a huge interest in Tera in NA at some point and the NA version of the game literally died off within a month despite there initially being a trend of increasing interest in the game.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I fell in love with the concept for the original Darkfall and beta-tested it and everything, but the launch that followed was literally the worst launch in MMO history. I don't remember the exact details of it, but it was scary how painful of a launch it was - I never ended up buying the game because of it. So I think I'll wait until after the release of the sequel before making any decisions. :P
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zubinen
I fell in love with the concept for the original Darkfall and beta-tested it and everything, but the launch that followed was literally the worst launch in MMO history. I don't remember the exact details of it, but it was scary how painful of a launch it was - I never ended up buying the game because of it. So I think I'll wait until after the release of the sequel before making any decisions. :PKHAndAnime
Correct although I do recall you making assumptions along the lines of DF1 being the same two years after its disastrous launch(I'm sure you know MMOs change a lot over time) but I can't say I blame you, a couple friends of mine who I played DotA with were really excited for DF1 as if it was the second coming of Christ, maybe DF2 is, we'll see :P
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]I fell in love with the concept for the original Darkfall and beta-tested it and everything, but the launch that followed was literally the worst launch in MMO history. I don't remember the exact details of it, but it was scary how painful of a launch it was - I never ended up buying the game because of it. So I think I'll wait until after the release of the sequel before making any decisions. :PZubinen
Correct although I do recall you making assumptions along the lines of DF1 being the same two years after its disastrous launch(I'm sure you know MMOs change a lot over time) but I can't say I blame you, a couple friends of mine who I played DotA with were really excited for DF1 as if it was the second coming of Christ, maybe DF2 is, we'll see :P

Two years isn't nearly enough time to fix what was wrong with the game (nor is it enough time for a sequel). They don't have a big team, there's only so much reparation that can be done.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i know graphics aren't everything, especially when talking about an MMO, but good god, it wouldn't hurt to have SOME production values. it looks like something out of 2006.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i was wondering what ever happened to this game.. i followed it many years ago and they were saying it was supposed to be the next Ultima Online. might have to give it a try

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

i know graphics aren't everything, especially when talking about an MMO, but good god, it wouldn't hurt to have SOME production values. it looks like something out of 2006.BrunoBRS

Games today look almost the same as those in 2006, as far as graphic quality. The interface alone brings this game into 2012 quality. The Darkfall blog is a good place to find info and see the latest videos. The last few videos have impressed me. This could be a sleeper hit.

Darkfall Blog

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i know graphics aren't everything, especially when talking about an MMO, but good god, it wouldn't hurt to have SOME production values. it looks like something out of 2006.Falconoffury

Games today look almost the same as those in 2006, as far as graphic quality. The interface alone brings this game into 2012 quality. The Darkfall blog is a good place to find info and see the latest videos. The last few videos have impressed me. This could be a sleeper hit.

Darkfall Blog

2006 graphics:

http://www.elitistsnob.com/images/Oblivion%202006-05-21%2008-38-25-15.jpg

2012 graphics:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4560/guildwars22012102920011.png

and that's picking games that darkfall should be on par with.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Falconoffury

2006 graphics:

2012 graphics:

BrunoBRS

Thank you. I rest my case.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

2006 graphics:

2012 graphics:

Falconoffury

those look similar? :lol:

i don't know why i'm bothering, but here's another example:

http://orange.half-life2.com/images/screens/hl2/HL2_Screen03.jpg

VS

http://images.eurogamer.net/2011/articles//a/1/4/1/3/5/1/1/battlefield2.png

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Falconoffury

You are just proving my point more and more. Aside from a few lighting gimmicks, graphic quality is almost the same. Many newer games have washed out textures, and the 2006ish games are sometimes better on texture quality.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zubinen
i know graphics aren't everything, especially when talking about an MMO, but good god, it wouldn't hurt to have SOME production values. it looks like something out of 2006.BrunoBRS
I don't think people who are at all concerned about the graphics would have a very good time on a non-themepark MMO.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i know graphics aren't everything, especially when talking about an MMO, but good god, it wouldn't hurt to have SOME production values. it looks like something out of 2006.Zubinen
I don't think people who are at all concerned about the graphics would have a very good time on a non-themepark MMO.

that's not an excuse though. EVE doesn't look like sh!t. even archeage looks passable.

that game looks worse than morrowind.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Game looks promising, but DarkFall Online had a lot of problems and so might Unholy Wars. We will see what happens when the game comes out.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Zubinen"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i know graphics aren't everything, especially when talking about an MMO, but good god, it wouldn't hurt to have SOME production values. it looks like something out of 2006.BrunoBRS

that's not an excuse though. EVE doesn't look like sh!t. even archeage looks passable.

that game looks worse than morrowind.

Good thing then that gameplay triumphs graphics.

And morrowind still beats a lot of modern games simply put because it plays better than the likes of skyrim, oblivion and fallout 3.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Falconoffury

Darkfall was greenlit on Steam after only 2 days. That might be a record.

Watch the new air elementalist video.

http://www.darkfallonline.com/blog/?p=3428

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Falconoffury

Here is a 47 minute video interview between someone at MMORPG.com and Tasos (project lead). It contains quite a few bits of new information. I'm happy to hear the "limbo" system was scrapped. I also like that crafting has no limitations.

http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/344139754

IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
I would happily play a game with the visuals of Darkfall as long as its not the MMO crap we've been getting nowadays. If I want eyecandy ill boot up BF3 or something, if i want rich gameplay hopefully Darkfall will deliver.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="Falconoffury"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

2006 graphics:

2012 graphics:

BrunoBRS

those look similar? :lol:

i don't know why i'm bothering, but here's another example:

http://orange.half-life2.com/images/screens/hl2/HL2_Screen03.jpg

VS

http://images.eurogamer.net/2011/articles//a/1/4/1/3/5/1/1/battlefield2.png

That's actually the hl2 beta
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="Falconoffury"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i know graphics aren't everything, especially when talking about an MMO, but good god, it wouldn't hurt to have SOME production values. it looks like something out of 2006.BrunoBRS

Darkfall Blog

2006 graphics:

http://www.elitistsnob.com/images/Oblivion%202006-05-21%2008-38-25-15.jpg

2012 graphics:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4560/guildwars22012102920011.png

and that's picking games that darkfall should be on par with.

which one are you arguing looks better?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] That's actually the hl2 beta

that's actually from the orange box's official website, apparently.
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Falconoffury

I see any argument against the graphics of Unholy Wars as all about personal taste, unless someone can get into some technical details as to why the game has poor graphics.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Maroxad

I would happily play a game with the visuals of Darkfall as long as its not the MMO crap we've been getting nowadays. If I want eyecandy ill boot up BF3 or something, if i want rich gameplay hopefully Darkfall will deliver. IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Personally, I dont mind bad graphics as long as I can see what is going on.

Even then, there are things that take away immersion far more than bad graphics such as...

• Killing a guy only to have hiim come back after 10 minutes
  • A world that feels stagnant and artificial
  • Absurd weapon design like this

800px-Mjolnir.jpg

Yeah... that is a hammer. Looks like an electric broccoli to me.