This topic is locked from further discussion.

Majistrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Majistrate
Member since 2011 • 331 Posts

What do you think the PC modding community will create for Dark Souls? What mods would you like to see?

I'd like to see a graphics mod, because although the game is already looking brilliant, I like to see the full power of the PC utilized in PC games. Wouldn't mind some armour/weapon mods too, to add some stuff into the game. Not very imaginative/creative mods I know, but that's all I really want, as the gameplay is already brilliant from what i've heard/seen (never played the game before, so hyped for the PC release though)

What about you? What would you like to see?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Were mods confirmed?

If it's using GFWL, I'm doubting it will be open for modding. If they are choosing a closed networking infrastructure, they are probably going to close off all of the files too.

It's not going to be a PC game. It's a quick and dirty port. GFWL kind of proves that. They don't want to stray to far from the Xbox 360 verison and they are still really worried about piracy.

The game is going to be pirated so much because of GFWL.

Majistrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Majistrate

Ah, I hadn't realised that GFWL eliminated the ability to mod, just thought all PC games were modable :P

Still, if modding WAS possible, what mods would people like to see?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Wasdie  Moderator

Ah, I hadn't realised that GFWL eliminated the ability to mod, just thought all PC games were modable :P

Still, if modding WAS possible, what mods would people like to see?

Majistrate

Well GFWL doesn't eliminate mods, but the choice to use GFWL is evidence that the developer probably won't make their files open for modding.

Modding for Dark Souls also will be very difficult becuase of the co-op elements. It's not a PC game. The game isn't really designed to be able to handle mods. That's something you can't just tack on at the end and expect it to work.

Majistrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Majistrate

I suppose, hadn't really thought much before I created the thread haha, completely forget about the unique co op too, which sort of eliminates any chance of mods, unless they're graphical, and don't change your gameplay in any way, shape or form.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I suppose, hadn't really thought much before I created the thread haha, completely forget about the unique co op too, which sort of eliminates any chance of mods, unless they're graphical, and don't change your gameplay in any way, shape or form.

Majistrate

I'll be fine with that!

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#7 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I doubt there will be any mods for Dark Souls.

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

Were mods confirmed?

If it's using GFWL, I'm doubting it will be open for modding. If they are choosing a closed networking infrastructure, they are probably going to close off all of the files too.

It's not going to be a PC game. It's a quick and dirty port. GFWL kind of proves that. They don't want to stray to far from the Xbox 360 verison and they are still really worried about piracy.

Wasdie

you are wrong. mod or not. You act as if steam is a perfect solution for everything (it's not, I've had issues with that service-verying file integrity again and again). I remember people going berserk when certain games required steamworks as drm and they also made the same "This game is going to be pirated because it requires steam only" argument.

You are overreacting with the GFWL thing. If you've had problems with it in the past, well, too bad. Not all of us did. Second you are acting as if this is the first major port to come with GFWL for it's networking : Street fighter 4 did, resident evil did, pretty much nearly all capcom titles this gen did and the upcoming Street fighter x tekken will as well. People **** but the games still sold well.

It's not about fearing for piracy, it's about what's more logical. There were no plans for a pc version in the first place, but due to demand, here we are. Did you really expect namco to fund a total rewrite of the netcode? I mean, how did anyone not expect this when they requested for a port ?

It's common sense man, and usually I tend to agree with your reasoning, but this time you are blowing this out of proportion. I'm not trying to say gfwl is without issues or trying to downplay the issues you and others have had with it, but chill out, this should have been obvious to everyone when they requested for a port.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Were mods confirmed?

omenodebander

you are wrong. mod or not. You act as if steam is a perfect solution for everything (it's not, I've had issues with that service-verying file integrity again and again). I remember people going berserk when certain games required steamworks as drm and they also made the same "This game is going to be pirated because it requires steam only" argument.

You are overreacting with the GFWL thing. If you've had problems with it in the past, well, too bad. Not all of us did. Second you are acting as if this is the first major port to come with GFWL for it's networking : Street fighter 4 did, resident evil did, pretty much nearly all capcom titles this gen did and the upcoming Street fighter x tekken will as well. People **** but the games still sold well.

It's not about fearing for piracy, it's about what's more logical. There were no plans for a pc version in the first place, but due to demand, here we are. Did you really expect namco to fund a total rewrite of the netcode? I mean, how did anyone not expect this when they requested for a port ?

It's common sense man, and usually I tend to agree with your reasoning, but this time you are blowing this out of proportion. I'm not trying to say gfwl is without issues or trying to downplay the issues you and others have had with it, but chill out, this should have been obvious to everyone when they requested for a port.

I have no idea why you went on that rant. I know exactly why they used GFWL, but it's not a popular platform. I never said I wanted it on Steam either.

I'm not wrong saying that Dark Souls probably won't be moddable, especially if they are using GFWL. All for the exact reasons you just said with the netcode and whatnot. I clearly stated that Dark Souls was never a PC game and they don't really want to waste a lot of money rebuilding it for the PC.

However GFWL is not popular and could lead to a lot of piracy.

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 omenodebander

[QUOTE="omenodebander"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Were mods confirmed?

Wasdie

I have no idea why you went on that rant. I know exactly why they used GFWL, but it's not a popular platform. I never said I wanted it on Steam either.

I'm not wrong saying that Dark Souls probably won't be moddable, especially if they are using GFWL. All for the exact reasons you just said with the netcode and whatnot. I clearly stated that Dark Souls was never a PC game and they don't really want to waste a lot of money rebuilding it for the PC.

It's going to be a long while before the game releases, let's just wait and find out what happens upon release, how about that?

BTW: are you the one who made that crysis 2 graphics config mod? Just wondering, I could have sworn I saw your name on a website praising the mod.

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 omenodebander

[QUOTE="omenodebander"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Were mods confirmed?

Wasdie

It's going to be a long while before the game releases, let's just wait and find out what happens upon release, how about that?

BTW: are you the one who made that crysis 2 graphics config mod? Just wondering, I could have sworn I saw your name on a website praising the mod.