Damn cant overclock with this motherboard!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

So first i had a H61 motherboard, so i was in the market for a new one since my 2500k was screaming to be OC'd, so i actually did some research and ended up getting Asus P8B75-V motherboard from newegg, people actually claimed that you can OC with this board and thats its a gem. Now this thing has a locked multiplier, cant trust the internet or Asus lol, it even says you can OC on the box. Anything i can do guys ? I cant really ship it back and wait for a new board, need a computer till the end of the semester is over.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

So first i had a H61 motherboard, so i was in the market for a new one since my 2500k was screaming to be OC'd, so i actually did some research and ended up getting Asus P8B75-V motherboard from newegg, people actually claimed that you can OC with this board and thats its a gem. Now this thing has a locked multiplier, cant trust the internet or Asus lol, it even says you can OC on the box. Anything i can do guys ? I cant really ship it back and wait for a new board, need a computer till the end of the semester is over.

telefanatic

Don't OC and just use it as normal? :-/

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
For future reference, there's a handy table here. P67, Z68, Z75 & Z77 all have unlocked multipliers for full overclocking.
spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts
Well if you can't get rid of it for a new one, overclock as far as you can with the BCLK frequency and be done with it.
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
Could you buy a Z75/Z77 board, then return the other one for credit?
telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

Could you buy a Z75/Z77 board, then return the other one for credit?N8A

Thats what im thinking of doing now. Thanks guys for all the advice. Is there any software that i could OC the CPU from desktop ?

This is such BS!! You know ASUS is so misleading, here i thought i was getting a nice deal! Why would they post all these pics too. Especially the CPU multiplier pic and description that you can change it ?All the overclocking options too ? WTF?

22.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

05.jpg

07_asus_p8b75-v.jpg

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
^^ don't take this the wrong way but Asus wouldn't say U can OC the board if U couldn't. Maybe ur doing something wrong? Like an option somewhere.
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
its all marketing. intel controls the ability to overclock in this situation. all b75 chipsets are locked like this. annoying but part of the game.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Uuum, I see the option to overclock your CPU right there in your screenshot.. BCLK Frequency....
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 superclocked
I'm disappointed that you can't overclock the BCLK past the stock speed of 100MHz in Intel's new chipsets. Hopefully Intel will unlock the multipliers between the system bus and former SB components that are now located on the same chip die...

Some tips for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge overclocking.. To eliminate Vdroop and fine tune the CPU's voltage, increase the "CPU Load Line Calibration" value in the bios until the voltage does not drop under full load. Increase the "CPU Current Capabillity" value past 100% to squeeze a little more speed out of your CPU. If your motherboard does not have heatsinks on the VRM's, add some for more stable CPU voltages. For about $5-$10 on eBay, you can get 8x 360 VRAM heatsinks. Order some (from USA so it won't take a month to get them) and place them on the two rows of flat black chips that are located next to the solid state capacitors surrounding the CPU on your motherboard. Assuming that you're using a PCI-E videocard, manually set your iGPU frequency as low as possible in order to decrease your CPU temperature. And be sure to switch your "Primary Display" setting to PCI-E. Lastly, you should disable these features in your bios when overclocking in order to improve performance: EPU Power Saving Mode Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology Turbo Mode Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor CPU C1E CPU C3 Report CPU C6 Report CPU Q-Fan control (processor will stay cooler when disabled) Spread Spectrum (all devices, if the option is available) I hope that this guide helps you out. Have fun when you get a new motherboard :)
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

You don't get far overclocking 1155 with BCLK, it's not advised to take it any further than 105.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 superclocked

You don't get far overclocking 1155 with BCLK, it's not advised to take it any further than 105.

C_Rule
Really? That doesn't make much sense. I could double the BCLK on 775 chipsets.. Is it a voltage limitation? Do they just run hot now that they do the job of both NB and SB? My best guess would be that it's because you can't unlink the speeds of the BCLK and former SB components of the B75.. Well TC, it looks like you'll have to sell that board on eBay and get a new one. Be sure to come back and check with us before you buy one this time though ;)