CPU Seems Waaaay to Hot on HP Envy dv6-7218

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JFlame44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 JFlame44
Member since 2012 • 43 Posts

I'm using the HP Envy dv6-7215 and its got an i7, but its at 100 C, which is not good. I don't know if mine is defective and the fans not working, but i KNOW that is far too hot. Can anyone help out here?

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Can you hear the fans? Or can you feel any air coming out of the vent?
JFlame44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JFlame44

i can feel air coming out of the vent, but not that much... I'll try reinstalling the fan driver. The computer hasn't overheated (yet atleast) but thats still way to high of a temperature.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Can you set a custom fan profile in the bios? Make them run at 100% if you can.. And get a laptop cooler asap...
5SI-GonePostal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 5SI-GonePostal
Member since 2004 • 391 Posts

i can feel air coming out of the vent, but not that much... I'll try reinstalling the fan driver. The computer hasn't overheated (yet atleast) but thats still way to high of a temperature.

JFlame44

Ok i used to have a dv5 and i bet they havent changed much and i imagine you have a build up of fluff and dirt in the cpu/gpu heatsink fan. What i suggest is you strip it down and do a clean out of the exhaust fan, while you are there if the PC is over 1 year old it wouldnt hurt to redo the paste on the cpu and gpu

HOWEVER, watch a few guides 1st as they are a bugger to strip down!

JFlame44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JFlame44

I wish it was that simple, but i got it for christmas so its not even a month old :/

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

I think you might need to install Gentoo and redownload your fan drivers

ClassicRockFTW
Stop posting rubbish. BSD > linux in any case. The DV6 machines have always been ones to run hot. as others have said, check your fans are working. You can use speedfan to do this.
5SI-GonePostal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 5SI-GonePostal
Member since 2004 • 391 Posts

I wish it was that simple, but i got it for christmas so its not even a month old :/

JFlame44

Erm ok, wow blew me out of the water :P, check online to see if other people have similar temps and if not take it back and change it. But my DV5 run really hot

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

Well laptop CPU's are designed to run at much higher temperatures than desktop CPU's however 100C is at the very limit of what is OK. Ideally you want to stay under 75-80C.

I'd say that either the fan/cooling system is defective or there is a design flaw and you're going to need a laptop cooler for when you use it for demanding tasks.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darksusperia

Well laptop CPU's are designed to run at much higher temperatures than desktop CPU's however 100C is at the very limit of what is OK. Ideally you want to stay under 75-80C.

I'd say that either the fan/cooling system is defective or there is a design flaw and you're going to need a laptop cooler for when you use it for demanding tasks.

Tezcatlipoca666
definately. I had to buy one for the missus DV6. (first gen i7 model). runs terribly hot as do others of the same model I have spoken to. The machines are designed poorly in that respect.
JFlame44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JFlame44

Ugh, this sucks. However, that really did help, my fans were running at a low speed. The Cpu is down to 72 C.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darksusperia

Ugh, this sucks. However, that really did help, my fans were running at a low speed. The Cpu is down to 72 C.

JFlame44
Thats about right for that chassis. I would have thought the AMD would be a bit cooler.