CPU Heat sink fan stopped spinning, any ideas?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by REforever101 (11200 posts) -

I've had my cpu heatsink for a few years and recently the fan on it has stopped spinning. While my computer's performance doesn't seem to have changed, I haven't tried playing any games in fear of messing up my cpu.

I've tried cleaning it, hoping the problem was dust or something. I could manually spin the fan with my finger, but it was a little resistant. Though I can't remember how resistant it was when knew, so idk if thats odd

anyone know if there is anything else I should try? Or am I just going to have to install a new heatsink?

#2 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -
Is it a stock heatsink? The fan died. Purchase a new fan/heatsink.
#3 Posted by REforever101 (11200 posts) -
Is it a stock heatsink? The fan died. Purchase a new fan/heatsink.Elann2008
not a stock, its a cooler master
#4 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Is it a stock heatsink? The fan died. Purchase a new fan/heatsink.REforever101
not a stock, its a cooler master

212+? Yeah, that fan gave out on me and I had it for less than a year. Makes even more sense now. I quickly replaced it with some corsair fans.
#5 Posted by XaosII (16612 posts) -

The fan likely died. Just purchase a new fan. You dont need a new heatsink.

#6 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2589 posts) -

The fan likely died. Just purchase a new fan. You dont need a new heatsink.

XaosII

But the heatsink could contain viruses...

#7 Posted by kraken2109 (13077 posts) -

Depending on the model of cooler, you should be able to get a new fan.

#8 Posted by REforever101 (11200 posts) -

kraken2109
i literally only just remembered that the fan was separate from the heatsink. I am not a clever man. Where does one just get the fan? I looked on newegg and could only find the heatsink + fan
#9 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

REforever101

i literally only just remembered that the fan was separate from the heatsink. I am not a clever man. Where does one just get the fan? I looked on newegg and could only find the heatsink + fan

You can purchase any 120mm fan like these Corsair fans. I have two of these for my heatsink. I am assuming you have a Cooler Master 212+. Could you please tell us which model heatsink you have?

#10 Posted by REforever101 (11200 posts) -

[QUOTE="REforever101"][QUOTE="kraken2109"]

Elann2008

You can purchase any 120mm fan like these Corsair fans. I have two of these for my heatsink. I am assuming you have a Cooler Master 212+. Could you please tell us which model heatsink you have?

don't remember offhand, i'll have to look for the box. I have it around here somewhere
#11 Posted by REforever101 (11200 posts) -

[QUOTE="REforever101"][QUOTE="kraken2109"]

Elann2008

ah my bad, i was mistaken about the heatsink. I have a ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

#12 Posted by clyde46 (46634 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="REforever101"] i literally only just remembered that the fan was separate from the heatsink. I am not a clever man. Where does one just get the fan? I looked on newegg and could only find the heatsink + fanREforever101

ah my bad, i was mistaken about the heatsink. I have a ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

You'll need a new cooler as the fan is part of the heatsink I think.
#13 Posted by jedikevin2 (5215 posts) -
The fan is not part of the heatsink but it is proprietary as it has odd plastic pieces that latch onto the heatsink. You will prob need to rebuy it from the manufacture itself. Link
#14 Posted by REforever101 (11200 posts) -
The fan is not part of the heatsink but it is proprietary as it has odd plastic pieces that latch onto the heatsink. You will prob need to rebuy it from the manufacture itself. Linkjedikevin2
thanks for that