Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kinghunter74
Member since 2006 • 266 Posts

Hi all,

I'm looking for a CPU cooler that can fit into my case without blocking my RAM or side panel.

My case is a Cooler Master Elite 310 and my motherboard is an ASUS P8P67 LE.

Right now I'm looking at a CM Hyper 103 against CM TX3 EVO. Will they fit? If yes, which is better?

Also, it seems that the TX3 Evo allows for another fan to be mounted, will any 92mm case fan work? Where do i get an extra fan bracket to put it in?

If anyone has a better suggestion, please comment =D

Price is less of a problem than fitting in. So, closed looped water cooler suggestion are welcome too.

Anyway, sorry for the large amount of questions.

Thanks in advance

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

As someone who has a TX3 Evo I can only say possitive things about it for the price... That being said only get it if you intend on getting two after market fans.

Stock TX3 + 4670k 4.2Ghz =

• 30-33c idle
  • 63-66c while gaming

TX3 with two gelid fans + 4670K 4.2Ghz =

• 28-30c idle
  • 58-60c while gaming

Did these test when I got the new fans. Also a lot quieter even though there's 2 of them over the stock.

Would highly recommend it for small case's and its all you will need if you don't plan on over clocking to extreme levels.

The TX3 comes with 2 fan brackets. Also it doesn't require you to remove the board since its using the same pin system as a stock intel fan. Just push down and it locks in. Also comes with paste.

Great cooler for the price but with two extra fans it destroys a stock 212... Superb if you don't have the space.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Your case can take up to 155mm heatsink.

Both Hyper TX3 EVO and Hyper 103 can fit cause they are 136mm and 138,5mm.

After reading a lot of reviews all over the web, the superiority of CM hyper 103 is pretty clear. Hyper 103 is by far a better cooler than TX3 EVO.

Due to your 155mm limitation, better coolers like NH-U12S and Hyper 212 EVO cannot fit.

But you would be surprised how good hyper 103 is. I was surprised for sure...

edit:

Most reviews didn't have a direct comparison between TX3 EVO and Hyper 103. They usually had something like this in the left...

But there is a site that did a direct comparison.

Technic3D.

With 4,4GHz oc:

Cooler Master Hyper 103 - 92mm 2200 U/min: idle (over room temp) 9.9C and load (over room temp) 42.4C

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO - 92mm 2200 U/min: idle (over room temp) 10.0C and load (over room temp) 49.1C

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@kinghunter74 said:

Hi all,

I'm looking for a CPU cooler that can fit into my case without blocking my RAM or side panel.

My case is a Cooler Master Elite 310 and my motherboard is an ASUS P8P67 LE.

Right now I'm looking at a CM Hyper 103 against CM TX3 EVO. Will they fit? If yes, which is better?

Also, it seems that the TX3 Evo allows for another fan to be mounted, will any 92mm case fan work? Where do i get an extra fan bracket to put it in?

If anyone has a better suggestion, please comment =D

Price is less of a problem than fitting in. So, closed looped water cooler suggestion are welcome too.

Anyway, sorry for the large amount of questions.

Thanks in advance

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rls12v24pkr1 30$

kinghunter74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kinghunter74

@Grey_Eyed_Elf Does the TX3 EVO block any RAM slot when fully installed with 2 fans? Or does your MOBO come with more space for cooler?

Is it loud?

@Coseniath Yeah, i search the web for comparison as well but couldn't find any direct comparison as well.

Thing is, most reviews i found use only 1 fan when the cooler support 2, would there be much difference if i use 2 fans instead of 1?

1 to blow into the heat sink while the other exhaust the the air from the heat sink towards the rear exhaust fan.

Finally, does room temperature affect the result much?

Thanks again

kinghunter74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kinghunter74

@PredatorRules Quick question, the 120v is aluminum rather than copper, I've read somewhere that aluminum become less conductive of heat? is any of it true?

Also, does the radiator and fan still serve as exhaust fan for my case as i only have 1 port for exhaust and would hate to trap all the hot air in the case just to cool my CPU

Sorry for the double post and thanks =P

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@kinghunter74 said:

@PredatorRules Quick question, the 120v is aluminum rather than copper, I've read somewhere that aluminum become less conductive of heat? is any of it true?

Also, does the radiator and fan still serve as exhaust fan for my case as i only have 1 port for exhaust and would hate to trap all the hot air in the case just to cool my CPU

Sorry for the double post and thanks =P

Yes aluminium is less conductive than copper, it's not much better than the EVO 212 but it will fit your case - that was my point the whole time.

The plate is made by copper while the whole radiator is made by aluminium (Corsair does it the same with H60 but it's costs 20$ more probably because of branding)

Yes you can place the rad anywhere you want to and use it as exhaust or intake.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@kinghunter74 said:
@Coseniath Yeah, i search the web for comparison as well but couldn't find any direct comparison as well.

Thing is, most reviews i found use only 1 fan when the cooler support 2, would there be much difference if i use 2 fans instead of 1?

1 to blow into the heat sink while the other exhaust the the air from the heat sink towards the rear exhaust fan.

Finally, does room temperature affect the result much?

Thanks again

There is a difference between 1 and 2 fans. Usually its 2-4C degrees. The difference I found from Technic3D, its difficult to be covered by a 2nd fan.

Keep in mind that is with the stock fans. If you use 2 x $20 Noctua NF-B9 PWM or other 2 good funs the result will change.

Ofc the room temerature affect the result. If your room temp in summer is 30C while in winter is 15C there is 15C difference...

kinghunter74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kinghunter74

so basically, if I want a plug and forget type of cooler, go for the Hyper 103

And only go for TX3 EVO if I plug in 2 after market fan.

Does RPM matter much for heat sink since the Noctua fan only sports 1600rpm.

Thanks

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@kinghunter74 said:

so basically, if I want a plug and forget type of cooler, go for the Hyper 103

And only go for TX3 EVO if I plug in 2 after market fan.

Does RPM matter much for heat sink since the Noctua fan only sports 1600rpm.

Thanks

Both coolers are good and cant go wrong.

There is no need to get a 2nd fan for TX3 unless you wanna push higher overclock ( There is only a 3-4C difference with 2 fans so not really necessary ). Even with 1 fan only the difference between it and the stock coolers of AMD/Intel is night and day ( i hit 58C on a core i5 4440 running stress test as opposed to 75-76C on the stock cooler.

Smaller fans like the 92mm fan of TX3 need to be running at higher RPM's compared to larger coolers with 120mm fans to produce similar results ( even so the TX3 is still fairly quiet even at relatively high RPM's )

kinghunter74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kinghunter74

OK, thanks for all the help.

I'm gonna get a Hyper 103 =P