could my PSU be the culprit

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts

So my new mobo arrived, gigabyte 970A ud3p, I installed it along with my MSI r9 280x GPU and AMD fx 8320 CPU. My PC won't turn on at all and I am guessing my 4 year old 500w atx PSU is not enough power for all of the newer parts??

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Nothing at all happens? Fans etc dont even do anything?

Double check all connections, make sure front panel is right, ckeck psu power switch, now if your got the 8320E ie the 95w cpu you may need to update the bios

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

It shouldn't be that it doesn't get enough power since is not always using 100% draw especially when you just turned on. Must be something loose. If it lacks power than it would turn off mid gaming, had that happen with crummy psu.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

Make sure the RAM is seated properly. Also check to make sure you don't have a bad stick of RAM.

Bad RAM or a blown PSU are the most likely culprits based on what you're describing.

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bigboss5ak

So I managed to get it powered on finally, now my PC keeps restarting at the windows logo, any advice

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

That may not be the specific problem here, but I would highly recommend a new psu either way. That being said, process of elimination.. First make sure your cpu cooler is properly seated and check bios temps.. Check if ram sticks are recognized in your motherboard bios.. Use the fail safe bios settings.. Try to boot up Windows in safe mode.

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigboss5ak

@sSubZerOo: my ram sticks are recognized. My CPU however is running a bit hot, in bios it shows its at 45c.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

That's not hot enough to cause the computer to restart. Are you doing a clean install of Windows or trying to use an install still on a drive from a previous PC? Always do a clean install. The driver differences going from an old PC to a new one can be huge. There's a good chance windows won't even boot if you are trying to use an old install.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

bigboss - what was your solution to get it to start? Without knowing how you "fixed" it, it seems plausible that your problem is still there but just taking longer to kick in (long enough to get to the windows logo).

I'm assuming this is Windows 7? I'm not sure I believe it's a driver issue - my Windows 7 has bounced back from some pretty major hardware changes (including MOBO swaps). Are the GPU and CPU new components as well or you just moved them to your new MOBO?

I think some more details about what has been changed and what you have tried could help clue us in. What brand PSU?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

the hanging on windows happened to me when I changed motherboard and didn't clean install windows, if you hadnt already done so reinstall windows wiping all your HD in process.

I also think your PSU is a little weak for what you have.

this is a guess power your system uses http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/PSUEngine2, it recommends 510w as minimum. So the PSU for that system should be 600W or higher from a decent brand.

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bigboss5ak

Just to update you guys my PC kept restarting because I needed to reinstall windows, once I reinstalled windows everything worked fine. Also my PSU was also part of the problem of why it wouldn't start, I replaced it with a brand new 600w PSUPSU and now it turns on with no issues. So far everything is going smoothly. My GPU and CPU still runs hot though. While playing DA:I on ultra settings my GPU hovered around 80 and my CPU around 65.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@bigboss5ak said:

Just to update you guys my PC kept restarting because I needed to reinstall windows, once I reinstalled windows everything worked fine. Also my PSU was also part of the problem of why it wouldn't start, I replaced it with a brand new 600w PSUPSU and now it turns on with no issues. So far everything is going smoothly. My GPU and CPU still runs hot though. While playing DA:I on ultra settings my GPU hovered around 80 and my CPU around 65.

Those are ok temps. A bit on the high site of thinks but far from worrying. In any case i would advice an aftermarket cooler for that 8320 since the default cooler is next to useless even for a tiny overclock.