Console to P.C ports that were actually good

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by methree15 (620 posts) -

I know that the word "port" is spoken like a curse around these parts, but I've never really understood why. I've played some console ports that were actually good. Resident Evil 4 on the p.c was awesome. The silent hills were great on p.c. So why the hate?

If you have a console port for p.c that you really enjoyed, don't be afraid to say so in this thread. In fact, list them if possible. Lets destory the idea that console to p.c ports are always horrible.

#2 Posted by boybrushdred (1892 posts) -
Gears of War is way better on the PC than on the x360.
#3 Posted by JP_Russell (12893 posts) -
Well, none that I've played are especially good. But I actually thought Enter the Matrix wasn't too bad. Most people hate it, and I certainly don't think it's amazing, but it was enjoyable enough to me for the one playthrough.
#4 Posted by Carashnak (119 posts) -
Fable: The lost chapters was a good port, in my opinion, and apparently Assasain's Creed is pretty good...
#5 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
I don't remember all the games ported from consoles that i played but i do remember one very well :). Fable The Lost Chapters, it was/is one of my favorite games and it will be one of the best rpg games i played. It is linear, has glitches, but it has an incredible atmosphere, story line, character evolution, it gives you different alternatives to the story line, has great graphics and many weapons and also hidden mystical weapons and different other minor secrets that make it a vrey interesting game :). Can't wait for Fable 2 on PC :D.
#6 Posted by miladesn2 (933 posts) -

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was way better than original XBOX version, on pc you can choose to make enemy soldiers speak their native language and addition of HDR+SM3.0 and hires texture made the game look like current-gen games back in 2005.

After that ubi went downhill :(.

#7 Posted by RK-Mara (11488 posts) -
Resident Evil 4 was a horrible port. The retail version was horrible and it looked uglier than the PS2 version. Thankfully a patch fixed that. But you still can't use mouse to aim and if you don't own a joypad, you have to use arrow keys.
#8 Posted by liquidzero123 (7111 posts) -

Halo!!11!1! (the last part was a joke)

The PC port was locked at 30fps just like the Xbox original, so no complaints there. I think the graphics were a little better on the PC port, and we also got online play with up to 16 players to make up for no co-op.

Overall I thought Halo PC was a good port.

#9 Posted by methree15 (620 posts) -

Resident Evil 4 was a horrible port. The retail version was horrible and it looked uglier than the PS2 version. Thankfully a patch fixed that. But you still can't use mouse to aim and if you don't own a joypad, you have to use arrow keys.RK-Mara

The lack of mouse control=definate weakness. However, if you had an xbox 360 controller for windows...

Visuals were ok. Personally I was not bothered by them.

#10 Posted by miladesn2 (933 posts) -

[QUOTE="RK-Mara"]Resident Evil 4 was a horrible port. The retail version was horrible and it looked uglier than the PS2 version. Thankfully a patch fixed that. But you still can't use mouse to aim and if you don't own a joypad, you have to use arrow keys.methree15

The lack of mouse control=definate weakness. However, if you had an xbox 360 controller for windows...

Visuals were ok. Personally I was not bothered by them.

I was bothered with lack of dolby sound and force feedback! :(

#11 Posted by fireandcloud (5118 posts) -
weren't kotor 1 & 2 both consoles first? not sure if they're considered ports, though...
#12 Posted by Franko_3 (5728 posts) -
gta 3+ are some nice port, easely modable.
#13 Posted by lenson (2515 posts) -
Fable lost chatpers I have to agree was a good port. So was blood omen 2.
#14 Posted by 190586385885857957282413308806 (13084 posts) -

Was Chronicles of Riddick?

Condemned is another one

I think the first KOTOR came out on console first and then a few months later came out for PC with some added content. The second i believe came out the same day for both systems

#15 Posted by methree15 (620 posts) -
Condemned was awesome for the computer.
#16 Posted by fireandcloud (5118 posts) -
i'm looking forward to mass effect. and i agree with franko_3: gta games were good ports (i'm not a huge fan of the series though).
#17 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31985 posts) -

Condemned is another one

I think the first KOTOR came out on console first and then a few months later came out for PC with some added content. The second i believe came out the same day for both systems

smerlus

ah yes, Chrnicles of Riddick, perhaps the greatest ever.

#18 Posted by lenson (2515 posts) -
Hope the remake makes it on to pc.
#19 Posted by Valkyrie_44 (898 posts) -

Jade Empire, GTA:SA, GTA:VC and Condemned: Criminal Origins were pretty darn good ports. They ran excellent out of the box, and required very little in the way of patching or tweaking.

Halo 1 & 2, and Gear of War, have that irksome quality, they run well just not well enough at the initial point of release, and that bothered me to no end. The framerate cap that was on Halo 1 just didn't sit right with me, and Gear of Wars had alot of issues running on one of my systems, but either way I still had alot of fun with it.

Star Trek: Legacy, Rayman Raving Rabbids, and Splinter Cell: Double Agent, those are horrible ports, out of the box they either don't work correctly, their control sceme is FUBAR'd, or you can tell the developers to no pride in getting the job done right the first time.

RE4 for PC was aliright, I had a good kick out of it, and it did play nicely with my X360 controller. I did hope for better functionality with the Keyboard and mouse, which if applied properly would've been a very nice touch.

I haven't played AC on PC yet I still have to pick up my preorder, so we will see how that is compared to the X360 version.

#20 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -

Escape from Butcher Bay is probably the best console to PC port - not only does it play and look like a PC game, it has additional content.

GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas were also excellent ports - while the visuals were only slightly improved, the control schemes were revamped in such a way that they not only worked great on PC, but they worked much better than they did on the consoles.

Some people have mentioned both Chaos Theory and Assassin's Creed as examples of ports, but Chaos Theory had a simultaneous release (making it very much a multiplatform title) and Assassin's Creed is also a multiplat, not a port. That the PC version came a little later just means the PC version was delayed.

#21 Posted by smokeydabear076 (22105 posts) -
Gears of War, there are quite a few good ones out there.
#22 Posted by Einhanderkiller (13250 posts) -
The only ones that come to mind are the Grand Theft Auto games, but even those had some problems... but then again, the console versions had its fair share of problems as well.
#23 Posted by 190586385885857957282413308806 (13084 posts) -

I enjoyed Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth. It made me motion sick, but I'm a sucker for HP Lovecraft mythos.cametall

Actually the reason the PC version was so late was the company went out of business while optimizing the game for the PC. I heard a story that only a few programmers stayed and woked on finishing the title without pay.

#24 Posted by blackdreamhunk (3880 posts) -

Condemned is another one

smerlus
no nights of the old rupblic was first made for pc then went to concole. i should know because i am like big fan of that game.
#25 Posted by greatmax1 (1868 posts) -
Riddick is like the best console-to-pc port i know.
#26 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -
[QUOTE="smerlus"]

Condemned is another one

blackdreamhunk

no nights of the old rupblic was first made for pc then went to concole. i should know because i am like big fan of that game.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KotOR) is a role-playing video game developed by BioWare and published by LucasArts. It was released for Microsoft's Xbox on July 15, 2003, for PCs running Microsoft Windows on November 19, 2003, and later for Mac OS X.

#27 Posted by fireandcloud (5118 posts) -
[QUOTE="smerlus"]

Condemned is another one

blackdreamhunk

maybe you're a console player at heart, cuz according to gamespot both were released on the consoles before the pc.

http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?type=11&stype=all&qs=knights+of+the+republic&x=0&y=0

#28 Posted by blackdreamhunk (3880 posts) -
[QUOTE="blackdreamhunk"][QUOTE="smerlus"]

Condemned is another one

mfsa

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KotOR) is a role-playing video game developed by BioWare and published by LucasArts. It was released for Microsoft's Xbox on July 15, 2003, for PCs running Microsoft Windows on November 19, 2003, and later for Mac OS X.

dates doesn`t mean a doesn`t mean a thing orginaly they were making it first for pc. By the way it was better paly on pc with the ods
#29 Posted by blackdreamhunk (3880 posts) -
[QUOTE="blackdreamhunk"][QUOTE="smerlus"]

Condemned is another one

mfsa

dates doesn`t mean a doesn`t mean a thing orginaly they were making it first for pc. By the way it was better paly on pc with the mods. I should know because i was tracking it.
#30 Posted by bawathegamer (1498 posts) -
mgs1 was nice.not bugs or anything.plus extra stuff and vr missions were in it too.great cuz i could never find a copy of mgs1(until the essential collection came out)
#31 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -
[QUOTE="mfsa"][QUOTE="blackdreamhunk"][QUOTE="smerlus"]

Condemned is another one

blackdreamhunk

dates doesn`t mean a doesn`t mean a thing orginaly they were making it first for pc. By the way it was better paly on pc with the mods. I should know because i was tracking it.

But you can't call it a PC game, either. THe least you can say is it's a multiformat game - unless you define a PC to console port as the games being developed concurrently and the console version being released first.

#32 Posted by bawathegamer (1498 posts) -

riddick.i still get shivers at that part where you have to retrieve a key or somthing and you have to kill those "dwellers".dam that part was messed up.i still get shivers regarding that part.great game.surprised noone made somthing similar.i loved the mini-rpg like conversations and decision making with the fellow prisoners.sweet game.

btw i dunno who the developer is........have they made anything since??.......

#33 Posted by biggest_loser (24007 posts) -

Best: Chronicles of Riddick.

Worst: San Andreas. condemned.

#34 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -

riddick.i still get shivers at that part where you have to retrieve a key or somthing and you have to kill those "dwellers".dam that part was messed up.i still get shivers regarding that part.great game.surprised noone made somthing similar.i loved the mini-rpg like conversations and decision making with the fellow prisoners.sweet game.

bawathegamer

Starbreeze - they made The Darkness, which unfortunately hasn't seen a PC release and, amongst other games they may be working on, they're working on a next-gen remake of Escape from Butcher Bay with a 40% longer single player campaign called Assault on Dark Athena. No mention of a PC version yet, though.

It'll be a great injustice if it doesn't get a PC release, easily one of the best games ever made.

#35 Posted by smokeydabear076 (22105 posts) -
[QUOTE="bawathegamer"]

mfsa

Starbreeze - they made The Darkness, which unfortunately hasn't seen a PC release and, amongst other games they may be working on, they're working on a next-gen remake of Escape from Butcher Bay with a 40% longer single player campaign called Assault on Dark Athena. No mention of a PC version yet, though.

It'll be a great injustice if it doesn't get a PC release, easily one of the best games ever made.

Personally I found The Darkness to be very disappointing after what they did with Riddick I expected more.
#36 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -
[QUOTE="mfsa"][QUOTE="bawathegamer"]

bawathegamer

anything before riddick?

Only smarties have the answer.

Wait, do they make smarties in America? They're pretty tasty.

#37 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (3591 posts) -
Only smarties have the answer.

Wait, do they make smarties in America? They're pretty tasty.

mfsa

Yes. Yes they do.

#38 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -

Escape from Butcher Bay is probably the best console to PC port - not only does it play and look like a PC game, it has additional content.

GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas were also excellent ports - while the visuals were only slightly improved, the control schemes were revamped in such a way that they not only worked great on PC, but they worked much better than they did on the consoles.

Some people have mentioned both Chaos Theory and Assassin's Creed as examples of ports, but Chaos Theory had a simultaneous release (making it very much a multiplatform title) and Assassin's Creed is also a multiplat, not a port. That the PC version came a little later just means the PC version was delayed.

mfsa

Don't know about you, but I ususally think that flying a helicopter with two analog sticks is way easier than using 6 keyboard-buttons to do the same. I almost broke my fingers. The controls made some of the flying missions freaking hard (Mini-plane with bombs in VC, for example). When I played the game on the Xbox, piece of cake. Disagree on the visualts too. I installed GTA 3 back when I had a 7800 GTX, the improved resolution and draw-distance as well as better lightning (imo) gave the game a new feeling. It felt more like a real city.

#39 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -
[QUOTE="mfsa"]

artur79

Don't know about you, but I ususally think that flying a helicopter with two analog sticks is way easier than using 6 keyboard-buttons to do the same. I almost broke my fingers. The controls made some of the flying missions freaking hard (Mini-plane with bombs in VC, for example). When I played the game on the Xbox, piece of cake. Disagree on the visualts too. I installed GTA 3 back when I had a 7800 GTX, the improved resolution and draw-distance as well as better lightning (imo) gave the game a new feeling. It felt more like a real city.

While the air controls are a legitimate point to raise, you'll spend maybe 5% or probably less of your total gaming time actually piloting aircraft.

But that said, I always found the helicopter piloting simple. It was the aeroplanes I struggled with, and I admittedly used a PS2 pad to get through the San Andreas plane missions. But the in-car controls are much better with a keyboard and mouse, especially in SA. The 360 degrees camera makes high speed driving easier, which makes the game more fun.

The FPS fluidity of the aiming also makes the gunplay much more fun - for me, anyway. I'm actually not all that bad a shot with analogue sticks, but I still found myself just going ah screw it and using autoaim at times, but at any rate I really enjoyed the gunplay when using a keyboard and mouse, but when using a pad, I felt I was merely tolerating it.

As for the visuals, the only GTA out of the GTA3 trilogy that I've played on a console is SA - and the visual difference was noticable, but not significant. I dunno about GTA3 or VC but if the visual difference is more noticable, I suppose it is just because the developers weren't as familiar with the hardware they were working with at the time.

#40 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -
[QUOTE="mfsa"]

artur79

While the air controls are a legitimate point to raise, you'll spend maybe 5% or probably less of your total gaming time actually piloting aircraft, so it's not exactly like it'll make or break your experiencew with the game.

But that said, I always found the helicopter piloting simple. It was the aeroplanes I struggled with, and I admittedly used a PS2 pad to get through the San Andreas plane missions. But the in-car controls are much better with a keyboard and mouse, especially in SA. The 360 degrees camera makes high speed driving easier, which makes the game more fun.

The FPS fluidity of the aiming also makes the gunplay much more fun - for me, anyway. I'm actually not all that bad a shot with analogue sticks, but I still found myself just going ah screw it and using autoaim at times, but at any rate I really enjoyed the gunplay when using a keyboard and mouse, but when using a pad, I felt I was merely tolerating it.

As for the visuals, the only GTA out of the GTA3 trilogy that I've played on a console is SA - and the visual difference was noticable, but not significant. I dunno about GTA3 or VC but if the visual difference is more noticable, I suppose it is just because the developers weren't as familiar with the hardware they were working with at the time.

#41 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -

so it's not exactly like it'll make or break your experiencew with the game

Actually, my first VC-playthrough (well, not through as you'll see in a moment) was on a friend's PC. When I got to the mini-plane mission, I stopped playing and decided to wait for the Xbox-version. So you can say that those abysmal controls broke the PC-ver for me.

I also think that driving is better with analog sticks than with 4 buttons. Buttons in general are bad for movement (except WASD in FPS-games). I know some people prefer them, but a gamepad to car-driving is like a mouse to aiming imo. Not a must, but a whole lot better. GTA = driving (it's in the name, lol).

I agree that the shooting is better on the PC.

All in all, I'd say there are some strengths and weaknesses with both control-schemes, console-version suits me best. I'm willing to sacrifice some shooting-accuracy to enhance my vehicle steering in the game, while you're the other way around (I'm boldly assuming that you think racing/ flying/ eh.. boating is best with analog sticks).

#42 Posted by 190586385885857957282413308806 (13084 posts) -

so it's not exactly like it'll make or break your experiencew with the game

Actually, my first VC-playthrough (well, not through as you'll see in a moment) was on a friend's PC. When I got to the mini-plane mission, I stopped playing and decided to wait for the Xbox-version. So you can say that those abysmal controls broke the PC-ver for me.

I also think that driving is better with analog sticks than with 4 buttons. Buttons in general are bad for movement (except WASD in FPS-games). I know some people prefer them, but a gamepad to car-driving is like a mouse to aiming imo. Not a must, but a whole lot better. GTA = driving (it's in the name, lol).

I agree that the shooting is better on the PC.

All in all, I'd say there are some strengths and weaknesses with both control-schemes, console-version suits me best. I'm willing to sacrifice some shooting-accuracy to enhance my vehicle steering in the game, while you're the other way around (I'm boldly assuming that you think racing/ flying/ eh.. boating is best with analog sticks).

artur79

You sound like me with my KOTOR experience. I bought the original KOTOR on xbox and then bought the PC version for the few extra goodies but hated how the game controlled with K&M, so when KOTOR 2 came out, I just got it for the Xbox.

I've always liked the idea of mods for the GTA games but I can't stand controlling any 3rd person games with a K&M.

#43 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -
Yeah, I agree on Kotor. The control-scheme on the PC just does not feel right. Luckily, it seems that Bioware have learned their lesson, because Mass Effect seems to have a much better interface and inventory-handling that the 360 version. Kudos to them for delaying the game so that the it does not feel like a shoddy port. More devs-teams should do that.
#44 Posted by biggest_loser (24007 posts) -

artur79

The control scheme for those flying missions in San Andreas were just downright embarrassing. I just had to ask myself whether they actually play tested them at all, so damn poor. The cement truck and the semi-trailer were not much better *Shudder* I don't know how Vice City fairs...

#45 Posted by biggest_loser (24007 posts) -

I'd say that GTA III, VC, and SA were great PC ports as well. (I'm not including the first two titles since I think those were originally PC games to begin with.) As for everyone's control woes with said games, this is why I use programs like VCAMC and SAAC. I can drive with KB+M fine, but flying things is obviously sheer hell. This is where I use one of those apps to let me use my flight stick, throttle, and rudder pedals in order to control those planes and helicopters the way they were meant to. (I could also use the apps to play with my Xbox 360 gamepad, but I like on-foot controls with KB+M much better.)NamelessPlayer

Sure you have those applications but the point is that if they were ported properly in the first place and some actual care was taken with the controls then you wouldn't have to go out and find an application to get it into a half decent state.

#46 Posted by dunamistheou (4744 posts) -

Lost Planet in DirectX 10!

:D

#47 Posted by _Kazi_ (153 posts) -

Fable: The lost chapters was a good port, in my opinion, and apparently Assasain's Creed is pretty good...Carashnak

Agreed.

#48 Posted by biggest_loser (24007 posts) -
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="artur79"]

bawathegamer

The control scheme for those flying missions in San Andreas were just downright embarrassing. I just had to ask myself whether they actually play tested them at all, so damn poor. The cement truck and the semi-trailer were not much better *Shudder* I don't know how Vice City fairs...

you didnt try it with a controller?

No because I don't have a controller.

Why should I? I'm playing it on PC and therefore it should be configured properly to the default settings of a Keyboard and Mouse.

#49 Posted by RK-Mara (11488 posts) -
[QUOTE="mfsa"]

artur79

I still prefer to play GTAs with a joypad. Driving and such are a lot more fun that way and when I don't have the possibility to auto-aim with a gun, I change to mouse.

#50 Posted by Darth_Kane (2966 posts) -

Gears of War

Star Wars: Knights of the old republic

Jade Empire

Fable: The lost chapters

GTA III

GTA VC

GTA SA

Condemned: Criminal Origins