Computer Won't Turn on After Abrupt Power Cut

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6753 posts) -

Ok last night I mistakently tripped over the surge protector that my computer was plugged into. I didn't pay it much mind went straight to bed.

However today now, I'm trying to turn it on but no luck. I can hear noise indicating that the fans and hard drive are spinning but nothing comes up on screen. Also, there was this blue LED light that shines when it's on but I'm not seeing that anymore. I can't even turn it off my holding down on the power button; I have to actually unplug the pwoer cord.

Any ideas on what might be the problem? Help please.

#2 Posted by soolkiki (1744 posts) -

I don't really know, but do you think it's possible you fried your mobo?

#3 Posted by bigfoot2045 (773 posts) -

These kinds of things are usually a blown power supply or bad ram. 

#4 Posted by soolkiki (1744 posts) -

bigfoot2045

That was my first thought, but if power is still going to the fans and hdd...

#5 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6753 posts) -

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

soolkiki

That was my first thought, but if power is still going to the fans and hdd...

Well it could still be a damaged PSU seeing as how the LED lights are not coming on.
#6 Posted by BenwaQ (129 posts) -

You may have 12v going to the hdd and fans, but you might not have 3.3v and 5v going where they should. Try with another ps. You will be glad you did.

#7 Posted by lunar1122 (664 posts) -

can you get to the bios? are you using an SSD?

#8 Posted by DoomZaW (6470 posts) -

The power cut could have caused a voltage spike which in turn could have damaged either your PSU or motherboard.

#9 Posted by Chris_53 (5105 posts) -
See if you can get hold of a power supply tester, that may help determine whether your power supply is defect or not. Also, have you tried resetting the BIOS, by removing and reseating the CMOS battery?
#10 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6753 posts) -
See if you can get hold of a power supply tester, that may help determine whether your power supply is defect or not. Also, have you tried resetting the BIOS, by removing and reseating the CMOS battery? Chris_53
Yea I've tried reseating, didn't work. I think the PSU's the problem, and I'm going to have a technician take a look at it.
#11 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chris_53"]See if you can get hold of a power supply tester, that may help determine whether your power supply is defect or not. Also, have you tried resetting the BIOS, by removing and reseating the CMOS battery? Shottayouth13-
Yea I've tried reseating, didn't work. I think the PSU's the problem, and I'm going to have a technician take a look at it.

If you want to save some money, you can get a multimeter from your local hardware or car parts store for about $10 and check the PSU voltages yourself. Just set the dial to DCV, or DC Voltage... image_12568.jpg
#12 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6753 posts) -
[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"][QUOTE="Chris_53"]See if you can get hold of a power supply tester, that may help determine whether your power supply is defect or not. Also, have you tried resetting the BIOS, by removing and reseating the CMOS battery? superclocked

If you want to save some money, you can get a multimeter from your local hardware or car parts store for about $10 and check the PSU voltages yourself. Just set the dial to DCV, or DC Voltage...

Thanks, I'll check it out.