ArchDemon123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ArchDemon123
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

I recently got my hands in the gtx 970, a thing of absolute beauty, but after installing the drivers, it's been a disaster, everything is slow, hell, I can't even start steam downloads anymore, the speed just keeps on zaping from 0 to 10 mb every second which is unbereable. To start the browser it likes 10 or 15 seconds, it's driving me completely mad, and reinstalling the drivers didn't help, at all

-My cpu is still a 2500k i5, i've installed an H75 just recently in it but I don't think that that is the problem, since without installing the gpu, the computer runs fast and efortless

-Could it be the mobo?

-Here's the funny thing as well, the gpu is still, in gaming, a complete beast and it's been handling everything, everyday browsing through the internet and the computer is, however, impossible and a pain in the ass.

-My psu is a corsair 700w

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@ArchDemon123 said:

I recently got my hands in the gtx 970, a thing of absolute beauty, but after installing the drivers, it's been a disaster, everything is slow, hell, I can't even start steam downloads anymore, the speed just keeps on zaping from 0 to 10 mb every second which is unbereable. To start the browser it likes 10 or 15 seconds, it's driving me completely mad, and reinstalling the drivers didn't help, at all

-My cpu is still a 2500k i5, i've installed an H75 just recently in it but I don't think that that is the problem, since without installing the gpu, the computer runs fast and efortless

-Could it be the mobo?

-Here's the funny thing as well, the gpu is still, in gaming, a complete beast and it's been handling everything, everyday browsing through the internet and the computer is, however, impossible and a pain in the ass.

Either that MOBO PCIex16 slot is damaged somehow or the GPU is damaged.

Reinstalling drivers or maybe beta drivers could solve the problem.

Installing GPU shouldn't affect on surfing the net or browsing the computer, if anything it should be HDD and RAM related thing.

If nothing will work I would go extreme and install a fresh new OS, before you do that make sure your MOBO is updated BIOS, drivers and OS is updated as well.

thefreakofk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 thefreakofk
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

is your Ram above 8 GB? your g card requires atleast 8 gb of system memory to work properly. Try re installing the drivers and windows and try removing the graphics card from the motherboard and insert it again and see if you find any of those problems!

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@thefreakofk:

Why would you need 8GB RAM for the GPU to work?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@ArchDemon123 said:

-Could it be the mobo?

How much ram do you have and how much ram does your gpu have?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Do you have high CPU, ram or disk usage?

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Update your BIOS, change the setting to initialize PCI Express first.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

do you by any chance use a 32bit version of windows ?

Also i doubt is gpu related since you said you are running games great. Delete drivers and use driver sweeper to remove any remains and install the newer nvidia drivers. Update drivers for the rest of your system such as chipset,network, sound card drivers. Update bios. If nothing works maybe try reinstalling windows.

If everything fails try to isolate the problem. Remove any unnecessary hardware. If you have 2 dimms of Ram try only 1 and then try the other one also disconnect Dvd drives or any extra hard disks or if you have a dedicated sound card or network card remove them

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

To me it sounds more like HDD related or maybe even RAM related than GPU related. Simply uninstall your GPU and see if the problem persists.

ArchDemon123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 ArchDemon123
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

Yes I do adamosmaki, and yeah, I do have 8 gb on the ram side but i'll have to upgrade OS

I Think everything comes to being HDD related, I've been getting disk problems, when I'm doing steam downloads for example I get the "disk is busy popup" and some websites don't even open up because "not enough disk space", i'll upgrade.

GPU, I've unninstalled and reinstalled the drivers but still, it's the same crap. Without the gpu on tho, the pc runs fine, could it be that the HDD simply is too old for such an upgraded system?

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

It's probably 32bit Windows causing your problem. The GPU alone will fill the memory limit of your OS. If you take the GPU out and it solves the issue that's probably what's happening.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@ArchDemon123 said:

Yes I do adamosmaki, and yeah, I do have 8 gb on the ram side but i'll have to upgrade OS

I Think everything comes to being HDD related, I've been getting disk problems, when I'm doing steam downloads for example I get the "disk is busy popup" and some websites don't even open up because "not enough disk space", i'll upgrade.

GPU, I've unninstalled and reinstalled the drivers but still, it's the same crap. Without the gpu on tho, the pc runs fine, could it be that the HDD simply is too old for such an upgraded system?

not enough disk space is not enough virtual memory as well

Do a disk check in disk management and if it's still ok clear room. You need at least 20 free gb with 8 gb of ram.

If it shows bad sectors or very slow read/write speed and/or you want more space. Buy a new disk