Computer running hot and powering off

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Majistrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Majistrate
Member since 2011 • 331 Posts

So I've had my PC for a good year and a half now, and recently, it's started to run incredibly hot with certain games, to the point the computer shuts itself down. The only games it has issues with is Bioshock Infinite, where my PC will shut down withing 10-15 mins, and FarCry 3, where my PC will shut down after an hour or so. It's started to run hotter in general, but in these games the mobo touches the mid 90's, as does the CPU. The GPU stays at roughly 85 in both of these games. On a whole, other games such as CoH run cooler but still hotter than they used to, with temps reach the 70's & 80's for the CPU/Mobo.

Generally been maxing all the games aswell, as I don't play in 1080p (got a crap monitor), I play at 1280x1024 (don't know what that is in P terms haha)

Specs are as follows: 

Mobo: ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2
CPU: AMD FX 4100 
GPU: Saphire AMD Radeon HD 6870 
RAM: 8GB G Skill Ripjaws
HDD: 500GB Seagate

None of the parts are overclocked either, literally all running at stock levels.

If you need more detailed info let me know, and thank you in advance for any help :) 

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
Dust? Have you cleaned it for dust during the time you've had it?
Majistrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Majistrate

I haven't cleaned it but it's not particularly dusty inside tbh. There's a bit of dust, but not huge amounts, not the sort of amounts that would cause a 10-20 degree rise. I'll give it a clean anyway just to be sure, what's the best way? Individually wiping componants or bustin' a hoover?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Did you check to see if the CPU cooler fan is dead?
Majistrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Majistrate

CPU Cooler fan is still working, all fans are still working. I read somewhere that it could be that I need to reapply thermal paste?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

CPU Cooler fan is still working, all fans are still working. I read somewhere that it could be that I need to reapply thermal paste?

Majistrate
When you first installed the stock cooler (assuming you have a stock cooler since you don't overclock), did you use the thermal paste that came with it? Or did you use something like arctic silver 5? Here are tests done using different thermal paste compounds
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

What kind of case is it? And what is the ambient temp that surrounds your computer? Those are biggies when it comes to temps.

Majistrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Majistrate

[QUOTE="Majistrate"]

Elann2008

When you first installed the stock cooler (assuming you have a stock cooler since you don't overclock), did you use the thermal paste that came with it? Or did you use something like arctic silver 5? Here are tests done using different thermal paste compounds

I used the paste that came with the CPU 

Majistrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Majistrate

What kind of case is it? And what is the ambient temp that surrounds your computer? Those are biggies when it comes to temps.

soolkiki

The room is quite cold, as the weathers poor around here at the moment and we don't turn the heating on until the evening, the case is quite a standard case, just a big black box really, got room for two case fans at the back, theres a big plastic cone type thing around the CPU heatsink (or just above it) with holes on the side of the case where it's connected. Also a large rectangular bit on the same side as that that's just loads of little holes. I can't really feel much heat coming out the back/sides of the case so maybe I just need a case fan to disperse hear out of the case properly? 

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
Well start off by cleaning the dust ( i use a compressor but if you dont have a compressor use compressed air canisters just be a bit carefull ). Dust can make quite a bit difference ( even with no huge amounts of dust my temps lowered 3-4C after cleaning ) Then reapply thermal paste on your cpu and reseat the cooler I will also consider a decent $20-30 aftermarket cooler since they make a huge difference over stock coolers especially when cpu load is high Also be sure to check if your case fans operate normal ( a broken underperforming rear case fan can make a lot of difference in temps ) Make sure the direction of your case fans are correct ( depends on the case but a general rule front fans pull air in and rear fans out as for side fans just experiment since those can really depend on case layout and fan placement )
ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2291 Posts
This may be, and likely is, wayyy off, but if fans are fine, dust is gone...then what could be next? PSU sending too much to the extremities? Mobo not correctly handling voltages? Is this even possible?
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

Majistrate

The room is quite cold, as the weathers poor around here at the moment and we don't turn the heating on until the evening, the case is quite a standard case, just a big black box really, got room for two case fans at the back, theres a big plastic cone type thing around the CPU heatsink (or just above it) with holes on the side of the case where it's connected. Also a large rectangular bit on the same side as that that's just loads of little holes. I can't really feel much heat coming out the back/sides of the case so maybe I just need a case fan to disperse hear out of the case properly? 

Yeah, if it's just neutral airflow, then after time your computer isn't going to like it as much. As you said before about the thermal paste, that could be a part of it, however, if you don't have good airflow, then your problems aren't going to go away until you get some fans. That cone you're talking about sounds like a fan funnel to direct air onto the cpu. The way that I have my fans set up are (and this varies with cases) intake on the front, side, and back, and then the exhaust out of the top. If you don't have top fan mounts, go with intake on the front and side and then the exhaust through the back. Like I said, I'm not sure what fans you DO have and how they are set up, but those are two ideal setups.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
I would clean it first for dust before doing anything else... Compressed air works pretty good. If your temps are still high then check if everything is working as it should.
Majistrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Majistrate

Cheers for all the replies guys, ordered a can of compressed air to clean it, and a couple of fans to stick on the back to improve the airflow. If the problem persists, I will reapply thermal paste. If it persists after that, my fist will go through my computer.

Thanks again :) 

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 adamosmaki

Cheers for all the replies guys, ordered a can of compressed air to clean it, and a couple of fans to stick on the back to improve the airflow. If the problem persists, I will reapply thermal paste. If it persists after that, my fist will go through my computer.

Majistrate
Do you have an aftermarket cooler or is the AMD default cooler. Imo changing to an aftermarket cooler can make a huge difference on temps. Also at what speeds your cpu cooler fan is running. You might wanna increase that within the bios since
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

So I've had my PC for a good year and a half now, and recently, it's started to run incredibly hot with certain games, to the point the computer shuts itself down. The only games it has issues with is Bioshock Infinite, where my PC will shut down withing 10-15 mins, and FarCry 3, where my PC will shut down after an hour or so. It's started to run hotter in general, but in these games the mobo touches the mid 90's, as does the CPU. The GPU stays at roughly 85 in both of these games. On a whole, other games such as CoH run cooler but still hotter than they used to, with temps reach the 70's & 80's for the CPU/Mobo.

Generally been maxing all the games aswell, as I don't play in 1080p (got a crap monitor), I play at 1280x1024 (don't know what that is in P terms haha)

Specs are as follows:

None of the parts are overclocked either, literally all running at stock levels.

If you need more detailed info let me know, and thank you in advance for any help :)

Majistrate

1080p is a TV standard, not a resolution. There is no TV standard that corresponds to the resolution 1280x1024.

Your computer shuts off because your CPU is getting too hot, I guess. Some cases have air filters where the air comes in. Clean them. Get all the dust off your CPU cooler. I use a new painbrush (gently) and a vacuum cleaner hose. If it's still too hot, take the cooler off, clean the grease off both the CPU and the heatsink with a dry paper towel and some Q-tips, and apply fresh grease before remounting the cooler. All heatsink compunds work OK. Unless you're doing something like a massive overclock, the brand won't matter. Don't apply so much it smooshes out into the pins of the CPU, because some of them have aluminum in them.

Majistrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Majistrate

[QUOTE="Majistrate"]

adamosmaki

Do you have an aftermarket cooler or is the AMD default cooler. Imo changing to an aftermarket cooler can make a huge difference on temps. Also at what speeds your cpu cooler fan is running. You might wanna increase that within the bios since

Stock cooler, I'm a bit short of money at the moment (18 years old and still at school), but I plan on upgrading as soon as, hopefully a good aftermarket cooler so I can OC, as the FX4100 OC's quite well I've heard 

Majistrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Majistrate

[QUOTE="Majistrate"]

Specs are as follows:

Blistrax

1080p is a TV standard, not a resolution. There is no TV standard that corresponds to the resolution 1280x1024.

Your computer shuts off because your CPU is getting too hot, I guess. Some cases have air filters where the air comes in. Clean them. Get all the dust off your CPU cooler. I use a new painbrush (gently) and a vacuum cleaner hose. If it's still too hot, take the cooler off, clean the grease off both the CPU and the heatsink with a dry paper towel and some Q-tips, and apply fresh grease before remounting the cooler. All heatsink compunds work OK. Unless you're doing something like a massive overclock, the brand won't matter. Don't apply so much it smooshes out into the pins of the CPU, because some of them have aluminum in them.

Will do man, cheers :) 

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 adamosmaki

[QUOTE="adamosmaki"][QUOTE="Majistrate"]

Majistrate

Stock cooler, I'm a bit short of money at the moment (18 years old and still at school), but I plan on upgrading as soon as, hopefully a good aftermarket cooler so I can OC, as the FX4100 OC's quite well I've heard 

Coolermaster TX3 for 15 pounds its quite cheap if you are short on money and will allow a decent amount of overclock ( though the hyper 212 would be better for that regard if you dont mind paying 10 pounds more )
Majistrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Majistrate

Ah sweet, always though they'd be in the region of £35-£40 for a good one. Cheers man, will definitely pick one up, been wanting to OC for ages haha! 

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Ah sweet, always though they'd be in the region of £35-£40 for a good one. Cheers man, will definitely pick one up, been wanting to OC for ages haha! 

Majistrate
Bear in mind the 212+ is very large and probably won't fit in a basic case.