Computer fixed...or is it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by overhead_drums (311 posts) -

no...is the short answer.

Hello all, this is going to be a rant im afriad.

After getting fed up with BSOD's in WoW i decided to take my PC into the experts and get them to take a looksy. All by BSOD's were 0x00000116 which they said is related to drivers, which i agreed on. They had my PC a few days ran some tests updated some stuff and they experienced no crashes. Which is typical. Anyways, he said take it home have a little go and see what happens.

So twice this evening i have had one BSOD and one complete freeze requiring a reset, both giving me this message in the system log:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout Error
Processor ID: 0

One of these was playing Farcry 3 one was on WoW, i have never had this error before so this is a lovely new one, can anyone shed some light to end my computer woes. I haven't had a stable computer for about a month now and my first storey window is a great height to test my pc's durability...

Cheers everyone...

EDIT: i would like to add my temps are fine, and heres my specs which i have typed more than enough for one lifetime:

AMD Phenom II x6 1100t

XFX DD 7970

ASUS M4N98TD EVO

Gskills Ripjaws 8GB 1600Mhz

OCZ ZS 750watt PSU

#2 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3658 posts) -
Do you have the correct/current chipset drivers?
#3 Posted by General_X (9028 posts) -
Are there any USB peripherals that you use that they wouldn't have at the shop?
#4 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6028 posts) -

check to see if the 7970 is faulty, swap in an older video card and test your games to see if anything happens.

#5 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12895 posts) -
Do you have the correct/current chipset drivers?acanofcoke
I would say this, try a new NB driver from the AMD or manufacturer website, it may also be that the MB is faulty.
#6 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
Try increasing your NB voltage in the bios.. The 980a is a rebadged 780a, and 7xx series nVidia chipsets need higher voltages when you add fast components...
#7 Posted by overhead_drums (311 posts) -
Cheers for the suggestions guys, what I'm gonna do is we d my CPU back. I had NO problems before I installed it so I guess that's brought all my problems. I downgraded to my gts 450 and so far no crashes. Can a gpu cause so many issues but survive every stress test I throw at it? It seems to be the cause of all my hassle! Cheers guys! X
#9 Posted by overhead_drums (311 posts) -
Sorry I meant send my gpu back
#10 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
I did some google searches, and there are alot of other people that are having the same problem as you. Try running WoW in DX9 mode and see if it works...
#11 Posted by overhead_drums (311 posts) -
Hi superclocked, thanks for the reply. I tried the WoW in x9 and no luck, it's not just WoW as well. It has happend in far cry 3 and guild wars 2 also. I might just RMA and get a 670 or 690. I have never had issues with my nvidia cards before.
#12 Posted by kungfool69 (2574 posts) -

sometimes, but rarely, BSOD's are caused by faulty windows updates. try running all updates JUST to make sure its not something as easy as that

#13 Posted by overhead_drums (311 posts) -
I've got all the latest windows updates and driver updates and my system was enough to confuse the tekkies in the shop. Surely it's the video card, it seems to run fine with the gts 450.
#14 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6028 posts) -

most probably its a compatibility issue with your motherboards nvidia chipset and the graphics card. The video card will probably work in somebody elses computer fine.

#15 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
Did you try increasing your NB voltage in the bios yet? I had to increase my NB voltage everytime that I added faster components to my motherboard that had an nVidia chipset very similar to yours...
#16 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

most probably its a compatibility issue with your motherboards nvidia chipset and the graphics card. The video card will probably work in somebody elses computer fine.

blaznwiipspman1
^ This is definitely not your problem...
#17 Posted by overhead_drums (311 posts) -
Did you try increasing your NB voltage in the bios yet? I had to increase my NB voltage everytime that I added faster components to my motherboard that had an nVidia chipset very similar to yours...superclocked
I will give this a go today. What is the NB voltage anyway? most of my bios options are set on AUTO and I have left them that way. What would you say my NB voltage has to be? Thanks
#18 Posted by kraken2109 (13007 posts) -

Test ram, so many BSODs are caused by faulty ram.

#19 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
[QUOTE="superclocked"]Did you try increasing your NB voltage in the bios yet? I had to increase my NB voltage everytime that I added faster components to my motherboard that had an nVidia chipset very similar to yours...overhead_drums
I will give this a go today. What is the NB voltage anyway? most of my bios options are set on AUTO and I have left them that way. What would you say my NB voltage has to be? Thanks

After overclocking, adding SATA harddrives, and adding a decent videocard, I ended up having my NB (SPP) voltage at it's maximum value of 1.55v. But my 750i nforce NB was a generation older than yours, so you shouldn't have to increase your setting to it's max value.. Try increasing your NB voltage by 0.1v above it's current auto setting and see if that fixes the problem. So if your NB voltage automatically defaults to 1.1v, then bump it up to 1.2v. If it defaults to 1.2v, then bump it up to 1.3v.. Also, check your NB (SPP) temperature using the trial version of AIDA 64 Extreme. You'll find the temp monitor graph in the stability test section. You may have to add your NB/SPP to the graph via the preferences menu...
#20 Posted by overhead_drums (311 posts) -
[QUOTE="overhead_drums"][QUOTE="superclocked"]Did you try increasing your NB voltage in the bios yet? I had to increase my NB voltage everytime that I added faster components to my motherboard that had an nVidia chipset very similar to yours...superclocked

After overclocking, adding SATA harddrives, and adding a decent videocard, I ended up having my NB (SPP) voltage at it's maximum value of 1.55v. But my 750i nforce NB was a generation older than yours, so you shouldn't have to increase your setting to it's max value.. Try increasing your NB voltage by 0.1v above it's current auto setting and see if that fixes the problem. So if your NB voltage automatically defaults to 1.1v, then bump it up to 1.2v. If it defaults to 1.2v, then bump it up to 1.3v.. Also, check your NB (SPP) temperature using the trial version of AIDA 64 Extreme. You'll find the temp monitor graph in the stability test section. You may have to add your NB/SPP to the graph via the preferences menu...

I would like to thank you superclocked, you were right! Turns out my CPU wasn't getting enough power to it and why? because like a mongloid i hadn't plugged my 8 pin cpu plug in properly. Mine is two separate 4 pins. The one on the right was in nicely, but the one on the left was jumped one square to the left, meaning the left hand 4 pin was half plugged in and half out!! I'm a nutcase! I have installed my XFX 7970 again, cleaned all the drivers and installed beta 12.11 and CAP2 which for some people has fixed WoW crashes. But you were absoloutley right about the CPU being the problem and not getting enough power...lol! Cheers For the help Superclocked!..again. Cheers mate!
#21 Posted by overhead_drums (311 posts) -
So...yeah... Still having crashes... The BETA drivers caused guild wars 2 to BSOD (0x0000016), so i downgraded to the "stable" ones from the XFX website and guild wars 2 crashed again to a black screen and nothing but holding the power button down worked. I think i have to send this headache of a card back tomorrow...