Computer being strange

This topic is locked from further discussion.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

My computer is doing some odd things which are as follows

1) if i try to get it to hibernate, it immediately reboots as soon as it has gone into hibernate mode. it only does this once though, if i hibernate again after it has rebooted it will shut off.

2) if i put my computer into standby and leave it there for a while, it wont boot back up. the tower fans come back on but thats it.

3) when playing some games, a weird noise comes from my computer. its sounds like a high pitched electrical noise. i think its coming from the graphics card put im not sure, its hard to pinpoint. the noise changes slightly depending on the colours on the screen. bright colours seem to have the biggest effect on the sound.

besides this the rig seems to be behaving normally. i havent noticed any graphical corruption and the system appears to be stable.

my specs are:

processor: core 2 extreme qx6700

Motherboard: Asus P5N32E sli plus

Power Supply: tagan 700W power supply

Graphics card: geforce 8800GTX

HDD: Western Digital raptor 10,000rpm

at the mo im suspecting the power supply. i think it could be behaving oddly. however any ideas would be most welcome. thanks in advance.

DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
Replace that PSU, it's not one of the best PSU's and it could cause all the trouble in standy and hibernate mode, since the PSU has to kick-start the system back online and if the PSU is bad, the modes can cause trouble.
Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
I think it could be either the graphics card or the PSU. You should swap out that PSU as soon as possible. You don't want it damaging any of that equipment. If possible, take off your case side panel to determine where the noise is coming from.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts
kewl thanks for the input. ill try a different supply to see if that helps.