completely virtual computer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 p00zer
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts

Does this exist?

I do not own a computer, but want to run a few programs on my school's computers. They do not let us install our own programs. So, is it possible to run a virtual computer of some sorts on their computer, that has my programs installed? I know that there are services which let you play video games by streaming them, so I assume this would work the same way. Never heard of it though.

So basically;

a) can I get around the problem of wanting to run my own software on computers that do not let me do this

b) do "virtual computer" servicse exist, and if so can I get linked?

Thanks!

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

VMware, Virtualbox are just 2, google it, its free.

p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 p00zer
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts

I should add that I have access to an FTP server. Maybe I could install my software on that, and access it from a distance somehow..

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Just look at those 2 programs, does what you want...:roll:

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Just look at those 2 programs, does what you want...:roll:

GTR12
No they won't, he can't run stuff on the school computers, which i'm assuming would include VM software.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Does this exist?

I do not own a computer, but want to run a few programs on my school's computers. They do not let us install our own programs. So, is it possible to run a virtual computer of some sorts on their computer, that has my programs installed? I know that there are services which let you play video games by streaming them, so I assume this would work the same way. Never heard of it though.

So basically;

a) can I get around the problem of wanting to run my own software on computers that do not let me do this

b) do "virtual computer" servicse exist, and if so can I get linked?

Thanks!

p00zer

There are basically two ways to do what you are describing, but neither of them will likely work for what you are trying to do. Yes, you can run a virtual computer using on another computer using something like Virtualbox or VMWare, but those are still -programs-. If you aren't allow to install your own apps on the shared school computers then there's no way in hell they are going to let you install a Virtual Machine utility on them.

The second option would be an IaaS Cloud (Infrastructure as a Service) like Microsoft's Azure or Amazon's EC2. This kind of service provides your own virtual server (not client OS, typically) that you can access from the internet. However, you have to pay for these services and it's likely you won't be able to access them from your school network because the ports typically used to access VMs like this remotely are generally blocked.

-Byshop

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

You *might* be able to try a portable OS and get it to boot from your thumbdrive. At that point you will be the admin and can do whateveryou want on your thumbdrive. It will, of course, be limited to Linux.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

Well you could for say pull off the administrator password off the computer and gain full control in a manner of minutes. Then make a second user and leave him always logged in and remote in via team viewer. However the normal user side may notice these programs so you'd have to make sure to delete them from their side.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

You *might* be able to try a portable OS and get it to boot from your thumbdrive. At that point you will be the admin and can do whateveryou want on your thumbdrive. It will, of course, be limited to Linux.

XaosII

Windows PE can be installed to USB and booted, so no you don't -have- to use Linux if you go this route. However, doing anything like this would likely be a violation of the school computer lab's policies. That's also assuming the the boot order isn't restricted and the BIOS doesn't have a password on it, which would prevent this from working at all.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Byshop  Moderator

Well you could for say pull off the administrator password off the computer and gain full control in a manner of minutes. Then make a second user and leave him always logged in and remote in via team viewer. However the normal user side may notice these programs so you'd have to make sure to delete them from their side.

zaku101

Did you even read his question? He doesn't have his own computer. This entire suggestion makes no sense.

-Byshop

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zaku101

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

Byshop

Did you even read his question? He doesn't have his own computer. This entire suggestion makes no sense.

-Byshop

Well tell him to get one!

My post is correct, it would allow him to do w.e he wanted to do in a normal windows environment, meaning the computer is all his, hence no need for a VM machine. If he wanted one he could use the one he cracked into, you don't need another computer to remote into a computer buddy.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator

My post is correct, it would allow him to do w.e he wanted to do in a normal windows environment. You don't need another computer to remote into a computer buddy.

zaku101

Your post is idiotic, as usual. How would he get the admin password? Even if he could "obtain" it, that's obviously a violation of the policies that he's trying to obey. Team Viewer is a 3rd party app that he's not allowed to install. And why would he need to "remote" into the computer that he's sitting at?

Another brilliant post from Zaku.

To the Op: Ignore this guy. I don't know if he's an idiot or if he's trolling but he does this a lot.

-Byshop

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zaku101

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

My post is correct, it would allow him to do w.e he wanted to do in a normal windows environment. You don't need another computer to remote into a computer buddy.

Byshop

Your post is idiotic, as usual. How would he get the admin password? Even if he could "obtain" it, that's obviously a violation of the policies that he's trying to obey. Team Viewer is a 3rd party app that he's not allowed to install. And why would he need to "remote" into the computer that he's sitting at?

Another brilliant post from Zaku.

To the Op: Ignore this guy. I don't know if he's an idiot or if he's trolling but he does this a lot.

-Byshop

He'd just use Ophcrack, and he might want to remote into it to look at files or run it from another device such as his phone or tablet, it'd basically be a WM for him.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Byshop  Moderator

He'd just use Ophcrack, and he might want to remote into it look at files or run it from another device such as his phone or tablet, it'd basically be a WM for him.

zaku101

Brute forcing the admin password and installing a remote access app has absolutely nothing to do with his question.

-Byshop

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zaku101

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

He'd just use Ophcrack, and he might want to remote into it look at files or run it from another device such as his phone or tablet, it'd basically be a WM for him.

Byshop

Brute forcing the admin password and installing a remote access app has absolutely nothing to do with his question.

-Byshop

"I do not own a computer, but want to run a few programs on my school's computers"

Hey I gave him a computer plus a way of gaining full control of it what more could he ask for? If you guys have a better idea by all means go ahead and post it.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Byshop  Moderator

Hey I gave him a computer plus a way of gaining full control of it what more could he ask for? If you guys have a better idea by all means go ahead and post it.

zaku101

No, you gave him a way to get banned from his school's computer lab.

-Byshop

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

vmware virtual box citrix

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Yes as mentioned just ophcrack a computer at your school, install virtual box and create a virtual machine then use that for anything you want, however doing this is indeed frowned upon and may get you banned like Byshop says but it's what you asked for us to provide an answer to so blame us if you get expelled, you know the risks. Or you could install virtual box portably to a flash drive or USB HDD and then boot up virtual box from that if you're allowed to, that way you aren't tampering with the school PC and if it works you're simply using what the PC allows you to do and can be considered a flaw in the schools policy and you won't get any punishment. You migh get told to not do it again but I can't see it causing any punishment.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zaku101

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

Byshop

No, you gave him a way to get banned from his school's computer lab.

-Byshop

Dude he'd have a better chance of getting hit by a car than getting caught.

Alright what about this less illegal idea.

He partitions the drive, installs windows 7, then clones the drive onto his external. Then he deletes everything hes done and then just boots into the os with the cloned windows OS on his eternal. It should be fast enough since drives these days are SSD and USB 3.0. Hence its no different than him booting into a live OS but with all the features of a real onesmile.gif.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

My networking knowledge is definitely some of the weaker aspects of my overall computer knowledge.

But doesn't he more than likely log into a domain. And theres more than likely not even an existing admin account if its domain based?

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

how about abide by the school rules kid.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zaku101

My networking knowledge is definitely some of the weaker aspects of my overall computer knowledge.

But doesn't he more than likely log into a domain. And theres more than likely not even an existing admin account if its domain based?

XaosII

There's always an admin account since once the user logs in a profile is created for them on the computer. If you actually go to the users folder you'll notice everyone folder that has used the computer and logged in. The admin account has probably logged in once or more times bcs 1 login is required just to add the system to the domain.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

zaku101

There's always an admin account since once the user logs in a profile is created for them on the computer. If you actually go to the users folder you'll notice everyone folder that has used the computer and logged in. The admin account has probably logged in once or more times bcs 1 login is required just to add the system to the domain.

You literally know nothing.

Just make a live usb or live cd and boot off of that.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="babynancy543"]How do you completely restore your computer to default settings? increase facebook fans

Go home bot
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

zaku101

we tend to either a) remove local admin when it's added to the domain, or b) make local admin a non-standard account name with an utterly brutal password, since it's so infrequently used. ophcrack can crack windows xp easily enough, has a much harder time with windows 7. but besides all that, you cannot locally crack a domain account's password. it authenticates against the DC, so it doesn't store the password locally on the computer, even hashed. also - when you do not have access to a computer of your own and can only use the school computers, how do you go about making an ophcrack livecd/usb? :P those downloads are super-filtered pretty much everywhere.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Byshop  Moderator

we tend to either a) remove local admin when it's added to the domain, or b) make local admin a non-standard account name with an utterly brutal password, since it's so infrequently used. ophcrack can crack windows xp easily enough, has a much harder time with windows 7. but besides all that, you cannot locally crack a domain account's password. it authenticates against the DC, so it doesn't store the password locally on the computer, even hashed. also - when you do not have access to a computer of your own and can only use the school computers, how do you go about making an ophcrack livecd/usb? :P those downloads are super-filtered pretty much everywhere.Makari

Yeah, if you set up a network following the MCSE/MCITP guidelines, disabling admin and changing the name to a non-standard name is exactly what you are supposed to upon setting up a new network (both the local admin and the domain admin accounts). Client OSes can and do cache the credentials of domain accounts. This is how laptops or remote computers are capapble of logging in locally when not directly connected to their domain.

If he were really trying to hack his school's computers (which from his post I'm pretty sure his question was around running apps -without- violating school rules) then his best bet would be to use a live USB stick with a password reset utility. While the local admin account's name can change, the GUID that uniquely identifies the account in Windows does not. These utilities boot outside of Windows and directly access the registry and locate the admin account based via GUID and overwrites the hashed password with their own. They'll also tell you what the username is for the admin account if it has been changed from "administrator". Zaku's suggestion to brute force the password is, as usual, born out of a complete lack of knowledge of the subject matter.

If the Op wanted to accomplish his goal unobtrusively and without modifying his school's computers, then WinPE on a USB stick would be the best (albeit slow) solution.

That's of course assuming that boot to USB isn't disabled in the BIOS and that the BIOS isn't password protected if boot to USB has been disabled. To be honest, if the network admin is any good then all of this would have been done and the discussion is moot.

-Byshop

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

how about abide by the school rules kid.

jakes456

why is jakes the only one posting sense

i've had my fair share of power abusing in HS, and they were actually sort of sophisticated ways, e.g remotely.

Not worth it.

ofc what the OP wants to do is baby also can you even run exe files tc?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Byshop  Moderator

why is jakes the only one posting sense

i've had my fair share of power abusing in HS, and they were actually sophisticated ways.

Not worth it.

ofc what the OP wants to do is baby also can you even run exe files tc?

Or just not install?

also you can just use portable virtualbox http://www.vbox.me/

EDIT: nm, even portable vb needs admin

JigglyWiggly_

My suggestions were all non-invasive and I specifically pointed out that most of them would probably violate school policy. Logging into an IaaS service is probably the only way he could do what he asks without violating policy (maybe).

-Byshop

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

actually tc could use qemu http://lassauge.free.fr/qemu/

enjoy

prepare for hell

http://milky.manishsinha.net/2008/07/10/using-qemu-on-windows/

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Depending on the software you want, there are usually Free Open-Source Software (FOSS) alternatives that have builds that allow them to run directly off of a flash drive with no need for installation.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GummiRaccoon

also kon boot

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points