Company of Heroes (New Steam Version) - Make the Shift

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3550 posts) -

So, as some of you may have noticed your Steam accounts may have been updated with a new version of Company of Heroes. CoHs current servers are going to be shutdown in May so they are migrating everything to Steamworks. Might be better that way in terms of lag. lol. Who knows. 

News Source and Explanation: http://www.coh2.org/news/2035/servers-for-coh1-to-continue-on-steamworks

How to activate your copy if you have another version of CoH from somewhere else like GamersGate: 

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forums/community-news-feed/topics/How-to-switch-to-the-new-Steamworks-Company-of-Heroes?page=1#post-222263

#2 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

Sega is awesome.

#3 Posted by II-Siamak-II (479 posts) -

So does it mean I can buy and activate the retail version of COH 1 on Steam?

#4 Posted by wis3boi (31824 posts) -

Impressive that they are putting in the time and effort rather than abandoning the game in the face of the Sequel's release. 

Dow 2: Retribution used steamworks for matchmaking and it worked really well, same with the CoH 2 beta. 

with_teeth26

When DoW 2 ditched GFWL in favor of steam, I nearly shat my pants in joy

#5 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3550 posts) -

II-Siamak-II
lol I think so actually. My GamersGate key activated no problem. Pretty cool I guess. Eh?
#6 Posted by wis3boi (31824 posts) -

II-Siamak-II

Probably. FUnny enough, I actually faked doing it earlier.  I had a retail boxed copy of the game from release, but got the expansions on steam.  I simply added the CD keys to my account, and since everyone has to download the entire coh collection for multiplayer purposes, it worked fine

#7 Posted by Wasdie (50488 posts) -

So Sega getting Relic is probably the best thing ever. The CoH servers were good, but Steamworks makes a lot more sense though.

#8 Posted by with_teeth26 (6263 posts) -

Impressive that they are putting in the time and effort rather than abandoning the game in the face of the Sequel's release. 

Dow 2: Retribution used steamworks for matchmaking and it worked really well, same with the CoH 2 beta. 

#9 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5896 posts) -

with_teeth26

I have to say I'm shocked. Most companies would just abandon the servers after a few years let alone seven.

#10 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18415 posts) -
So thats what the HUGE update is about.
#11 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3550 posts) -

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

wis3boi

When DoW 2 ditched GFWL in favor of steam, I nearly shat my pants in joy

Well now we know any other Relic game is going to be at least decent online. Sega has always allowed CA make the TW games Steam only without any GFWL or other third party crap so we probably have a nice future ahead of us. The new system is so much smoother. No more praying that you can log in or getting bogged down by stacked systems. Hell ya.
#12 Posted by Collecian (263 posts) -

Thanks for posting this. I tried the retail copy of Opposing Fronts I bought a few years ago and it activated on steam.

#13 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12209 posts) -
All of my COH games were already on Steam, making the transition easy. This is an awesome change. Thanks Relic/Saga!
#14 Posted by jhonMalcovich (5053 posts) -

Thank you Sega

#15 Posted by cjs_tobi (1 posts) -
i see that the new version doesn`t have steam cloud also why the weight is 3gb less thant the original one ? i see that sega are gonna fak all of us in the ass i really like THQ but the beatufull games that doesn`t are bad like COD doesn`t succes T_T
#16 Posted by Lach0121 (9940 posts) -

with_teeth26

I know right....

It makes me feel a little bit better that one of the only games I plan on getting at full price this year, (probably even pre-order) is CoH2.

Most companies would have closed them, Not move them over to make sure they continue to get great support!!!

#17 Posted by wis3boi (31824 posts) -

i see that the new version doesn`t have steam cloud also why the weight is 3gb less thant the original one ? i see that sega are gonna fak all of us in the ass i really like THQ but the beatufull games that doesn`t are bad like COD doesn`t succes T_Tcjs_tobi

thumbs_what_the_fuck_am_a_reading.png

#18 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3550 posts) -

[QUOTE="cjs_tobi"]i see that the new version doesn`t have steam cloud also why the weight is 3gb less thant the original one ? i see that sega are gonna fak all of us in the ass i really like THQ but the beatufull games that doesn`t are bad like COD doesn`t succes T_Twis3boi

thumbs_what_the_fuck_am_a_reading.png

....AHAHAHAHAHAHA. I loled.