Civ5 beginner and expansion question (Weekend Steam Sale)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Qwikstreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Qwikstreet
Member since 2002 • 2883 Posts

I was raised as a console gamer for decades but I'm starting to turn that around and get into some PC gaming. I always wanted to play the Civ games. I noticed that Steam has a sale this weekend where Civ is under 10 and then there is the game with a lot of expansions for under 17.

My question is should I even bother with all the addons or will I be overwhelmed as it is learning the mechanics and perfecting my strategy? I won't be able to pour hundreds of hours in the game and will be only a few hours a week to this game.

(Side note: I'm also on a macbook pro for now. I'm in the process of selling it for a decent gaming laptop.)

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

If you really wanted to get into it, I'd definitely get the big expansions. The extra Civilization packs aren't necessary, but add some fun diversity.

Qwikstreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Qwikstreet
Member since 2002 • 2883 Posts

Thanks. I'm checking out the video. For an extra $10 for all the expansions I'm sure it will be worth it down the road.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I think there's 7 difficulty levels to choose from, as well as a lot of other options, like game speed, quantity of resourses, barbarians on/off etc. You can skip the easiest and set the 2nd easiest difficulty, quick speed and 4 or 6 players, leave everything else to default. That shouldn't be too hard for a beginner. So if you win, set the difficulty one notch higher.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

@Qwikstreet:

Sup dude the add ons are sweet game-play..One adds steampunk style units awesome adds to it..Brave new world is a must have..Also look into there new game..Space civ game old alpha centuri remake beyond earth..Out in oct..Cant wait for this game..Been waiting a long time for it..Glad there remaking this style civ game..

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I've recently started playing Civ 5 and I cant stop it, I only bough the basic game wish I got all the expansions now. However I bought it just before it went on sale.

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PfizersaurusRex

@thehig1 said:

I've recently started playing Civ 5 and I cant stop it, I only bough the basic game wish I got all the expansions now. However I bought it just before it went on sale.

DLC's are also on sale ;). And you should definitely get them, or at least Brave New World. It makes this game seem complete.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thehig1

@PfizersaurusRex: what's in the brave new world dlc anyway?

I'm also holding out for beyond earth when that comes out in October

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PfizersaurusRex

@thehig1: Well, diplomacy is much more complex, with spies/diplomats, ideologies, the World Congres that can make all kinds of decisions, like increase military cost for everyone, or embargo a city-state, etc. Also everything seems more balanced compared to vanilla, you can't just blitzkrieg a whole civilization with a handfull of units, or build 90% of world wonders.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Well, Brave New World is a must (it includes the stuff from Gods and Kings in it as well). But base game + BNW is $15, and Complete Edition is $17, I think the choice is easy here. :D

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thehig1

@harry_james_pot: @PfizersaurusRex: Jut bought "Brave New World" hope its worth it :)

You had me sold when you said it adds depth to the diplomacy

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@thehig1 said:

@harry_james_pot: @PfizersaurusRex: Jut bought "Brave New World" hope its worth it :)

You had me sold when you said it adds depth to the diplomacy

It improves the trading as well. And it also has Gods in Kings in it, which adds religion and overhauls the culture stuff. I only bought the expansion 2 days ago and already having a lot of fun with it. :)

Edit: Make sure to read up on the new culture mechanic, because it's completely different now.