Choose me a keyboard

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Klunt_Bumskrint (3638 posts) -

Merry Christmas and all that.

Moving oN

I want a new keyboard.

Atm I'm using a Logitech wireless k350 which I like and is a pretty great keyboard overall.

I bought it several years ago when I was using my pc in my living room on my 50 inch viera so it had to be wireless.

I sometimes get wireless lag particularly on fps games so now I want to switch to wired. As I have no real knowledge of keyboards I need advice.

Got £50 to spend so far may have more the next week. I know nothing of mechanical keyboards so any advice relating to that good too.

Ta muchly

#2 Edited by Klunt_Bumskrint (3638 posts) -

Anybody? :(

#4 Edited by C_Rule (9739 posts) -

Don't think there'll be many mechanical options for £50. If you can stick a 4770K and two 780s in a PC, surely you can put a bit more into a keyboard?



I don't have too many recommendations. I had an MS Sidewinder X4 before the G710+ Sidewinder X4 is quite a nice keyboard, for what it cost. If you can still find one new, it should be within your initial budget.

If you decide to look at something more in-line with the rest of your PC, I'd definitely recommend the G710+. I'm no expert on mechanical switches, but I do find browns to be pretty nice. Ignoring the switch type, the G710+ is an excellent keyboard. Only gripe I have with G710+ is no dedicated calculator button (calculator button on my Sidewinder got a lot of use), but it's easy enough to bind programs to a macro key.

#5 Edited by True_Sounds (2889 posts) -

It's boxing day in the UK right now, so if you will ever find a decent mechanical keyboard for 50 quid, today is the day! I live in Canada though, so I can't really give you any advice on deals.

#6 Posted by True_Sounds (2889 posts) -
#7 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3638 posts) -

@C_Rule said:

Don't think there'll be many mechanical options for £50. If you can stick a 4770K and two 780s in a PC, surely you can put a bit more into a keyboard?

I don't have too many recommendations. I had an MS Sidewinder X4 before the G710+ Sidewinder X4 is quite a nice keyboard, for what it cost. If you can still find one new, it should be within your initial budget.

If you decide to look at something more in-line with the rest of your PC, I'd definitely recommend the G710+. I'm no expert on mechanical switches, but I do find browns to be pretty nice. Ignoring the switch type, the G710+ is an excellent keyboard. Only gripe I have with G710+ is no dedicated calculator button (calculator button on my Sidewinder got a lot of use), but it's easy enough to bind programs to a macro key.

I can spend more but I'm limiting myself to any cash I get for Christmas. Though if I find something really zexy I might give in.

Has anyone one here gone from membrane/Dome keyboard to mechanical. Last time I used a mechanical was at school when all keyboards were mechanical. ( Aahhhh the old days )

G710+ looks nice, back lighting is a must too!

#8 Posted by Arthas045 (5098 posts) -

I know pretty much nothing about keyboards I'm still rocking a Dell keyboard from like 2000. I think I want to get a G105 Logitech.

#9 Posted by IvanElk (3798 posts) -

Mechanicals are worth the extra money imho blue switches improve your typing immensely. However I would suggest doing the o-ring mod if noise is a concern, the blues are pretty loud.

#10 Posted by PonchoTaco (1964 posts) -

I have this one and really like it. Good price too.

Keyboard

#13 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3638 posts) -

I've reserved a Corsair Raptor K30 and a Mad Catz v5 so I can collect locally. Leaning more towards the raptor and it's £5 cheaper. Picking one up tomorrow.

Which one? Anyone got either?

#14 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

Das Keyboard, for gaming and typing. CM Storm Quickfire Pro is really good too. I'd like to argue that a $10 does the job. I haven't seen a change in-game ever since I started using a "gaming" or "mechanical keyboard." But if being "comfortable" is what you're after, then I think it's worth a shot. Just don't expect any gains in online gaming. Long story short, my Das keyboard is being used at work now. I am literally at work as I type with it.

I thought I'd touch up on that aspect of gaming. I hope it helps, even the least bit.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VDOOBU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3NQEL5RPRFI67&coliid=I1PJ4W6D325HEJ

#15 Edited by James161324 (8315 posts) -

Das Keyboard, for gaming and typing. CM Storm Quickfire Pro is really good too. I'd like to argue that a $10 does the job. I haven't seen a change in-game ever since I started using a "gaming" or "mechanical keyboard." But if being "comfortable" is what you're after, then I think it's worth a shot. Just don't expect any gains in online gaming. Long story short, my Das keyboard is being used at work now. I am literally at work as I type with it.

I thought I'd touch up on that aspect of gaming. I hope it helps, even the least bit.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VDOOBU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3NQEL5RPRFI67&coliid=I1PJ4W6D325HEJ

I really doesn't matter which keyboard you use. I'm using a wireless Logitech because its comfortable

#16 Edited by Klunt_Bumskrint (3638 posts) -

All irrelevant.

I couldn't resist and spent a bit more and bought a Corsair K70

#17 Posted by Gammit10 (2250 posts) -

I use a Rosewill mechanical keyboard with Cherry switches. Love it.

#18 Edited by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

@Elann2008 said:

Das Keyboard, for gaming and typing. CM Storm Quickfire Pro is really good too. I'd like to argue that a $10 does the job. I haven't seen a change in-game ever since I started using a "gaming" or "mechanical keyboard." But if being "comfortable" is what you're after, then I think it's worth a shot. Just don't expect any gains in online gaming. Long story short, my Das keyboard is being used at work now. I am literally at work as I type with it.

I thought I'd touch up on that aspect of gaming. I hope it helps, even the least bit.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VDOOBU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3NQEL5RPRFI67&coliid=I1PJ4W6D325HEJ

I really doesn't matter which keyboard you use. I'm using a wireless Logitech because its comfortable

Yup. Exactly!

#19 Edited by Klunt_Bumskrint (3638 posts) -

@James161324 said:

@Elann2008 said:

Das Keyboard, for gaming and typing. CM Storm Quickfire Pro is really good too. I'd like to argue that a $10 does the job. I haven't seen a change in-game ever since I started using a "gaming" or "mechanical keyboard." But if being "comfortable" is what you're after, then I think it's worth a shot. Just don't expect any gains in online gaming. Long story short, my Das keyboard is being used at work now. I am literally at work as I type with it.

I thought I'd touch up on that aspect of gaming. I hope it helps, even the least bit.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VDOOBU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3NQEL5RPRFI67&coliid=I1PJ4W6D325HEJ

I really doesn't matter which keyboard you use. I'm using a wireless Logitech because its comfortable

It obviously matters as I needed one with anti ghosting.

#20 Edited by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

@acanofcoke said:

@James161324 said:

@Elann2008 said:

Das Keyboard, for gaming and typing. CM Storm Quickfire Pro is really good too. I'd like to argue that a $10 does the job. I haven't seen a change in-game ever since I started using a "gaming" or "mechanical keyboard." But if being "comfortable" is what you're after, then I think it's worth a shot. Just don't expect any gains in online gaming. Long story short, my Das keyboard is being used at work now. I am literally at work as I type with it.

I thought I'd touch up on that aspect of gaming. I hope it helps, even the least bit.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VDOOBU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3NQEL5RPRFI67&coliid=I1PJ4W6D325HEJ

I really doesn't matter which keyboard you use. I'm using a wireless Logitech because its comfortable

It obviously matters as I needed one with anti ghosting.

From personal experience, anti-ghosting and all those "gaming" keyboard terms can be over-inflated. Like I said in my original post, I used some high-quality keyboards. I don't recall a moment where it felt like there was anti-ghosting at work. But feel free to try those suggestions in the future if your Corsair K70 doesn't work out. I just find it a little funny that I ended up back on my $10 keyboard. I switch back and forth between standard and chiclet keyboard.

I think you'll find out soon enough that it'll be more about being comfortable and typing, than "anti-ghosting" and all these marketing terms.

#21 Edited by Klunt_Bumskrint (3638 posts) -

@Elann2008: I was getting situations in fast action games like BF4 where key presses were not being recognised and my character wouldn't move. ANTI GHOSTING eliminates that.

I've just tried it and it works.

Sexy keyboard too

#22 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

@Elann2008: I was getting situations in fast action games like BF4 where key presses were not being recognised and my character wouldn't move. ANTI GHOSTING eliminates that.

I've just tried it and it works.

Sexy keyboard too

Awesome man. If you definitely notice a difference, that's great! Lookin' good man.

#23 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2570 posts) -

@acanofcoke said:

@Elann2008: I was getting situations in fast action games like BF4 where key presses were not being recognised and my character wouldn't move. ANTI GHOSTING eliminates that.

I've just tried it and it works.

Sexy keyboard too

Awesome man. If you definitely notice a difference, that's great! Lookin' good man.

so what keyboard did you go with?

#24 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3638 posts) -

@Elann2008 said:

@acanofcoke said:

@Elann2008: I was getting situations in fast action games like BF4 where key presses were not being recognised and my character wouldn't move. ANTI GHOSTING eliminates that.

I've just tried it and it works.

Sexy keyboard too

Awesome man. If you definitely notice a difference, that's great! Lookin' good man.

so what keyboard did you go with?

Corsair K70. It's niiiiice

#25 Edited by whitey_rolls (2489 posts) -

Not sure if you can get it for the price but I recently purchased a Ducky Shine II with Black switches and I love it.

Switch preference is a personal thing; get blacks, blues, reds, browns - whatever you like but as a far as build quality goes the Ducky is top notch.

#26 Edited by GeminonTraveler (155 posts) -
#27 Posted by IvanElk (3798 posts) -
#28 Edited by _SKatEDiRt_ (2570 posts) -
#29 Edited by IvanElk (3798 posts) -
#30 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3638 posts) -
#31 Posted by GeminonTraveler (155 posts) -
#32 Posted by IvanElk (3798 posts) -
#33 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3693 posts) -

Honestly f*** mechanical keyboards. Chicklet keyboards are where its at for gaming.

Razer DeathStalker Expert is what I recommend:

You f***ed up with the K70.

#34 Edited by Klunt_Bumskrint (3638 posts) -
#35 Edited by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3693 posts) -

Sorry, you're going to have to explain...

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Honestly f*** mechanical keyboards. Chicklet keyboards are where its at for gaming.

Razer DeathStalker Expert is what I recommend:

You f***ed up with the K70.

I really don't think I did.

My taste and opinion is superior... You must adapt to it or you will die.

#37 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3638 posts) -

@geminontraveler: yes, please explain what is wrong with " choose me a keyboard ".

#38 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3693 posts) -

@geminontraveler: yes, please explain what is wrong with " choose me a keyboard ".

Nothing really.

Ignore geminon he can't seems to spot a obvious joke... Asking him a question would is like picking up notes with your butt cheeks shameful and difficult.

#39 Edited by GeminonTraveler (155 posts) -

@acanofcoke said:

@geminontraveler: yes, please explain what is wrong with " choose me a keyboard ".

wow... i am blown away with the people on this forum.

if you cant determine what is wrong with the sentence "choose me a keyboard"..... i dont even know what to say. mind literally blown.

#40 Edited by GeminonTraveler (155 posts) -

@acanofcoke said:

@geminontraveler: yes, please explain what is wrong with " choose me a keyboard ".

Nothing really.

Ignore geminon he can't seems to spot a obvious joke... Asking him a question would is like picking up notes with your butt cheeks shameful and difficult.

people.... um.... actually do that!?!?! wtf?

you are the king of idiotic hyperbole....

#41 Edited by Klunt_Bumskrint (3638 posts) -

@geminontraveler said:

@acanofcoke said:

@geminontraveler: yes, please explain what is wrong with " choose me a keyboard ".

wow... i am blown away with the people on this forum.

if you cant determine what is wrong with the sentence "choose me a keyboard"..... i dont even know what to say. mind literally blown.

Ok then, enjoy yourself.

You've been here just over a week and most of your posts are shouty or inflammatory.

Just take a chill pill dude. I realise puberty is difficult.....

#42 Posted by hotstonez (299 posts) -
#43 Posted by IvanElk (3798 posts) -

@geminontraveler said:

@acanofcoke said:

@geminontraveler: yes, please explain what is wrong with " choose me a keyboard ".

wow... i am blown away with the people on this forum.

if you cant determine what is wrong with the sentence "choose me a keyboard"..... i dont even know what to say. mind literally blown.

Ok then, enjoy yourself.

You've been here just over a week and most of your posts are shouty or inflammatory.

Just take a chill pill dude. I realise puberty is difficult.....

lol geminon has been here waaaaaaaaaay longer than a week. Pretty sure his actual account was suspended.

But also Razer death stalker is pretty gimmicky, and who the hell likes typing on chiclet keys. I guess for double tapping they are good, but other than that I would rather have a mechanical over chiclet any day.

#44 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23457 posts) -

I personally prefer chiclet to mechanical keyboards because I like putting as little force as possible. Apple keyboard master race... woo

But they are definitely not for everyone, my friends who have tried it make so many typos because their hands are big.

Also ignore Geminom he is always turbomad.

#45 Posted by quikdash6 (413 posts) -

I personally prefer chiclet to mechanical keyboards because I like putting as little force as possible. Apple keyboard master race... woo

But they are definitely not for everyone, my friends who have tried it make so many typos because their hands are big.

Also ignore Geminom he is always turbomad.

Well the red switches, like he got, don't require much force at all to depress.

@acanofcoke, I've been looking at the K70 for a while after doing some research. I specifically want a blue LED keyboard. I guess blue is out this season because there aren't many. Things I've read about are the LEDs going out prematurely. Keep us updated so you can be a guinea pig for me :D

#46 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3638 posts) -

@quikdash6: will do.

Loving the K70 so far. It's a dream to type on and gaming on it is Awesomesauce. The usb socket is a real help too.

#47 Posted by GeminonTraveler (155 posts) -

I personally prefer chiclet to mechanical keyboards because I like putting as little force as possible. Apple keyboard master race... woo

But they are definitely not for everyone, my friends who have tried it make so many typos because their hands are big.

Also ignore Geminom he is always turbomad.

OH GAAAAAAWD IM SO MAD!!! CANT YOU TELL!?!?! CANT YOU!?!?! GAAAAAAAWWWD

you guys.... lol..... you assume if someone says anything on a forum they are mad. i couldnt give two shits.... i just enjoy pointing out when people are being retarded. happens a lot around here.

#48 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23457 posts) -

@geminontraveler said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I personally prefer chiclet to mechanical keyboards because I like putting as little force as possible. Apple keyboard master race... woo

But they are definitely not for everyone, my friends who have tried it make so many typos because their hands are big.

Also ignore Geminom he is always turbomad.

OH GAAAAAAWD IM SO MAD!!! CANT YOU TELL!?!?! CANT YOU!?!?! GAAAAAAAWWWD

you guys.... lol..... you assume if someone says anything on a forum they are mad. i couldnt give two shits.... i just enjoy pointing out when people are being retarded. happens a lot around here.

This kid is so mad he is going to explode

To quik, I have a cherry mx red rosewill keyboard, requires too much force for me personally. I really like how chiclets activate instantly, and I type faster on them consistently on 10fastfingers

#49 Posted by quikdash6 (413 posts) -

@quikdash6: will do.

Loving the K70 so far. It's a dream to type on and gaming on it is Awesomesauce. The usb socket is a real help too.

Well, I finally bit the bullet and got the Corsair K70 with brown switches. I'm loving it.It was very different at first coming from a Logitech MK700. I had gotten used to it, but EVERYONE who used it said it was horrible to actually type on. Coming from that though, I'm glad I didn't get the blue switches. This is definitely much louder than the old one. Typing and gaming are much better now though and build quality is superb. I would recommend the K70 to anyone.

#50 Posted by IvanElk (3798 posts) -

@acanofcoke said:

@quikdash6: will do.

Loving the K70 so far. It's a dream to type on and gaming on it is Awesomesauce. The usb socket is a real help too.

Well, I finally bit the bullet and got the Corsair K70 with brown switches. I'm loving it.It was very different at first coming from a Logitech MK700. I had gotten used to it, but EVERYONE who used it said it was horrible to actually type on. Coming from that though, I'm glad I didn't get the blue switches. This is definitely much louder than the old one. Typing and gaming are much better now though and build quality is superb. I would recommend the K70 to anyone.

Same keyboard I have, it has held up well and I have had no issues with lights going out on the keys. I do want to say while it is loud, it isn't incredibly loud when compared to other mechanicals (it is no more or less than the next one), but typing on brown switches takes some getting used to when compared to blues ( you really have to "feel" the actuation points on these)