This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for jacquelineferre
jacquelineferre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 jacquelineferre
Member since 2013 • 116 Posts

For $530 you can build a PC with these specs:

ComponentProductPrice
GPUNVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti$149.99
ChassisSilverStone Sugo Series SG05B Mini ITX Case$79.99
CPUIntel Core i3-3240 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor$119.99
MotherboardASRock H61MV-ITX LGA 1155$49.99
RAMKingston HyperX XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 KHX16C9B1RK2/8X$69.99
Hard DriveWestern Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB, 7200 RPM, 64MB Cache, SATA 6.0Gb/s, 3.5" HDD$59.99
Total Price$529.94

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/geforce-gtx-750-ti-mini-itx-pc-build-guide

I'm considering to build a PC with these components, anyone has a suggestion for a PC at the same price range? It doesn't necessarily needs to be an ITX.

mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mattamomo
Member since 2010 • 929 Posts

If you go Micro ATX you can get an AMD FX 6300 and have a far better performing PC at the same price, but there are little or no Micro ITX cases for AM3+ that i have seen.

2 core processors really wont do well in todays games.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Weac enjoy, won't be next gen gaming in there but it's a nice gaming rig for older titles

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Unless it has to be a small case you could save a lot by changing it to a normal size case (e.g. corsair 200r). I'd also be tempted by a hex-core FX since they're cheap these days and I expect new games to thread better due to 8 core consoles. You've also not included a power supply or operating system.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts
@PredatorRules said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Weac enjoy, won't be next gen gaming in there but it's a nice gaming rig for older titles

Why would you say that? FX6300 is much stronger then console cpu's and better option then an i3, then a GTX 750ti is much stronger then xbox 1 gpu and that GT 750ti has the ability to be overclocked to the point where its just as fast as PS4 gpu. It will be on par with the new consoles abilities in multiplat games so it will be next gen gaming.

mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mattamomo

@04dcarraher:

with medium settings and a FX6300 the GTX 750Ti only gets 30fps at 1080p on metro, not bad, but not next gen. Everyone seems to forget console optimization allows for better gameplay with the same hardware.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 04dcarraher

@mattamomo said:

@04dcarraher:

with medium settings and a FX6300 the GTX 750Ti only gets 30fps at 1080p on metro, not bad, but not next gen. Everyone seems to forget console optimization allows for better gameplay with the same hardware.

Medium settings? I call BS.

"We tested at the highest details with PhysX turned off." -techpowerup

Metro last light on highest settings 750ti gets 31 fps average at 1080p, that's hell of lot more then the Xbox 1 can do. also at 900p 750ti gets 40 fps average. Console optimization is a myth its not magic, optimization includes downgrading aspects from resolutions, detail, objects etc hence people can do that with changing the settings to fit the hardware. Also these consoles are x86 based with poor performance cpu's with low to mid ranged gpus. With OS's and features that eat 3-3.5gb of their memory.

The GTX 750ti is a gpu that is a entry gaming gpu that provides performance greater then the Xbox 1 and almost reaching once overclocked the PS4. Even with Crysis 3 at 900p with 4xAA a GTX 750ti gets 31 fps average. Then with BF4 ultra settings 2x MSAA at 1080 the 750ti gets 36 average fps. This shows that the card using higher resolution and settings is "next gen ready" comparing with the new consoles.

mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mattamomo

@04dcarraher said:

@mattamomo said:

@04dcarraher:

Metro last light on highest settings 750ti gets 31 fps average at 1080p, that's hell of lot more then the Xbox 1 can do. also at 900p 750ti gets 40 fps average. Console optimization is a myth its not magic, optimization includes downgrading aspects from resolutions, detail, objects etc hence people can do that with changing the settings to fit the hardware. Also these consoles are x86 based with poor performance cpu's with low to mid ranged gpus. With OS's and features that eat 3-3.5gb of their memory. the GTX 750ti is a gpu that is a entry gaming gpu that provides performance greater then the Xbox 1 and nearly matches the PS4.

What CPU is this running on?

you cant compare the results of a high end enthusiast test bench to a bottom of the line pc

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@04dcarraher said:
@PredatorRules said:

Why would you say that? FX6300 is much stronger then console cpu's and better option then an i3, then a GTX 750ti is much stronger then xbox 1 gpu and that GT 750ti has the ability to be overclocked to the point where its just as fast as PS4 gpu. It will be on par with the new consoles abilities in multiplat games so it will be next gen gaming.

You do know that devs all these years been optimazing games for their consoles, that's why games ran so good on such crappy last gen consoles.

Also, if so we've been buying low end GPUs all these years.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By 04dcarraher

@mattamomo said:

@04dcarraher said:

@mattamomo said:

@04dcarraher:

Metro last light on highest settings 750ti gets 31 fps average at 1080p, that's hell of lot more then the Xbox 1 can do. also at 900p 750ti gets 40 fps average. Console optimization is a myth its not magic, optimization includes downgrading aspects from resolutions, detail, objects etc hence people can do that with changing the settings to fit the hardware. Also these consoles are x86 based with poor performance cpu's with low to mid ranged gpus. With OS's and features that eat 3-3.5gb of their memory. the GTX 750ti is a gpu that is a entry gaming gpu that provides performance greater then the Xbox 1 and nearly matches the PS4.

What CPU is this running on?

you cant compare the results of a high end enthusiast test bench to a bottom of the line pc

Metro LL can use more then 4 threads hence the FX6300 performs nearly on par with intel i5's even with a Titan

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/670/bench/CPU_01.png

if you missed it highest settings no Physx

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 04dcarraher

@PredatorRules said:

@04dcarraher said:
@PredatorRules said:

You do know that devs all these years been optimazing games for their consoles, that's why games ran so good on such crappy last gen consoles.

Also, if so we've been buying low end GPUs all these years.

Do you understand that these devs now have to code for 6 threads on these new consoles to get by now? which means these multiplats will support 4+ threads from the get go. These console jaguar 8 core cpu's are weak being on par with the old Athlon X2's clock per clock. and they only have six cores for the games. Many games last gen until around 2009 only use two threads because pc cpu's were leagues faster, and that also could and did in some cases limited the ability for the cpu to feed the gpu. Since 2009 there has only been only a few poorly coded multiplat games and since the focus on multiplat games that included direct x 11 4+threaded games have been the norm.

There are plenty of examples of systems using old gpu's like ATI 1950pro performing on par with 360 with Crysis 2 or seeing geforce 8600GTS performing better then PS3/360 with Resident Evil 5 . Its only the lazy developers that produced poor multiplat games and over the years there has only been some, vast majority have been done good.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GeryGo  Moderator

@04dcarraher said:

. Its only the lazy developers that produced poor multiplat games and over the years there has only been some, vast majority have been done good.

Well that's one reason getting better GPU; Other good reason is major graphic improvement games such as Doom3, Oblivion, Crysis - back at those days I rememeber everyone flipped by the spec requirements to run those games at max graphics.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

I feel like there's an insecurity among the PC Gamers, especially on this forum, to want to prove the cost efficiency of PC gaming vs. consoles since a common argument against PC gaming for consoles is the reduced cost, don't be the sheep and fall into it.

Pc gaming is great. It's also more expensive. That's just the way it is. Upgrade that video card to a 760 and upgrade that processor to at least an i7. It may not matter but Kensington is just kind of a cheap brand of RAM to me.

Console gamers will point out that you paid more, who cares. PC gaming is great, it's also more expensive.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@dbtbandit67 said:

upgrade that processor to at least an i7.

You've just blewed your entire statement

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 04dcarraher

@PredatorRules said:

@04dcarraher said:

. Its only the lazy developers that produced poor multiplat games and over the years there has only been some, vast majority have been done good.

Well that's one reason getting better GPU; Other good reason is major graphic improvement games such as Doom3, Oblivion, Crysis - back at those days I rememeber everyone flipped by the spec requirements to run those games at max graphics.

Its not always the gpu thats the culprit cpu allocation can also be the problem with the coding. But getting a stronger gpu for games has always been about higher settings and performance not really because of bad multiplats. I ran a 8800GT from 2007 and added another one in 2008(couldnt pass it up for $100) that gpu setup lasted all the way into 2011 until the Witcher 2 where the 512mb buffer wasn't enough. While I did an upgrade to a 560, one of my 8800's continued to out class the HD twins all multiplat games at 1280x1024 in the spare gaming pc.

Its nice to see games that raise the bar in quality. Doom 3 was at that crossover time where the gpu standards of direct x 9 and opengl equivalent were being laid down. Oblivion wasnt so much a game changer, it was a Bethesda game. Once people started to get gpu's that were unified shader based Oblivion wasnt an issue. The game was designed for the 360 which was unified shader based. Crysis was a whole new ballgame making use of dual core cpu's requiring 1gb of memory and needing Geforce 8800's to play on high settings.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GeryGo  Moderator

@04dcarraher said:

@PredatorRules said:

@04dcarraher said:

Its not always the gpu thats the culprit cpu allocation can also be the problem with the coding. But getting a stronger gpu for games has always been about higher settings and performance not really because of bad multiplats. I ran a 8800GT from 2007 and added another one in 2008(couldnt pass it up for $100) that gpu setup lasted all the way into 2011 until the Witcher 2 where the 512mb buffer wasn't enough. While I did an upgrade to a 560, one of my 8800's continued to out class the HD twins all multiplat games at 1280x1024 in the spare gaming pc.

Its nice to see games that raise the bar in quality. Doom 3 was at that crossover time where the gpu standards of direct x 9 and opengl equivalent were being laid down. Oblivion wasnt so much a game changer, it was a Bethesda game. Once people started to get gpu's that were unified shader based Oblivion wasnt an issue. The game was designed for the 360 which was unified shader based. Crysis was a whole new ballgame making use of dual core cpu's requiring 1gb of memory and needing Geforce 8800's to play on high settings.

Crappy ports also do tend to run better on higher end rigs due to bad optimization and more physical power.

Avatar image for jacquelineferre
jacquelineferre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 jacquelineferre
Member since 2013 • 116 Posts

@kraken2109: The case already has a psu