This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rigggsss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rigggsss
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Looking to build a new gaming PC in the near future and wanted to get some input on cases. The last PC I built using a Cooler Master HAF 932 AMD Limited Edition. I loved the case and it had multiple fans. However, that also caused an issue because the fans were extremely loud, especially when their speed increased.

So, my question is..........what cases do you all recommend for a new build. I prefer a full tower. A cool look is a bonus although having multiple colors or lights don't really matter that much to me. I just want a nice case with quality air flow that will NOT be loud.

Thanks.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@rigggsss said:

Looking to build a new gaming PC in the near future and wanted to get some input on cases. The last PC I built using a Cooler Master HAF 932 AMD Limited Edition. I loved the case and it had multiple fans. However, that also caused an issue because the fans were extremely loud, especially when their speed increased.

So, my question is..........what cases do you all recommend for a new build. I prefer a full tower. A cool look is a bonus although having multiple colors or lights don't really matter that much to me. I just want a nice case with quality air flow that will NOT be loud.

Thanks.

You prefer a full tower because you're going to put inside a custom water loop or 3-4 GPUs?

Rigggsss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rigggsss

@PredatorRules:

Neither really. I just liked the look when I built my first PC years ago. It doesn't have to be a full tower. Having a cool and quiet running machine is most important.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@rigggsss said:

@PredatorRules:

Neither really. I just liked the look when I built my first PC years ago. It doesn't have to be a full tower. Having a cool and quiet running machine is most important.

Okay then, again IMO wasting money and space isn't for my liking so I'm not going to suggest full tower.

great mid towers:

• Corsair R series (200R, 300R, 400R ,500R), Corsair RED series; Corsair 450D and Corsair 600T - really premium stuff.
  • NZXT 410, NZXT 210 Source
  • Zalman Z11, Z3, Z9 (plus editions)

great compact / micro/ itx cases:

• Corsair 380T, 250D
  • Bitfenix Prodigy
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

PredatorRules recommended me the Corsair 450D which I installed recently, and it's a bitchin' case. It's beautiful, quiet, incredibly easy to dust, and very convenient to build with. I doubt it's the best but I'd recommend taking a good look at it before passing.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Fractal Design are supposed to make quiet cases

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I own the Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 case. Its a bit old so it may be hard to find, but i love its interior and exterior design.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

PredatorRules recommended me the Corsair 450D which I installed recently, and it's a bitchin' case. It's beautiful, quiet, incredibly easy to dust, and very convenient to build with. I doubt it's the best but I'd recommend taking a good look at it before passing.

I want its big brother 750D... But my current 550D case is alright so I got no excuse to change it. Perhaps when I do a mobo/CPU/RAM upgrade. But by that time there might be another case I want more.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

While I know full tower cases aren't everyone's cup of tea, I prefer them over mid towers myself. But that's just me. I went with a Corsair 760T and think it's the best case I've ever owned. It's got enough room for just about everything you could ever want to put into your tower. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, but I just took a quick shot in a half lit room. But like many others have mentioned here, can't go wrong with just about anything mid tower from Corsair. My last case before this one, a 500R was a fantastic case. It had cable management room for days which helps with airflow. The only minus (in my book) was that I wish it had a windowed side panel. Hence why I went with the 760T. But still, that was a great case and one that I'd also recommend.

Rigggsss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rigggsss

Thanks for all the input.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

You might like NZXT towers but if you don't there's always Corsair.

NZXT Phantom

NZXT Phantom 530

Corsair 750D

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@rigggsss said:

@PredatorRules:

If cool and quiet case is most important.. I would recommend you look at the midtower cases such as the Fractal R5 or the NZXT 440.. Both have great cooling options and are designed specifically to dampen noise..

xCaZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xCaZx
Member since 2015 • 82 Posts

To each their own but I have used both mid and full towers and my preference is a full size tower.

I prefer full towers for the following reasons:

1. They are easier to work with, in my opinion. (meaning installing hardware).

2. They can accommodate GPU's that some Mid Size towers will not...as an example my R9 280X is quite long and will not fit in all cases.

3. In my experience, they cool more efficiently. (I am not saying this is the case with every case, just my experience).

That said I wouldn't spend way more money on a full size case over a mid sized, but if the prices were not grossly different I would opt for the full size.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

@rigggsss: I have the NZXT Phantom. Only spent like $100 on it. Really nice design. Can set individual fan speeds on top. Lights on top. Air is really good especially if you add more fans. Fans seem pretty quiet. It's full tower with a lot of room.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59d151f079814

@xcazx said:

To each their own but I have used both mid and full towers and my preference is a full size tower.

Both cases I mentioned are extremely customizable and easy to work with.. Just watch some reviews..

2. They can accommodate GPU's that some Mid Size towers will not...as an example my R9 280X is quite long and will not fit in all cases.

The NZXT 440 and Fractal R5 can fit the largest video cards in the industry.. Including SLI set ups.. The h440 with a cage removed can support over a 400mm length video card..

3. In my experience, they cool more efficiently. (I am not saying this is the case with every case, just my experience).

That said I wouldn't spend way more money on a full size case over a mid sized, but if the prices were not grossly different I would opt for the full size.

Like I said you wanted cases that ran cooler and were quiet.. The NZXT 440 and Fractal R5 are the leading cases in the industry for those things, you shouldn't discount them.. Both cases can support full custom water loops as well... These are some of the best enthusiast towers there are, especially for some one that wants to have a quiet case.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

Anyone know how thick a radiator can be in the top of the Corsair Obsidian 750D? I know it can be 360mm long if you are willing to sacrifice part of the top 5.25 bay, but I wonder how much room there is between the top of the mobo and up to the top of the case. Anyone know?

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4398 Posts

@XaosII said:

I own the Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 case. Its a bit old so it may be hard to find, but i love its interior and exterior design.

I've got the same tower right now. I find it a bit lacking in air intake, but it does look sleek and it was my main purchase point for it. I wish it had more room for cable management behind the motherboard - getting the panel back on for that side of the case is a pain in the ass if the cables sit up too high.

It can be quiet, if you have a fan controller or enough pwm fan connectors on the MB so you can control fan speed through speed-fan.

I just picked up a Fractal Design Arc XL and will be working on moving things to the new tower in the next month or two when I get enough freetime to clean everything out and re-apply TIM to the GPUs and CPU.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

I would not skimp on a case unless i absolutely hav e to. I would get a full tower case. I actually got the graphite 760 t a few days back because my old mid tower couldnt fit my 290x in xfire (i have the sapphire vapor x). Sure, it may be big, Occupy space and costs more but are you really loking to get a new case if you need to upgrade or rebuild? If you want to future proof get a full tower. Its a good investment that you can keep reusing for your future builds or upgrades.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59d151f079814

@verbalfilth said:

I would not skimp on a case unless i absolutely hav e to. I would get a full tower case. I actually got the graphite 760 t a few days back because my old mid tower couldnt fit my 290x in xfire (i have the sapphire vapor x). Sure, it may be big, Occupy space and costs more but are you really loking to get a new case if you need to upgrade or rebuild? If you want to future proof get a full tower. Its a good investment that you can keep reusing for your future builds or upgrades.

I don't think gpu length is something to worry about with any good tower now a days.. My Thermaltake V21 microatx case for instance can house upwards to a 13.7 inch length video card.. And that is a smaller cube case.. Basically any good mid tower case from NZXT (like the h440), Fractal design R5, etc etc are going to be basically house every graphics card out there.. Inless your going to have greater than 2 video cards in sli in set up I would say its a waste of space and money.. You can't even make a argument for full water cooling because all of these cases can house full water cooling set ups..

xCaZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xCaZx
Member since 2015 • 82 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

@xcazx said:

Both cases I mentioned are extremely customizable and easy to work with.. Just watch some reviews..

The NZXT 440 and Fractal R5 can fit the largest video cards in the industry.. Including SLI set ups.. The h440 with a cage removed can support over a 400mm length video card..

Like I said you wanted cases that ran cooler and were quiet.. The NZXT 440 and Fractal R5 are the leading cases in the industry for those things, you shouldn't discount them.. Both cases can support full custom water loops as well... These are some of the best enthusiast towers there are, especially for some one that wants to have a quiet case.

Its all good, I was simply pointing out my experience with mid and full size towers (which isn't extensive at all).

My preference just happens to lean towards full size towers, but I wouldn't necessarily pass up a good mid size tower.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#21  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

@XaosII said:

back in 2008 i built my old e8400 2 core wolfdale cpu with that case.

But I didn't like the way the side panels come off, the usey some cheap spring to lock them in place, but the side panels are so heavy that they sometimes come falling off if you move the case or put it on its side, so its a really bad design instead of using screws which i would have prefered to lock the side panels in place.

I liked it sound insulating material on its panels though... but then again the extra weight of that made the panels fall off more easily, its too bad they just didn't use screws to lock them in place.

So far, my last two PC builds i've used the Cooler Master HAF 932 (full tower). so far its probably my favourite case, i like its big fan on its side panel to help cool things. I had to cut some of the mesh metal at the top of the case to make my h110 dual radiator fans fit though.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11779 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

Fractal Design are supposed to make quiet cases

Yep, as well as the Nanoxia Deep Silence series. We went with 2 of the Deep Silence 1 cases. Ultra quiet, and great case features too. But they are not cheap.

Rigggsss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rigggsss

As of right now, I've decided to go with the R5. Still tweaking my setup, but that where I'm at so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Rigggsss/saved/3LvYcf

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

the case i really want to get on my next rebuild is the Corsair Air 540, but it's rather large

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

Go all out. Caselabs. Best cases in the business, if a little spendy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@lostrib said:

the case i really want to get on my next rebuild is the Corsair Air 540, but it's rather large

I looked at those cases for transferring my current build in (I had a aging Storm Scout 1 tower).. Both the 540 and 240 were too rough around the edges and really need another iteration. The 540 appears to be too unnecessarily big and really could be maybe 10 to 20% smaller.. On top of having the lack of dust filters in some areas.. The 240 is too small leading..

The 240 for instance really needs to have several things done to it.. First made a few inches wider (because a Asus/MSI 970 card are too wide to fit in the case and close the door).. This would have allowed to have a back end 120mm fan exhaust instead of the 2x 80mm's that no one is ever going to use.. It also needed to be 1 inch taller so microatx board set ups could use the bottom fan ports..

Ultimately I went with the Thermaltake V21 to put my current microatx build in..