Can't find any servers on Counter-strike: Source.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TSNAKE617 (5494 posts) -

I just got Counter-Strike: Source and I can't find any servers. I'm new to PC gaming, so forgive me if there's an easy solution.

#2 Posted by hoola (6422 posts) -

First make sure that you are on the Server list and not the History or Friends list (they are tabs at the top). Second, hit refresh a couple of times. Beyond that I don't know what to tell you.

#3 Posted by deathshand707 (955 posts) -

Make sure your firewall does not block css.

#4 Posted by ferrari2001 (17073 posts) -

deathshand707
This could be your problem. I can assure you that there are thousands upon thousands of servers. If your computer is working correctly you should find some. Also post a screen shot if you still can't get it to work.
#5 Posted by TSNAKE617 (5494 posts) -

[QUOTE="deathshand707"]

ferrari2001

This could be your problem. I can assure you that there are thousands upon thousands of servers. If your computer is working correctly you should find some. Also post a screen shot if you still can't get it to work.

Could AVG or Spybot: S&D cause a problem? I use those and Zone Alarm. Zone Alarm asked me to give it permission to access the Internet and I allowed it.

#6 Posted by ferrari2001 (17073 posts) -

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="deathshand707"]

TSNAKE617

Could AVG or Spybot: S&D cause a problem? I use those and Zone Alarm. Zone Alarm asked me to give it permission to access the Internet and I allowed it.

Check AVG but also check windows firewall and make sure it isn't blocking the program. Also like an above user said make sure you have selected the correct tab and that all your advanced search columns are blank.

#7 Posted by middle-earth88 (1262 posts) -

AVG used to cause a problem where it would prevent Crysis 1 from starting. I would pin that down as the problem.

#8 Posted by TSNAKE617 (5494 posts) -

I'm gonna try turning off a few AVG settings tomorrow. It's getting a little late here. Thanks for the help so far.

#9 Posted by Grimlim (837 posts) -

Figured i wont start a new topic, so my problem is that, servers show up and say Refreshing and then it goes blank black. The simplified list is blank and the nonsimplified list shows servers not responding. It happens in tf2 as well but only occasionally, can't seem to get CS:S to work.

#10 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

I'm getting the exact same problem with Team Fortress 2 today, I didn't know it was the firewall.

#11 Posted by TSNAKE617 (5494 posts) -

I was just able to play the multiplayer on Teraria, so I think the problem has to be Counter-Strike related. Does anyone know a way to find a server without using the server browser?

#12 Posted by deathshand707 (955 posts) -

I was just able to play the multiplayer on Teraria, so I think the problem has to be Counter-Strike related. Does anyone know a way to find a server without using the server browser?

TSNAKE617

in console type

connect *server ip*

no asteriks

Enable dev console through the option in advanced.

#13 Posted by TSNAKE617 (5494 posts) -

[QUOTE="TSNAKE617"]

deathshand707

in console type

connect *server ip*

no asteriks

Enable dev console through the option in advanced.

Thanks. I'll try that out tomorrow morning.

#14 Posted by RexHoles (271 posts) -

I can't get any CSS or DoD servers to refresh. My history shows active servers in both games, but i cannot get the actual internet list of servers. I'm not behind any firewall or AV os that isn't the issue. I'm not on a router, and I can play any other online games fine, just not these two. I reinstalled, checked cache, and still nothing. I've installed these games several times and this has never happened. Weirdness.