Can't copy file to FAT32 USB

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by October_Tide (5396 posts) -

I'm trying to copy over a zip file to my corsair usb. It's formatted to FAT32 and has about 7.51 gig of space. The zip file is around 5 gig. I heard that apparently fat32 can not handle files larger than 4gb (every time I try to copy it across it says that the file is too large). Is there a way around this problem? Do I have to format the drive to another type (NTFS, exFAT)? Or do I change the allocation unit size to 8192 bytes or 16/32/64kbs?

#2 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -

If you have extra space, you could try to rar or re-zip the zip file into multiple smaller parts. If there's a limit of 4GB try making 2 parts of 2.5GB each.

Edit: It would probably be less time-consuming to try formatting the USB drive to NTFS instead.

#3 Posted by October_Tide (5396 posts) -

If you have extra space, you could try to rar or re-zip the zip file into multiple smaller parts. If there's a limit of 4GB try making 2 parts of 2.5GB each.

Edit: It would probably be less time-consuming to try formatting the USB drive to NTFS instead.

Stinger78

Never thought of the first option lol... But yeah I changed it to NTFS and that seemed to fix it.

#4 Posted by soberoy (1 posts) -

I'm trying to copy over a zip file to my corsair usb. It's formatted to FAT32 and has about 7.51 gig of space. The zip file is around 5 gig. I heard that apparently fat32 can not handle files larger than 4gb (every time I try to copy it across it says that the file is too large). Is there a way around this problem? Do I have to format the drive to another type (NTFS, exFAT)? Or do I change the allocation unit size to 8192 bytes or 16/32/64kbs?

October_Tide
Have you checked the size of your drive? Also, you must consider the way you insert your pen drive because it adds additional factor which can caused problem if it is not well-inserted. If you still have problem on copying, I recommend you to use Long Path File. It will copy long path file and get rids away of any long path file errors. Good Day!
#5 Posted by darksusperia (6898 posts) -
max file size for FAT32 is 4GB-1byte. most usb sticks etc are FAT32 for maximum compatibility between devices and operating systems.
#6 Posted by MonsieurX (29213 posts) -
Necro'd