Cant boot after overclock attempt

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by KingWookie87 (46 posts) -

Hi everyone,

I tried overclocking my cpu to 4.0ghz. All I did was change the clock speed not the voltage or anything else. Now when I go to boot windows freezes and I get the BSOD. I tried changing it back but same thing happens. What can I do?

Specs

I5 3570K

ATI 6960

8Gb ram

#2 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -
If you have a high profile motherboard, then you may have a reset cmos button. Simply press that and it will reset your BIOS to default. If you don't, then you should have a cmos battery. Unplug everything first of course, and take out the battery and wait about 30secs to a min, reinsert the cmos battery and it should reset the bios to default factory. Power it up and you should be good to go.
#3 Posted by KingWookie87 (46 posts) -

I tried that but it still wont boot. Windows gives me the option to either boot normally which doesnt work or try startup repair which doesnt work either...

#4 Posted by KingWookie87 (46 posts) -

The MOBO i have is a z77-d3h btw

#5 Posted by jakes456 (1437 posts) -

how can you fail at overclocking in 2012? I didn't think this was possible.

mind = blown.

#6 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4133 posts) -

mind = blown.

jakes456
I also wonder how you can fail at life, but you somehow pulled it off.
#7 Posted by FelipeInside (25585 posts) -

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

mind = blown.

Toxic-Seahorse

For Toxic-Seahorse

#8 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="jakes456"]

mind = blown.

FelipeInside

For Toxic-Seahorse

Oh YEAH. Citizen Kane ftw.
#9 Posted by khanabyss (11 posts) -

Remove your cmos battery inside your computer, wait 15 minutes, your computer will be reset to default settings.

Edit: Yeah put the battery back after 15 min, lol

#10 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

If you don't know your way around hardware don't overclock, not too smart. I was overclocking back in the day when you had to change the jumpers on the motherboard, but back then you had to if you weren't rich; these days I just don't see the need to OC.

#11 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -
[QUOTE="jakes456"]

mind = blown.

Toxic-Seahorse

I agree with him, with all the resources available why on Earth would anyone attempt this without fully researching first, including what to do if you cannot boot. Guess I fail at life too :/
#12 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="jakes456"]

mind = blown.

vfibsux

I agree with him, with all the resources available why on Earth would anyone attempt this without fully researching first, including what to do if you cannot boot. Guess I fail at life too :/

You fail at life because you have too much common sense...seriously who overclocks a CPU that much thinking it's ok to not do anything except setting the multiplier higher or frequency? There's no need to destroy such a PC, it's powerful enough for anything out there.
#13 Posted by bonafidetk (3820 posts) -

If you don't know your way around hardware don't overclock, not too smart. I was overclocking back in the day when you had to change the jumpers on the motherboard, but back then you had to if you weren't rich; these days I just don't see the need to OC.

vfibsux
If you have average hardware then overclocking is extremely useful. You can get a lot more life out of your gaming PC. I wouldnt bother to overclock a top of the line PC though.
#14 Posted by KingWookie87 (46 posts) -

I appreciate the tips I will not attempt to overclock again. It bever booted anyway when I did overclock so I cant see how any damage would be done. I left the battery out overnight and I will put it in when I get back from work today. Though I already tried this

#15 Posted by Mazoch (2418 posts) -

Hi everyone,

I tried overclocking my cpu to 4.0ghz. All I did was change the clock speed not the voltage or anything else. Now when I go to boot windows freezes and I get the BSOD. I tried changing it back but same thing happens. What can I do?

Specs

I5 3570K

ATI 6960

8Gb ram

KingWookie87

From what you are saying I don't think you damaged your CPU. If you had, the machine would most likely fail at post rather than once it starts loading windows. There's a good chance that it might be a simple issue of re-checking your BIOS settings, you did after all reset all the settings after removing the battery.

My suggestion would be to go into your BIOS and make sure that your drives are set up correctly, that it's set to boot off the correct drives and so on. Another thing to try would be to try to boot off a disk or DVD with boot sectors (if you have one available).

#16 Posted by KingWookie87 (46 posts) -

Well I just put the battery back in but now it will only turn on for about 10 seconds before it shuts down and restarts and keeps repeating this. I cant do anything. Does the battery have to be in for a little while first?

#17 Posted by Macutchi (4096 posts) -

Hi everyone,

Specs

I5 3570K

ATI 6960

8Gb ram

KingWookie87

zUpVS.jpg

#18 Posted by KingWookie87 (46 posts) -

I really need help guys, i cant access the bios or anything...

#19 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4133 posts) -
[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] I also wonder how you can fail at life, but you somehow pulled it off.

You fail at life because you have too much common sense...seriously who overclocks a CPU that much thinking it's ok to not do anything except setting the multiplier higher or frequency? There's no need to destroy such a PC, it's powerful enough for anything out there.

My comment was more about how jakes is a huge troll. Not to mention saying "how can you do that?" doesn't help him one damn bit.
#20 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -
Try the hardware forum or rather a more specialized site in general. Or Google it. "pc restarts indefinitely after overclocking" or something. Like you should have done before you attempted messing with your pc ;) You'll get answers faster that way. Google -> Specialized forum --------------------------> videogames forum
#21 Posted by Elitemajik (333 posts) -
I have that same board and had the same issue when i put new RAM in, it tried to run the new RAM at the same speed the old one was and it just kept rebooting. Theres a clear CMOS button on that mobo. press that and see if that fixes it
#22 Posted by KingWookie87 (46 posts) -

Ok so the restarting problem was loose ram, however I am back to the origional problem...ugh

#23 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

Ok so the restarting problem was loose ram, however I am back to the origional problem...ugh

KingWookie87

How did you overclock the CPU? Did you build up the OC with small increments? Or did you just punch in the desired (final) multiplier and hit save? I know that some people still go around hardware forums looking for OC settings from other users and they literally "copy and paste" it into their settings. I'm not saying you did, but I'd like to get an idea of how you OC'ed your board.

Hopefully, you didn't overvolt it and damage the goods. It's rare but it can definitely happen. You should test everything out and see what is the culprit. It could be anything, really.

1)Try booting up with one stick of ram. THen switch it to the other stick, and boot it up once more.

2)Try booting up without harddrive(s)

#24 Posted by KingWookie87 (46 posts) -

I didnt mess with the voltage at all. I only increased the clock frequency to 4.0Ghz from 3.4. I think I'm just going to format my hdd and reinstall windows at this point. The computer is only for gaming so its not a huge deal I guess. On a side note, does steam back up saved game files? I was almost done LA Noire and I really dont wanna start all over

#25 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

I didnt mess with the voltage at all. I only increased the clock frequency to 4.0Ghz from 3.4. I think I'm just going to format my hdd and reinstall windows at this point. The computer is only for gaming so its not a huge deal I guess. On a side note, does steam back up saved game files? I was almost done LA Noire and I really dont wanna start all over

KingWookie87
Only if the game has cloud storage, and you had to select cloud in your options menu.
#26 Posted by KingWookie87 (46 posts) -

Ok so I just reinstalled windows but it doesnt seem like its detecting my graphics card. I installed all the drivers that came on the utillity disk but I didnt see one for the graphics card.

#27 Posted by FelipeInside (25585 posts) -

Ok so I just reinstalled windows but it doesnt seem like its detecting my graphics card. I installed all the drivers that came on the utillity disk but I didnt see one for the graphics card.

KingWookie87
Get the Graphics Card Drivers from the Official Site (NVIDIA or ATI), not the Disk.
#28 Posted by KingWookie87 (46 posts) -

Ok I have ATI, if I just download catalyst control center should I be ok?

#29 Posted by FelipeInside (25585 posts) -

KingWookie87
Look up the video card model and download driver + catalyst. Can't believe you went into overclocking when you don't know how to install a driver, lol.....
#30 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

KingWookie87

Look up your video card driver on this page.

#31 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
Did you overclock by changing the CPU multiplier or raising the fsb (bclk) speed?
#32 Posted by KingWookie87 (46 posts) -

Ok it looks like everything is working, im just installing all windows updates now to get that out of the way. Thank you so much for your help in my time of need lol. I think I will just stick to overclocking my gpu as that is much simplier.

#33 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

Ok it looks like everything is working, im just installing all windows updates now to get that out of the way. Thank you so much for your help in my time of need lol. I think I will just stick to overclocking my gpu as that is much simplier.

KingWookie87
All is good. Nice :) With your current setup, you don't need to overclock that CPU. It's already powerful at stock. Unless you want to be an OC-Enthusiast one day, perhaps you can revisit it again. I wouldn't let this traumatize your experience with overclocking. Cheers.