Cannot buy Steam games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FPS1337 (2515 posts) -

I'm trying to buy Bioshock, Bioshock 2, and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic on steam because of the sale today. Whenever I try to use my credit card to buy the games this pops up.
"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."
I then wait a few minutes and try again and it still doesn't work. I need quick assistance so I can get the game before the sale ends. My old credit card did just expire and I am using a new one. Also I have tried rebooting my computer and tried a different credit card. Please help.

#2 Posted by ferret-gamer (17310 posts) -
you can try transferring some funds to a paypal account and buying through that.
#3 Posted by FPS1337 (2515 posts) -
Also I've tried using different comps, different accounts as gifts, different accounts on different comps, this is ridiculous!
#4 Posted by SLUSHiNaToR (1366 posts) -
Stupid question, but did you activate your credit card by calling the number on the card? Or try making a purchase somewhere else with it to confirm that its actually steam thats the problem and theres nothing wrong with your card.
#5 Posted by FPS1337 (2515 posts) -
Yeah I'm 100% sure because I just bought stuff with them at the store earlier this week
#6 Posted by guynamedbilly (12919 posts) -
Yeah I'm 100% sure because I just bought stuff with them at the store earlier this weekFPS1337
The credit card company may have put a hold on it because of "suspicious" charges. I'd call and check with them.
#7 Posted by DraugenCP (8469 posts) -

Are you trying to buy the games through the Steam client or the Steam site? Me, I can never seem to buy games directly through the client, but when I use the website it works just fine.

#8 Posted by FPS1337 (2515 posts) -

Are you trying to buy the games through the Steam client or the Steam site? Me, I can never seem to buy games directly through the client, but when I use the website it works just fine.

DraugenCP
Tried both doesn't work.
#9 Posted by FPS1337 (2515 posts) -
[QUOTE="FPS1337"]Yeah I'm 100% sure because I just bought stuff with them at the store earlier this weekguynamedbilly
The credit card company may have put a hold on it because of "suspicious" charges. I'd call and check with them.[/QUOT
[QUOTE="FPS1337"]Yeah I'm 100% sure because I just bought stuff with them at the store earlier this weekguynamedbilly
The credit card company may have put a hold on it because of "suspicious" charges. I'd call and check with them.

Both of my credit cards, I kinda doubt it because I contacted Steam support and they said it was because of the change in my IP address probably because I'm on a holiday but now it says, "Your purchase has not been completed. Your credit card information has been declined by your credit card company. Note that in some cases, your credit card company may put a 'hold' on funds in your account, but you will not be charged. After reviewing the information below, if you believe your card has been declined in error please try your purchase again." I can now get by to the very last part which is purchase and review and it does this, this is very annoying, I'll probably just double check my credit cards and contact Steam again.
#10 Posted by starwarsjunky (24714 posts) -
my guess is that steam blacklisted your card. which means you'll have to go through steam's HORRRRRRIBLE customer service
#11 Posted by Kh1ndjal (2408 posts) -
[QUOTE="FPS1337"]I contacted Steam support and they said it was because of the change in my IP address probably because I'm on a holiday but now it says, "Your purchase has not been completed. Your credit card information has been declined by your credit card company.

i think i know why this is happening. i was suffering from the exact same problem repeatedly, tried everything from changing pcs, to network connections. in the end i was telling steam my "home" location while being in another country and at the same time checking the box "i currently live in this country". i'm guessing steam checked my ip with the location i entered, and upon seeing an inconsistency, decided not to continue with the purchase. once i fixed it to my new location, everything went perfectly fine. hope this helps
#12 Posted by Gamer-Geek (338 posts) -

What you could do is buy Steamfunds using your credit card then use those steam funds to pay for those games.

#13 Posted by SLUSHiNaToR (1366 posts) -

What you could do is buy Steamfunds using your credit card then use those steam funds to pay for those games.

Gamer-Geek
how would buying steam funds be any different than buying an actual game? its still going through steam and if steam has an issue with his card then I would think he would get the same issue.