Can you still get into the Balder's Gate series?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chaay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Chaay
Member since 2007 • 320 Posts

I just found out that Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced edition exists. Can someone new to the series still pick it up and have fun with it? I know it's an iconic and revered RPG series, but it looks so aged and complicated because of it.

Thoughts? Worth a try still?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

If that bothers you, i'd recommend Dragon Age Ultimate Edition. I believe it's on sale right now. But yeah, if you are somewhat of an older PC gamer, that has "been around" I'm sure you can appreciate it. I still replay it here and there and it's still great. Or wait for the new Torment. But definitely check out Dragon Age Ultimate.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I personally wouldn't bother with the first Balders Gate, it was more of a novelty at the time. Balders Gate 2 is a lot better in terms of presentation and gameplay.

Chaay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chaay
Member since 2007 • 320 Posts

@Elann2008 said:

If that bothers you, i'd recommend Dragon Age Ultimate Edition...

I've played through the Dragon Age Series, but on console. Great series and great suggestion for people who've yet to play it, but I don't think I'm ready to replay it. Where's it on sale?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@Chaay said:

@Elann2008 said:

If that bothers you, i'd recommend Dragon Age Ultimate Edition...

I've played through the Dragon Age Series, but on console. Great series and great suggestion for people who've yet to play it, but I don't think I'm ready to replay it. Where's it on sale?

I do apologize. It was just on sale earlier in the day for nearly 2 days on steam. It's over now though.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Hell yea. It's one of the best RPGs on PC ever released. Could possibly be the very best.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

I recently just bought the Enhanced Edition of BG1 and it's been a bit rough to get into, that being said once you get use to it it's really fun and seems like it has a ton of depth.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23807 Posts

I would recommend Baldur's Gate 2. It really isnt that complicated, and there sure as hell is a lot less micromanagement than what DA:O has while still having more depth.

Just a few things to note,

THAC0=To Hit Armor Class 0. So THAC0 has to do with your accuracy.
The lower your armor class=The better
18:00 strength is actually 18:100 strength, that is to say. 18:00 is the best strength roll you can have for most races.
Multiplayer allows you to create a fully customized party, it is the most fun way to play :D

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I would skip these so-called "enhanced editions" and just buy the original games from GoG for less money.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

I enjoyed it when I got into it, but the AD&D rules are a little dated in a game, imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

@Chaay said:

I just found out that Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced edition exists. Can someone new to the series still pick it up and have fun with it? I know it's an iconic and revered RPG series, but it looks so aged and complicated because of it.

Thoughts? Worth a try still?

Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition is a pile of shit and you should avoid it. All it did was add bugs (I'm completely serious here), some really bad new content (compared to the very high standards of the original), and it is over twice the price of the GOG version. Go over to GOG right now and get Baldur's Gate 2 complete for $10 and then follow this list. Its really not that hard to get going, and you get so much more possible content through additional mods + the game works beautifully since GOG actually fixed the game of bugs and didn't break it more.

Onto the game itself, it isn't a difficult game if you go into it with the right mindset. D&D games expect you to read the manual, or at least look up the very basics. Once you have those basics down its just a matter of trying different things and seeing what works for you, like I prefer rolling a Sorcerer and being a mobile artillery platform. My advice for a first run through the game is to go with the default party (Minsc + Jaheira), and only add good or neutral aligned characters so that the party members don't kill each other (it only happens between a couple of them, but yeah its a thing). Baldur's Gate 2 will let you get away with pretty much any build on normal, and if that is too difficult, just bump it down and enjoy the greatest game ever made.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

https://eternity.obsidian.net/

Do out next year from the makers of baldurs gate series

frnk55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 frnk55
Member since 2010 • 260 Posts

@Gladestone1 said:

https://eternity.obsidian.net/

Do out next year from the makers of baldurs gate series

Oh my..That is great!!

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Baldur's Gate 2 is probably my favorite cRPG of all time.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I could play Diablo 2 LoD anytime with a friend.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

You are actually better starting with the first title since they are linked. Regarding "is it still fun?" absolutely. In many regards, RPG's have taken some steps backwards in comparison. Including Dragon Age.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Just pick it up and play it. Don't let the aged graphics fool you. Its a damn gold mine of fun

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Baldur's Gate 2's town... Man. There is no better town in any other WRPG. That music. That background noise (town criers, thieves, drunkards etc...), the size etc etc.

I tend to say this a lot but it puts today's WRPG (Mass Effect... Dragon Age... Whaevah) to shame.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@xWoW_Rougex said:

I tend to say this a lot but it puts today's WRPG (Mass Effect... Dragon Age... Whaevah) to shame.

And there's many other old school rpgs that do the same.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23807 Posts

This thread made me re-install BG1. Time to go through the whole saga. With Tuto, as others suggested, dont get the enhanced edition, just get the normal on gog which comes with no drm and less errors (does the enhanced editions even support mods?).

@bussinrounds: Many do.

I consider this the Dark Age of WRPGs. It has gone so bad to the point I greatly find myself prefering the jRPG offerings over the modern excuses for WRPGs. Though we may hit something of a resurgence real soon if everything goes as I hope it will.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Can anyone else comment on BG2: Ehanced Edition? Is it really more buggy and problematic? Ive been planning to get it if it went on sale during these Holiday sales. Ive never played a BG or Icewindale or similar game so I was hoping to get BG2 as a nice step. I could get the Anthology off GamersGate for $5 which is a good deal but lol I also dont know how much Id have to do to bring it up speed so it runs on Windows 8 (as Id be running it on my laptop).

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts

I think the classic ones are better anyways because of mods.