Can you recommend a good pc headset

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kieren- (8 posts) -

I am looking for headset that has good sound quality but also very reliable and wont break easy thanks.

#2 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23809 posts) -

I don't have a recommendation, but avoid the razer krakens. I read a lot of people enjoying the sound quality. They sound bad and are made of cheap plastic, and the cushions aren't big enough, my ears touched inside on the plastic of the headphones.

Most $20 earbuds like the skullcandies sound better, those even have a microphone too.

#3 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6218 posts) -

@Kieren-:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZS5ATM/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one I use, it's very good, nice and loud and has a mic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CJTR82/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have this one for my laptop, also nice and loud but no mic.

#4 Posted by kraken2109 (13198 posts) -

Budget?

Also look at stereo headphones over 'gaming' headsets, you get much better quality for a lower price. A £5 separate mic will sound better than most headset mics as well.

#5 Posted by enzyme36 (1632 posts) -

Senheisser HD 555 is what I use.... just perfect headphones for home theater and gaming. I dont believe they make the 555 anymore, but I think they replaced it with the Senheisser HD 558.

@kraken2109 Helped me out big time when I was looking to make a purchase. The man knows his audio. thanks... almost 2 years later and never regretted the buy

#6 Posted by kraken2109 (13198 posts) -

@enzyme36 said:

Senheisser HD 555 is what I use.... just perfect headphones for home theater and gaming. I dont believe they make the 555 anymore, but I think they replaced it with the Senheisser HD 558.

@kraken2109 Helped me out big time when I was looking to make a purchase. The man knows his audio. thanks... almost 2 years later and never regretted the buy

Did I? lol I can't remember 2 years ago and I doubt I knew much back then. I still don't consider myself knowledgeable really, I've just read a lot of people's opinions. I will freely admit I have little first hand experience compared with many who have sampled tens or even hundreds of good headphones.

#7 Posted by enzyme36 (1632 posts) -

@kraken2109: For real... I believe you had the black octopus on your sig at the old site... I was looking at Tritton Ax Pros and you brought to my attention that stereo headphones can emulate surround just as good as the 5.1 headsets... never looked back since.

At least I thought that was you. :P

#8 Posted by kraken2109 (13198 posts) -

Yeah I'm sure it could have been. I'm just trying to downplay your compliments!

#9 Posted by demi0227_basic (1074 posts) -

Sennheiser, Audio Tehnica, Beyer Dynamics.

If you are looking at anything else, you are doing it wrong.

#10 Posted by kraken2109 (13198 posts) -

@demi0227_basic said:

Sennheiser, Audio Tehnica, Beyer Dynamics.

If you are looking at anything else, you are doing it wrong.

Not true

#11 Posted by PredatorRules (8715 posts) -

Razer Carcharias

But honestly get yourself a cheap microphone seperated and good headphones with that amount of money; I'd go with AudioTechnica TAD400 or WS55 - depends on how large do you want the earcups of the headphones to be.

#12 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

No, I cannot recommend any headsets but I could recommend some great headphones in the $100-150 that will blow those "gaming headsets" out of the water. And there plenty of alternative great ways to get a microphone clip or attachments that are inexpensive and of good quality. Unless you're interest in headphones then I don't think I could convince you otherwise.. but enjoy the low quality headsets that have poor quality sound.

#13 Posted by kraken2109 (13198 posts) -

@PredatorRules: Carcharias is fairly good in terms of gaming headsets, but the cable broke pretty easily on the one I had (at the volume control). My HD429s have been through a lot more without breaking. Razer products often have poor build quality.

#14 Edited by lostrib (41839 posts) -

depends what you need them for.

But perhaps ATH-700+clip on mic

#15 Posted by hotstonez (299 posts) -

Get a comfy pair of headphones/earbuds and a Zalman clip on mic - Click me! I'm a link. The combo by lostrib above is well tried and tested though and one friend of mine uses his mic with a 20 year old pair of Koss Porta Pro's and loves the combo..

In the end it's $10 vs $50 and upwards for a headset.

#16 Edited by demi0227_basic (1074 posts) -

Yup...pretty much true. Unless you are spending a LOT of money ($1k or more) those are your' best bets.

If it's Turtle Beach, Corsair, etc, don't do it. I can't stress this enough. Don't listen to bad advice op.

#17 Posted by PredatorRules (8715 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

@PredatorRules: Carcharias is fairly good in terms of gaming headsets, but the cable broke pretty easily on the one I had (at the volume control). My HD429s have been through a lot more without breaking. Razer products often have poor build quality.

I currently own Megalodon which is the same quality of the Carcharias but it also have extended sound card that makes virtual 7.1 - which is IMO the worst thing ever but I do enjoy the good quality of the sound and it's fairly comfortable in long sessions.

#18 Posted by 666TRYME666 (45 posts) -

Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound -- $105 easily best for its price.

#19 Edited by kraken2109 (13198 posts) -

@666TRYME666: God no, $100 will get you a pair of open back sennheiser HD518s.

Good read for people in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added

#20 Posted by alan_carter (1404 posts) -

I vote for Sennheisers HD 555


Few years ago i got a pair of Roccat Kave 5.1. They sound cool, specially in movies, but audio quality is not different from the "Non-Gaming" Sennheisers i have and these gaming headsets are really bulky, these ones made my neck ache.

They're accumulating dust in my house now

#21 Posted by kraken2109 (13198 posts) -

@alan_carter said:

I vote for Sennheisers HD 555

Few years ago i got a pair of Roccat Kave 5.1. They sound cool, specially in movies, but audio quality is not different from the "Non-Gaming" Sennheisers i have and these gaming headsets are really bulky, these ones made my neck ache.

They're accumulating dust in my house now

They haven't made the 555 in years now, the 558 is the replacement. It's good but more expensive than the 555 was.

#22 Posted by Geminon (1177 posts) -

@Kieren-:

i like my logitech G35s. they provide really good surround sound for a headset.

#23 Posted by Geminon (1177 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

@666TRYME666: God no, $100 will get you a pair of open back sennheiser HD518s.

Good read for people in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added

what good does that do him if he needs a mic? none... right.

logitech G headsets.... just get one. you wont regret it. easy to use, good mic, good audio, surround sound. they arent that expensive ffs. you can usually find them around 75 dollars at christmas.

#24 Posted by kraken2109 (13198 posts) -

@Geminon: Buy a separate mic, it's not hard. Logitech headsets aren't terrible but you can do better for the money. Closed back means a narrow soundstage. Open back cans will be much better for competitive gaming.

#26 Edited by marcthpro (7927 posts) -

Yeah get a Good pair off headphone on sales and if you want (5,1) feeling just get a soundcard like Creative Soundblaster Z or Cheaper alternative like Asus DG 5.1 for Dolby digital headphone Surround which upscale 2.1 to 5.1 : for mic pick something like Zalman Clip mic for 7-10$ it work great as long you don't have too much ambient sound in background it doesn't have a build-in noise cancellation

#27 Posted by lostrib (41839 posts) -

Do you need this for "competitive gaming" to give positional audio cues? or do you just want something to easily communicate with teammates and friends.

If the former, then get some quality headphones and a clip on or standing mic. the ATH-700 series of headphones are known as great headphones for positional audio

If the later, then find a cheap, comfortable headset that fits your needs

#28 Edited by marcthpro (7927 posts) -

ATH-700 Got Ended like 2 year Ago but Ran out of Like New Stock (not used) Last yeat you have to find it used there Currently replaced by a different thing for price bracket ATH-50

#29 Posted by lostrib (41839 posts) -

@marcthpro said:

ATH-700 Got Ended like 2 year Ago but Ran out of Like New Stock (not used) Last yeat you have to find it used there Currently replaced by a different thing for price bracket ATH-50

didn't they release an update of the ATH-700?

#30 Edited by marcthpro (7927 posts) -

they just did huh ? i haven't check but i haven't heard of a update of it and if they did it would probably look different