Can someone help with this? (Steam issues)

#1 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

Hey everyone my sister recently downloaded TF2 onto her laptop via Steam and for some reason whenever she tries to play it, a message saying that her CPU needs to support the SSL instruction set. Now I have the technical knowledge of a prehistoric walnut, so I'm at a loss as to what the flying hell that means. Her laptop is from 2011 and runs Windows 7 and runs other computer games that aren't from steam without a hitch. Does anybody know what that kind of error message could mean? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I was thinking about maybe just having her delete and download TF2 again. Does anyone think that'll help? Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by GTR12 (9070 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer:

To be completely honest, that's the best error message I have seen, game or programming related...

"The PC needs this to run [SSL in your case], and it doesn't have it, so the PC cant run the game"

Its not something you can get either, you either have it, or you don't. What make/model is her laptop anyway?

#3 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

@GTR12: Ah shit. I was hoping there was some way around it. It's an Acer from 2011... I forget the processor type. Thank you for your help though.

#4 Posted by Horgen (110016 posts) -

@GTR12: Ah shit. I was hoping there was some way around it. It's an Acer from 2011... I forget the processor type. Thank you for your help though.

It should have it.

I could play TF2 on my Acer laptop from 2009.

#5 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

@horgen: Damn... I'll try it again, thanks.

#6 Posted by kraken2109 (12978 posts) -

All modern CPUs have pretty much identical instruction sets, I've never seen an issue like this before.