Can my CPU run The Witcher 3 ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShockBolt117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ShockBolt117
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Hey guys, looking at The Witcher 3 specs, i was wondering if i will be able to run it with my actual setup, i have everything recommended, and my VGA is even better than the one they ask for (it's a GTX 970), except my CPU (i5 3330) which is inferior than the ones they afk for, i5 2500K (minimum) and a i7 3770 (recommended), do you guys think i will be able to run this game at approximately 1080p, High, 50 - 60fps ? Or i am asking too much ? Should i upgrade de CPU ? Or it's a waste of money.

obs.: I can run AC: Unity at 1080p, High, 35 - 45fps, and the game asks for pretty much the same specs as The Witcher's (slightly better VGA required), but since the game is very bad optmized, maybe i can get what i aim for in The Witcher ? (posted this as example, so you guys can know better my PC)

I know the game is not out yet, and it's pretty much impossible to give an accurate answer, all i'm asking is "theory".

Sorry for bad english and than you "

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Should be fine

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Dont be worried if you have a 1st gen i7 or 2nd gen i5, because, the fact is that TW3 requirements also suggest Phenom 2 X4 940 and FX 8350 for recommended, And thing is that AMD's cpu's dont even match up to what the intel examples are in the requirements. I think they were eye balling and used what they had on hand for testing. Chances are all you need to run the game good is any half way descent quad core cpu.

Also dont use AC Unity as a benchmark since its a poorly coded game. TW3 will be leagues ahead in that regard.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Ignore specs if you have any sort of modern quad core cpu or better which you do you are good

thefreakofk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thefreakofk
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

The game will definitely work above 50 FPS on Ultra with your GTX 970.... and the CPU, it won't be a problem either unless you have a Ram less than 8 GB!!

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@shockbolt117 said:

Hey guys, looking at The Witcher 3 specs, i was wondering if i will be able to run it with my actual setup, i have everything recommended, and my VGA is even better than the one they ask for (it's a GTX 970), except my CPU (i5 3330) which is inferior than the ones they afk for, i5 2500K (minimum) and a i7 3770 (recommended), do you guys think i will be able to run this game at approximately 1080p, High, 50 - 60fps ? Or i am asking too much ? Should i upgrade de CPU ? Or it's a waste of money.

obs.: I can run AC: Unity at 1080p, High, 35 - 45fps, and the game asks for pretty much the same specs as The Witcher's (slightly better VGA required), but since the game is very bad optmized, maybe i can get what i aim for in The Witcher ? (posted this as example, so you guys can know better my PC)

I know the game is not out yet, and it's pretty much impossible to give an accurate answer, all i'm asking is "theory".

depends what settings you want to play at.

60 fps on ultra won't be happening with that cpu

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@shockbolt117 said:

Upgrade only if needed, test the game 1st, then if the fps isn't enough for you - upgrade at your will.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 04dcarraher

@commander said:

@shockbolt117 said:

lol, you have no idea, so dont make the assumption. fact that the requirements only ask for phenom 2 X4 and recommend a fx 8350 means that his cpu will most likely be just fine for 1080p/60 fps average.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

@commander said:

@shockbolt117 said:

lol, you have no idea, so dont make the assumption. fact that the requirements only ask for phenom 2 X4 and recommend a fx 8350 means that his cpu will most likely be just fine for 1080p/60 fps average.

We'll see when it releases, recommended settings are not always something to go by (and the op is speaking about different recommended settings than you do)

and the witcher 2 was a pretty demanding game, I think 3 will be too

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 04dcarraher

@commander said:

We'll see when it releases, recommended settings are not always something to go by (and the op is speaking about different recommended settings than you do)

its a ballpark figure for requirements, and no the TC is not speaking about different recommended settings than me, "i will be able to run this game at approximately 1080p, High, 50 - 60fps"

The Witcher 3 is not as cpu dependent as you may think since the game is able to run on the consoles with a measly 1.6 ghz cpu with six cores that clock per clock is slower then K10 Athlon 2's.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@commander said:

@04dcarraher said:

@commander said:

@shockbolt117 said:

witcher 2 wasnt that demanding. Ubersampling aside i was able to play the game with max settings at mostly 40-50fps on a 6850 and a phenom II at 3,4ghz. Of course witcher 3 is much bigger game but considering the optimization on 2 i believe a core i5 will be more than enough for 60fps in most areas of the game and probably still be able to provide at least 40-50fps in cities with lots of A.I

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

The fact of the matter is the requirement and recommends are fucking bonkers in many of these games, due to actual inability to gauge performance or absolute shit optimization.. No better example of this was the release of the reqs/recs of GTAV and their reaction.. Not because they were so high, because they were so reasonably low that pc gamers thought there must be something wrong because they have become so used to so many pieces of shit optimizations many of the AAA games have released...

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@adamosmaki: I only get 60fps but still dips to 40fps on Th Witcher 2 and I have 2 7850's in crossfire.

Ubersampling disabled, it is a demanding game.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 04dcarraher

@thehig1 said:

@adamosmaki: I only get 60fps but still dips to 40fps on Th Witcher 2 and I have 2 7850's in crossfire.

The Witcher 2 only makes use of four threads so your 7850 CF cant be fed the the data they need quickly enough. Because the FX 8350 is not strong enough to handle all those gpu's with only using some of its cores. Now if you were to disable CF, I bet your issue would be gone and you would get a solid 60 fps. Benchmark with a FX 8150 and a GTX 580 is able to get 64 fps average at 1920x1200. Even a Phenom 2 X4 955 gets better performance then a FX 8120 with same benchmark.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thehig1

@04dcarraher said:

@thehig1 said:

The Witcher 2 only makes use of four threads so your 7850 CF cant be fed the the data they need quickly enough. Because the FX 8350 is not strong enough to handle all those gpu's with only using some of its cores. Now if you were to disable CF, I bet your issue would be gone and you would get a solid 60 fps. Benchmark with a FX 8150 and a GTX 580 is able to get 64 fps average at 1920x1200. Even a Phenom 2 X4 955 gets better performance then a FX 8120 with same benchmark.

The game runs the same with or without crossfire, I never seen improvement from Crossfire with Witcher 2, I guess that proves your point.

Now my motherboard is up to the task, I'm tempted to push my CPU to 5ghz over clock, do you think its worthwhile?

Heat should be ok, my PC is in a very cold part of the house, temps are often 20s and peaking at 40 under heavy load.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@thehig1 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@thehig1 said:

The game runs the same with or without crossfire, I never seen improvement from Crossfire with Witcher 2, I guess that proves your point.

Now my motherboard is up to the task, I'm tempted to push my CPU to 5ghz over clock, do you think its worthwhile?

Heat should be ok, my PC is in a very cold part of the house, temps are often 20s and peaking at 40 under heavy load.

i'm guessing those 40fps drops are in cities with lots of A.I. ? Yeah pushing it to 5ghz will certainly help ( my phenom ii would drop down to 35 with a single 7850 in cities but OC at 3,9ghz i gained 5-6fps minimum fps so it seems Witcher 2 is sensitive to both clock speed and cpu architecture )

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thehig1

@adamosmaki: yeah in big cities it does it, more often than not its 60fps.

That Performance is fine, but i think id need to overclock for witcher 3.

Not Sure if I can get 5ghz at stable, depends on weather I have a lucky chip.

I have good cooling and good motherboard to overclock with though.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 04dcarraher

@thehig1 said:

doubt you will need to overclock, chances are that 3 will support 8 threads, and to the point that this game is running on the consoles measly 1.6 ghz six available jaguar cores.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thehig1

@04dcarraher said:

@thehig1 said:

doubt you will need to overclock, chances are that 3 will support 8 threads, and to the point that this game is running on the consoles measly 1.6 ghz six available jaguar cores.

Makes sense, they have the FX8350 in the recommended spec, suggesting the game will support multiple threads.