Can laptop screen be used as a monitor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for PotatoSandWitch
PotatoSandWitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 PotatoSandWitch
Member since 2007 • 843 Posts
I just wanted to know if you can buy/build a new PC and use a laptop as a decent (not bad) monitor.
Cause if I end up doing what I've wanted to for a long time and building a PC in about a year or so, then I might consider saving temporarily by using my laptop screen and upgrading on some components and then saving up for a better monitor.

It's an Inspiron 9300 with standard widescreen 17" screen.

Thankth
j3ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 j3ninja
Member since 2004 • 154 Posts
I dont think you can do that because all of the connections on your laptop are outputs and wouldnt allow you to input another device.  I work at a computer store and many people come through with similar questions and my answer to them is usually no. 
If someone else has a proven method I would be glad to hear it.  Just thought I would add my two sense
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Nope.

I'd love it if my laptop had an input as well as an output, though, since I could hook up the 360 at 1080p. Oh well.

PotatoSandWitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PotatoSandWitch
I dont think you can do that because all of the connections on your laptop are outputs and wouldnt allow you to input another device. I work at a computer store and many people come through with similar questions and my answer to them is usually no.
If someone else has a proven method I would be glad to hear it. Just thought I would add my two sense
j3ninja
ah, thanks for reply.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
I don't think so, unless your laptop's monitor has some kind of input, such as s-video.
j3ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 j3ninja
I would imagine you would need some kind of soft wear to run something off a laptop monitor.  Download a Xbox emulator (dont know if they have a 360 yet).  Thats the only thing i can think to play your xbox on a laptop
PotatoSandWitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PotatoSandWitch
I don't think so, unless your laptop's monitor has some kind of input, such as s-video. DeeJayInphinity
not sure but it has a blue port with many circular holes and a white one with many square holes lol
PotatoSandWitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PotatoSandWitch
[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]I don't think so, unless your laptop's monitor has some kind of input, such as s-video. PotatoSandWitch
not sure but it has a blue port with many circular holes and a white one with many square holes lol

and it also has a circular port with a symbol of a TV with an arrow pointing out of the TV..
j3ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 j3ninja
s-video are typically black, circular, with few pins. those holes you described sound like ps/2 holes
Jiggly_Wiggly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jiggly_Wiggly
Member since 2006 • 1912 Posts
But S Video is usually low quality I would avoid that, And To the poster I don't think so laptops dont have inputs, except s video. So give it a shot.
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts
You can....but you have to buy extra hardware....and you'll have to see if the cables match.  I've been thinking about doing this myself with a PS3.  They've got USB decoders (hw/sw) that will accept a video input and display it on the laptop's monitor.  You are dealing with the USB port so you're throughput is limited by that.  Google for "USB PVR".  I also saw this device http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=8955&SID=