Can I upgrade my Pc to run Higher end games? Help?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NEDNERBISH (1 posts) -

# Hello, Please be gentile im tender. I have a HP P7-1026 Desktop pc. It has 6 gigs of ram, 1tb hd, runs windows 7 home edition. 64 bit, has amd (graphics?) HD4200 series and it does run some games pretty good such as, Borderlands1, Far cry 1+ 2, All the half lifes, team fortress', resident evil 5 (shockingly), and a few others that aren't so strenuous. I would LOVE to be able to play Skyrim, Battlefield3, SOME C.O.Duties, and other higher setting games. now Im curious. Since it will run some decent games is it me but im thinking it wont take much to upgrade it to run the newer titles. Please feel free to give as much or as little input as you want. I am completely new at PC modification but am no idioit. I learn very quickly. Thank you for your time and patience with me. I truly do appreciate it tremendously. Sincerely Brenden. If you feel like chatting add me, Nednerbish :)

#2 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6248 posts) -

specs of HP P7-1026

Discrete GPU would have to function within the limitations of a 250W power supply. Or swap out the power supply too.

• 1 PCI Express x16 slot Gen 2 speed

Not sure whether this means PCIE 2.0, or whether it's forward/backward compatible.

I'm %99 positive that a 550W power supply and my old 5770 would serve this build admirably.

#3 Posted by kraken2109 (13007 posts) -

It would need a graphics card and a new power supply.

I wouldn't expect the case to cool very well so I wouldn't recommend a high end card.

#4 Edited by mastershake575 (8354 posts) -

It would need a graphics card and a new power supply.

I wouldn't expect the case to cool very well so I wouldn't recommend a high end card.

Agree with this. If you live in the US/Canada then you can check out blackfriday/cyber monday deals on neweggs website (you should be able to get a decent powersupply on sale for like $40). Then you can get whatever GPU you have left in your budget ( if you have a decent budget then a 650ti boost/7850 or higher will do wonders to your system).

#5 Posted by joseph_mach (3581 posts) -

As mentioned, you'll need to get a better power supply for a video card, but make sure your case allows for a bigger psu. I've seen many Dell's and HP's (in mid-size cases) that won't fit psu's from other manufacturers. I did a really quick search on Google and didn't see any issues, but I'd spend 10 minutes or so researching it just to be safe.