Can I run Skyrim?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Frozenwerewolf (9 posts) -

Computer Specs:

AMD A4-4300M APU with Radeon HD 2.50GHZ

4GB (3.47) Usable of RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7420G

I'm planning on picking up skyrim for my laptop on christmas, but I'm worried that since it's not exactly a gaming laptop, it might not be able to handle it. I had no problems running Fallout New Vegas with graphical enhancing mods at near or at max settings, and from the Just Cause 2 demo I tried with the default settings seemed to give me about 20-30fps with choppy cutscenes. The system requirements lab seems to say I can run it on at least minimum settings, but can't give me a definitive pass or fail. I already own skyrim for console, so my main concern is that it would just run to slow on my laptop to get any proper enjoyment from it.

#2 Posted by Arthas045 (5155 posts) -

I would have to say everything would be need to be played on low, but something any more demanding than that will not run...

#3 Posted by SirSlimyScott (266 posts) -
#4 Posted by Frozenwerewolf (9 posts) -

Thanks Arthas. Already tried that Sirslimy, but at times the sites been weird giving me fails on games that I know I can run no problem, or telling me I should be able to run a game okay, only to have it completely poo itself when I try to play. I even said in my post that I already tried that site, but was worried that running it on the minimum settings it might still be to slow.

#5 Edited by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

Thanks Arthas. Already tried that Sirslimy, but at times the sites been weird giving me fails on games that I know I can run no problem, or telling me I should be able to run a game okay, only to have it completely poo itself when I try to play. I even said in my post that I already tried that site, but was worried that running it on the minimum settings it might still be to slow.

Just play it on your 360 if you're worried about performance.

Aside from Mods, and the better graphics (both would lag your PC), there's no advantage to the PC version.

#6 Posted by Zelda187 (753 posts) -

Absolutely

My younger brother can play at high settings with 15-20 mods active on a Radeon 4850.

#7 Posted by mhofever (3954 posts) -

I was able to play Skyrim on low/medium settings on my HD 4570 laptop with a steady 25-30 fps. Skyrim is one of those games, if left unmodded, where it could run on most machines, low or high settings

Sometimes the CYRI is balony. It told me I couldn't run MW3 on requirements on my laptop but it managed fine on low/medium settings.

#8 Posted by wis3boi (31279 posts) -
#9 Posted by SirSlimyScott (266 posts) -

@wis3boi: I've never used it, how bad is it?

#10 Posted by Frozenwerewolf (9 posts) -

Awesome to hear I'll be able to run it. And just in time for the flash sale.

So far with my experience using that site, it's listed several of my computers components being inferior to what was needed, and the 'upgrades' where worse then what I currently had. It also has a problem of telling me games I can't run that I can (Hearthstone, Just Cause 2) and showing games that I should run at okay to mid settings, but can't (Payday 2. Quite choppy for me even on the lowest setting.)

#11 Posted by Arthas045 (5155 posts) -

Yeah the site is famous for giving false information like stated above the algorithms are jacked.

#12 Posted by Frozenwerewolf (9 posts) -

Just downloaded Skyrim and played through the intro. The start up set me at medium graphics, and the game runs as smooth as a baby's bottom besides the occasional hiccups that are more from the fact it's a bethesda product than frame rate issues. Thank you guys so much for your quick responses.

#13 Posted by mhofever (3954 posts) -

Just downloaded Skyrim and played through the intro. The start up set me at medium graphics, and the game runs as smooth as a baby's bottom besides the occasional hiccups that are more from the fact it's a bethesda product than frame rate issues. Thank you guys so much for your quick responses.

Check out this little performance patch. Has helped for me.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5641/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D5641%26preview%3D&pUp=1

#14 Posted by Arthas045 (5155 posts) -

Sweet congrats hope you enjoy the game! Hope you got the flash sale price.

#15 Posted by wis3boi (31279 posts) -

it falls for the Ghz myth and the cores myth, among other things. It's told the system in my sig that I couldn't run games, in which I couldn't stop laughing.