Can I play sound from 2 different applications in 2 different devices in win7?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TrooperManaic (3726 posts) -

Just as the Topic says "Can I play sound from 2 different applications in 2 different devices in win7"? 

Basically I have an HDMI cable running from my PC to my TV and the only way to hear sound out from the TV is to go to the playback devices and right click the desired device and press "Set as Default device" But I want to use my PC at the same time for gameing and I want to hear the sound for my games through my PC speakers. Unfortunatly I can only hear it from my TV this way. Is there a way to fix it?

#2 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -

Maybe not exactly the situation, but the 2nd answer on this page might help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/multiple-simultaneous-audio-outputs-in-windows-7/af25defc-7559-4c8d-9480-2ee7790492f1

Edit:  Another, less-friendly way might be to add another audio device - like a sound card and have it output to something separately.

#3 Posted by Byshop (11035 posts) -

Just as the Topic says "Can I play sound from 2 different applications in 2 different devices in win7"? 

Basically I have an HDMI cable running from my PC to my TV and the only way to hear sound out from the TV is to go to the playback devices and right click the desired device and press "Set as Default device" But I want to use my PC at the same time for gameing and I want to hear the sound for my games through my PC speakers. Unfortunatly I can only hear it from my TV this way. Is there a way to fix it?

TrooperManaic

I understand your question and I have dealt with this myself. I have multiple monitors and the ability to put TV over speakers while game over headset is nice because if the two are coming from different locations then it's easier to differentiate the sounds. Similarly, when I'm in hotels I like to play video files on the hotel room TV while gaming on the laptop screen/speakers.

Essentially, it's like this. There's no way that I know of in the OS to make this happen. The OS itself doesn't exactly control which audio device is used by indiviudal apps. Instead, you specify a "default" audio device and that's what the apps themselves choose to use. There are only two ways to output to multiple audio devices at the same time:

1) One (or both) of the two applications you plan on using has to have the ability to choose which Windows Audio Device it uses instead of just using the default. Most media player apps will let you do this. VLCPlayer, for example, can be forced to use any specific audio device you want. Then all you need to do is set the Windows default audio device to the one you want the game to output on. Note: Some games also have the ability to select a distinct audio device, but whether or not a game allows you to do this is entirely dependent on the game itself. Many will not.

2) Even if an app does not let you choose which audio device it uses, you can also trick some apps. Not every app will switch audio devices "on the fly" so if you change the default audio device after starting the app, some apps will stay on whatever device was default when you started it. This is also entirely dependent on the behavior of the individual app.

Sadly, I'm not aware of some mixer board application that lets you pick which apps use which audio device. If something like that exists, I'd be interested.

-Byshop

#4 Posted by TrooperManaic (3726 posts) -

Well I figured out how to get sound from my built in sound board and my external sound card but I also have an HDMI on my onboard and I want to dedicate the HDMI sound by itself. Say im watching something on youtube. Id like to dedicate chrome to just the HDMI. I guess its not possible?

#5 Posted by Byshop (11035 posts) -

Well I figured out how to get sound from my built in sound board and my external sound card but I also have an HDMI on my onboard and I want to dedicate the HDMI sound by itself. Say im watching something on youtube. Id like to dedicate chrome to just the HDMI. I guess its not possible?

TrooperManaic

Not unless Chrome lets you pick your audio output device. Besides the methods I listed above, I don't know of any way to force a specific app to use a specific audio device. I've checked into this before and I haven't found an answer like what you're looking for. If I do, I'll let you know.

-Byshop