Can anyone here explain Valve's steaming app to me?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

I am iffy playing my games when they announce their streaming service.. It's not that I don't mind people watching the games I'm playing(not that I have any friends on steam), but I don't like the idea because I don't want it to be using my bandwidth. Maybe someone here can go into further detail about valve's new streaming service?

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts

@TheShadowLord07: You do know it's only up to you if you wish to use it. It doesn't automatically start running when you play games.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts
@slabber44 said:

@TheShadowLord07: You do know it's only up to you if you wish to use it. It doesn't automatically start running when you play games.

? yes it does.... if you opt in to the service, it is always running. if you start a game in steam, it will automatically start streaming.

if you dont want it... just turn it off?

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts

@cyloninside: Your right, I guess I figured he already knew that you could turn it off. Thanks for clearing it up.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@cyloninside said:
@slabber44 said:

? yes it does.... if you opt in to the service, it is always running. if you start a game in steam, it will automatically start streaming.

if you dont want it... just turn it off?

Sorry >_< I couldn't find how to turn it off under the broadcasting section in steam.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Does anyone know how the service works? Does this mean I can stream games from my good PC to a crappy PC in my home? Does the good PC screen mirror what's being streamed to the client?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Does anyone know how the service works? Does this mean I can stream games from my good PC to a crappy PC in my home? Does the good PC screen mirror what's being streamed to the client?

thats a different thing than this update. This new update lets friends click my name in steam and hit "watch" and see my playing session. In Home Streaming allows two devices over the same home network to log into steam at the same time and you can play games on a shitty laptop hosted by the desktop

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@KHAndAnime said:

thats a different thing than this update. This new update lets friends click my name in steam and hit "watch" and see my playing session. In Home Streaming allows two devices over the same home network to log into steam at the same time and you can play games on a shitty laptop hosted by the desktop

I need a higher upload speed for this...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@horgen said:

@wis3boi said:

@KHAndAnime said:

I need a higher upload speed for this...

its barely taken anything for my system to output 1080p to my friends, fps didnt drop either. I've actually opened up my steam to allow nonfriends to stream too and ended up with 25 people watching my GTA 4 once....was kinda funny

edit: in case anyone doesnt know, steam lets you stream non-steam games to friends as well, so I've had people view my Dragon Age as well