Call of Duty.... wow! Overrated.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The__MCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 The__MCP
Member since 2007 • 757 Posts

I bought this game when it first came out but was too bored to complete it.  So now after a few sequels and craving a WW2 shooter, I have installed it on my system again and all I can say is O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D.

I think I read that the people who designed Medal of Honor Allied Assault started their own company and designed this game, and I hope that's true because it feels like a MOH rip-off, but first of all -- way too much scripting!  Too many missions wait for you to do certain things or hit certain waypoints which makes it feel totally bland.  I clear out an area, all Nazis disappear, then I go talk to the private, and boom, suddenly 30 Nazis appear out of nowhere!  Uh, yeah.

The missions aren't as fun as MOH.  I remember MOH:AA as one of the best shooters I've ever played, and this game can be fun at times, but nowhere near as cool Omaha Beach, I'll never forget that level!  Or even the first level where I had to storm a small desert village, then climb a  lighthouse and defend it, that was fun!  I think the only boring level on MOH was the snow-covered forest land at the end but I have yet to run into a mission in CoD I think stands out as "classic."  Maybe the most fun I've had so far is storming a German mansion, but I seem to recall the exact same mission in MOH, and it was done much better, because I had a shotgun.

That brings me to another point, too many boring weapons in this game.  MOH had a good mix of shotguns, sniper rifles to keep it interesting but so far, this has mostly been boring rifles.   I can use devices I don't ever remember in MOH like the anti-tank guns, but they are bleh.  The buildings don't get destroyed, only the tanks.  I'd rather play Company of Heroes, even though its RTS, where you can use all types of powerful weapons but EVERYTHING is destructible.

Online play once again feels like a complete MOH rip-off.  Like usual, I enjoy online play in this game better than the singleplayer experience, but there don't seem to be as many classic maps yet like the V2 rocket assembly raid, and no new systems of gameplay that I haven't already experienced on other shooters. It's an older game now but after I've heard so much about it and its sequels, I really expected something more "classic." :|  I'd rather pull out MOH, Far Cry, or FEAR and play them again. :|

mxpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 mxpower
Member since 2003 • 198 Posts
I don't know I liked both of them. I was disappointed in the ending of MOHAA. I was all ready to go onto the next mission and the credits roll. I was like "WTF? Thats it?"  
Avatar image for PotatoSandWitch
PotatoSandWitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 PotatoSandWitch
Member since 2007 • 843 Posts
although I have only played a MoH game once, and for only about an hour, and don't remember it much at all, I've honestly never really liked CoD either. I got CoD2 for my PC and ended up playing about 5 sessions before deciding I didn't want to anymore. I have CoD3 for my 360 (didn't ask for it- got it for Xmas) and it's really just more of the same, extremely linear, usually boring single player with multiplayer that really seems like nothing special.
Captain-Seal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Captain-Seal
Member since 2004 • 505 Posts
I really like the CoD series but also enjoy MoH and plan on picking up MoH: Airborne. But I favor the CoD singleplayer however. They're not exactly what you would call classic levels but some that I enjoyed more than others where Pointe Du Hoc, Stanlingrad in UO, Hill 400 and I thought the Russian Campaing in CoD and UO were really fun but not so much in CoD2. Medal of Honor is alot better in multiplayer imo.
Sgt_So_and_So

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Sgt_So_and_So
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts
CoD was better than MoH. Why? It conveyed the fear of war on a totally different scale than any other FPS at the time had, and every successful WW2 game since has copied this cinematic scale. The Landing at Stalingrad? The Attack on Foy? The Defense of Pegasus Bridge? These were keypoints in history- READ: HISTORY, not "Special Forces Fiction Land", where MOH comes from- that helped turn the war in the favor of the Allies, and they were so amazingly recreated with a stirring musical medley and scripted events that it made you feel like you were in a movie. And, topic creator, the guys who made this game were Infinity Ward, one of the highest regarded FPS developers in the US- the creators of the Castle Wolfenstein series, and also the makers and distributers of the freeware Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. They are NOT EA Games.
trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 trix5817
Member since 2004 • 12252 Posts
although I have only played a MoH game once, and for only about an hour, and don't remember it much at all, I've honestly never really liked CoD either. I got CoD2 for my PC and ended up playing about 5 sessions before deciding I didn't want to anymore. I have CoD3 for my 360 (didn't ask for it- got it for Xmas) and it's really just more of the same, extremely linear, usually boring single player with multiplayer that really seems like nothing special.PotatoSandWitch

That's because CoD2 and 3 are nothing compared to CoD1 and UO. The TC has a crappy taste in games. MOH has nothing on COD. Sorry, but the days of the rambo 1 man army war games are over. CoD actually made you feel like you were part of a huge battle. The most intense WWII shooter to date. Nothing beats the Omaha Beach mission ins MOHAA though.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Sgt_So_and_So"]CoD was better than MoH. Why? It conveyed the fear of war on a totally different scale than any other FPS at the time had, and every successful WW2 game since has copied this cinematic scale. The Landing at Stalingrad? The Attack on Foy? The Defense of Pegasus Bridge? These were keypoints in history- READ: HISTORY, not "Special Forces Fiction Land", where MOH comes from- that helped turn the war in the favor of the Allies, and they were so amazingly recreated with a stirring musical medley and scripted events that it made you feel like you were in a movie. And, topic creator, the guys who made this game were Infinity Ward, one of the highest regarded FPS developers in the US- the creators of the Castle Wolfenstein series, and also the makers and distributers of the freeware Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. They are NOT EA Games.

Hrm.. the 'creators' were technically iD software, way back when. RtCW was Grey Matter Software, and the multiplayer for RtCW and Enemy Territory were Splash Damage. IW were the men behind MoH: AA, and they went on to create CoD, then CoD2, though they've skipped CoD3 - that was Treyarch. But yeah, IW had nothing to do with RtCW.
The__MCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 The__MCP
Member since 2007 • 757 Posts

CoD was better than MoH. Why? It conveyed the fear of war on a totally different scale than any other FPS at the time had, and every successful WW2 game since has copied this cinematic scale. The Landing at Stalingrad? The Attack on Foy? The Defense of Pegasus Bridge? These were keypoints in history- READ: HISTORY, not "Special Forces Fiction Land", where MOH comes from- that helped turn the war in the favor of the Allies, and they were so amazingly recreated with a stirring musical medley and scripted events that it made you feel like you were in a movie. And, topic creator, the guys who made this game were Infinity Ward, one of the highest regarded FPS developers in the US- the creators of the Castle Wolfenstein series, and also the makers and distributers of the freeware Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. They are NOT EA Games.Sgt_So_and_So

I do appreciate WWII history, but I'd rather play a strategy game if that's the focus. I'm currently playing Company of Heroes and Hearts of Iron which IMO is the most comprehensive WW2 strategy game to date.  And it's even cool how I have followed up Company of Heroes with Call of Duty because I didn't realize that they focus on many of the same battle routes in Europe, although CoH goes into much more detail.  However, when I play a shooter, the main thing I want is wham bam fun, not historical reality.  Although people have mentioned they love the team based combat and heavy WWII bombardment feel, I hate that because it relies on flawed AI and scripts. It makes it feel like a program, rather than a game.  But that's just me. I applaud them for their ambition, but it feel generic, not alive, especially with so many maps having such a small size.  I couldn't help but crack up laughing in that one mission when my plane makes a huge crash landing, and the platoon empties out only 50 feet from the Nazi bridge, yet not a single German noticed us in the crash. LOL! 

stevo232345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 stevo232345
Member since 2004 • 103 Posts
I'm really bored with WWII shooters cuz all of  them are the same. MOH and COD are pretty much almost identical except in COD you play as every faction except germany. I got bored playin both. 
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
I have to agree.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Call of Duty 1 was amazing, problably what every WWII shooter should aspire to.  CoD 2, while its a solid game, was just too much of the same crap over again.

IMO, my list of WWII shooters goes like this:
1.  CoD 1
2.  Brothers in Arms
3.  Medal of Honor
4.  CoD 2

pardue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pardue
Member since 2006 • 116 Posts

I bought this game when it first came out but was too bored to complete it.  So now after a few sequels and craving a WW2 shooter, I have installed it on my system again and all I can say is O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D.

I think I read that the people who designed Medal of Honor Allied Assault started their own company and designed this game, and I hope that's true because it feels like a MOH rip-off, but first of all -- way too much scripting!  Too many missions wait for you to do certain things or hit certain waypoints which makes it feel totally bland.  I clear out an area, all Nazis disappear, then I go talk to the private, and boom, suddenly 30 Nazis appear out of nowhere!  Uh, yeah.

The missions aren't as fun as MOH.  I remember MOH:AA as one of the best shooters I've ever played, and this game can be fun at times, but nowhere near as cool Omaha Beach, I'll never forget that level!  Or even the first level where I had to storm a small desert village, then climb a  lighthouse and defend it, that was fun!  I think the only boring level on MOH was the snow-covered forest land at the end but I have yet to run into a mission in CoD I think stands out as "classic."  Maybe the most fun I've had so far is storming a German mansion, but I seem to recall the exact same mission in MOH, and it was done much better, because I had a shotgun.

That brings me to another point, too many boring weapons in this game.  MOH had a good mix of shotguns, sniper rifles to keep it interesting but so far, this has mostly been boring rifles.   I can use devices I don't ever remember in MOH like the anti-tank guns, but they are bleh.  The buildings don't get destroyed, only the tanks.  I'd rather play Company of Heroes, even though its RTS, where you can use all types of powerful weapons but EVERYTHING is destructible.

Online play once again feels like a complete MOH rip-off.  Like usual, I enjoy online play in this game better than the singleplayer experience, but there don't seem to be as many classic maps yet like the V2 rocket assembly raid, and no new systems of gameplay that I haven't already experienced on other shooters. It's an older game now but after I've heard so much about it and its sequels, I really expected something more "classic." :|  I'd rather pull out MOH, Far Cry, or FEAR and play them again. :|

The__MCP

go play halo 2.