Call of Duty 4: Direct X Crash

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by undisclos3d (11 posts) -
Does anyone have any idea why this is happening, I've played Single Player on all of the maximum graphic settings and then when I try to play multiplayer I set the screen rez. to a higher setting, and I click 'apply' the program closes and I get an error message saying 'Direct X encountered a problem, please read the read-me for more information.'?
#2 Posted by Minion_24 (1162 posts) -
I get that also. I dont know what causes it. hopefully they can patch it. i even tried reinstalling
#3 Posted by undisclos3d (11 posts) -
Yeah, I've tried reinstalling Direct X but I'm still getting the same error.
#4 Posted by OgreB (2523 posts) -
Resolution or refresh rate too high..???
#5 Posted by undisclos3d (11 posts) -
Its the same as in single player; and single player works.
#6 Posted by undisclos3d (11 posts) -
I found the problem for me, I had to update my graphics card... :P now it works, I forgot all about that.
#7 Posted by Rdnck264 (3 posts) -
i had the same problem, all i had to do was close Xfire
#8 Posted by undisclos3d (11 posts) -
oh really, i will have to do that then
#9 Posted by Rdnck264 (3 posts) -
yeah it works, theres a few other games that have the same issue with xfire, hopefully a fix will be out soon.
#10 Posted by raiden7890 (1608 posts) -
i get it sometimes if im alt+tabbing in and out of things, although during gameplay its fine. not too sure what the problem is myself
#11 Posted by Rdnck264 (3 posts) -
The update was released for Xfire last night, workin good for me now
#12 Posted by Ironfungus (1123 posts) -
It's an error caused by Xfire. Exit Xfire, then load up Call of Duty 4 and try again.
#14 Posted by MikeTheTechGuy (2 posts) -
A fix to a Directx error.

After changing any graphics options, the game closes and I receive error "DirectX Error DirectX has encountered an unrecoverable error. Please check DirectX Help document for possible details."

AMD X2 6000+, nVidia 8800 GTA 320mb with newest drivers.
I never had Xfire installed.

I disabled the new Steam 'in-game friends community' via the Steam settings, and now the game works fine.

People need to try disabling the Steam in-game friend feature.
#15 Posted by scott5305 (1 posts) -
I have been getting this same messege. However, I do have Xfire and Steam but neither is running so I don't believe that could be the problem. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 pro, which is the minimum requirement for this game. Does anyone think that this could be the problem? I have tried updating directx, a few times, and also my video card drivers. Nothing seems to be working. I'm really stumped right now. For what it is worth, I also had problems with the game TimeShift. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
#16 Posted by re-remixed (2 posts) -
im having the exact same problem, i had just reinstalled and are still getting this "unrecoverable error" i reinstalled DirectX and restarted my computer and this problem consists. i dont have Xfire, let alone know what it is. help?
#17 Posted by re-remixed (2 posts) -

A fix to a Directx error.

After changing any graphics options, the game closes and I receive error "DirectX Error DirectX has encountered an unrecoverable error. Please check DirectX Help document for possible details."

AMD X2 6000+, nVidia 8800 GTA 320mb with newest drivers.
I never had Xfire installed.

I disabled the new Steam 'in-game friends community' via the Steam settings, and now the game works fine.

People need to try disabling the Steam in-game friend feature.MikeTheTechGuy

how do you disable the steam in game friend feature..^o)

#18 Posted by victor_rules (2 posts) -
What is Xfire??
#19 Posted by 1ofdireluck (1 posts) -
I have the Direct X error thing on both multiplayer and singleplayer, I don't play with xfire, and I haven't changed any of the graphics settings, the thing that bothers me is that it was working perfectly last night.....
#20 Posted by Panda_Xpress (1 posts) -
hey how do u update da card?
#21 Posted by easytargetuk (1 posts) -
iv'e got the directx crash problem, got good graphics cards, windows vista 64bit, quad core Q6600 2.4 ghz 3gig ram, 2x 512SLI nvidia cards all on nvidia motherboard and still get the crash problem even when run on 1 graphic card not sure if it could all be down to 64bit
#22 Posted by nusouthneocon (2 posts) -
Ok, is anyone having this problem? I have been playing call of duty 4 and the latest patch i had was 1.4. It worked fine. But when I updated to 1.5 it causes some kind of conlfict with my video card. Its a diamond radeon x1550. My computer completely crashes. I took the card out and used the onboard video card. Then I reinstalled my Diamond Radeon x1150 after previously running system restore causing my call of duty 4 game to go back to version 1.4. Everything worked great. But when I run the call of duty 4 update to 1.5 it crashes my system again. Any Ideas?
#23 Posted by uroshs (24 posts) -

don't update

#24 Posted by KillerOfGods98 (1 posts) -
I have the Direct X error thing on both multiplayer and singleplayer, I don't play with xfire, and I haven't changed any of the graphics settings, the thing that bothers me is that it was working perfectly last night.....1ofdireluck
dude same with me it was working for 8 days and i got up to ghilled up mission next morning i got up started playing and BAM error
#25 Posted by dennyj_1 (1 posts) -
same here. install:error/fix,fix,fix/play:error/fix,fix,fix/playlonger:error/reinstall game:error/fix,fix,fix/play even longer:error.... argggggggggh