Buy Dark Souls 1 before Dark Souls 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxchadxxchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xxchadxxchad
Member since 2008 • 199 Posts

I'm really hesitant on blowing $50 on DS2 considering that i built a PC in the first place in order to save money on games! But it looks really good and I have wanted to get into a Dark Souls game for a while now! Should I buy DS1 instead and save some money or go straight for DS2?

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

Straight to ds2, ds1 is a horrible PC port

maynardburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By maynardburger
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts

If you're trying to save money, then totally get the first game. You can usually find it super cheap somewhere.

The vanilla port is terrible, but you can install DSFix pretty painlessly, which will get you 1080p/60fps and a few other nice options to make it pretty darn awesome.

Really, if you haven't played Dark Souls 1, you'd want to play it at some point anyways. 2 is good, but each game in the Souls series stands on their own very well with no need to play any of them in any specific order.

Choose Dark Souls 2 if you want something that looks and works great straight out of the box, though. Having to install DSFix to get DS1 to run at 1080p is annoying, but it is pretty easy. Shouldn't take you longer than 10 minutes or so.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

If you have access to a PS3 play the original that started it all too - Demon's Souls. Yes you should play them all, not that you need to but you'll appreciate the franchise more that way in my opinion.

Don't listen to the naysayers, yes the first Dark Souls was a horrible port but a Modder has fixed all that with the DSfix. Enjoy the games mate.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@xxchadxxchad said:

I'm really hesitant on blowing $50 on DS2 considering that i built a PC in the first place in order to save money on games! But it looks really good and I have wanted to get into a Dark Souls game for a while now! Should I buy DS1 instead and save some money or go straight for DS2?

If you want to save money you can buy ds1. It was not a very good port in the first place because it didn't have enchanced graphics.

You just gotta download 'dsfix' and that's all solved. You're going to miss out on the multiplayer stuff in dark souls 1 though, I doubt there will still be a lot of people online on dark souls 1, I don't know that for sure though. I also heard there was a lot of hacking. However, the single player component is the biggest part of dark souls 1.

Dark souls 1 is imo also a lot harder than the second one. That being said, dark souls 1 is a game you simply should have played, it has the best artwork i have ever seen in a game.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

People complain about DS1 and its PC port but its very easy to fix and with SweetFX its also a very good looking game alongside its great gameplay. The thing about Dark Souls is that its the game and its gameplay the keeps you coming back for more. You dont have to worry about the story too much but playing through both means that you get twice the enjoyment. Dark Souls 1 is a very good game and very fun to play.

In a few months you will be able to get DS2 for $30-$40. BUT If you head over to GreenManGaming you may be able to use either a 20% off or 25% off code to get the game for cheap sooner. Either way, waiting will bring you a better price and give you time to beat DS1 (which is spectacular either way).

With regard to DS1 you should get the DSFix mod at least. This allows you to play the game at higher resolutions and also allows you to unlock the frame rate (given you enter that information and the rest in the config file) and can play the game with a controller (which is very recommended with DS1). If you have a 360 controller, Id go with that. Its worth having for other games and works like a charm with both DS games. I own two myself. Dont be elitist and inflexible with PC gaming...controllers just work better with some games.

Lastly, if you want to go online in DS1 you should also get the DSCFix mod which fixes the connectivity issues. I was able to co-op easily with it. And its totally worth it. :D.

danxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By danxxx
Member since 2005 • 687 Posts

i went straight to DS2 having a blast!

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I'd suggest you get DS2 first, beat it, do some pvp if you like it and if you want more Souls get the first game. With DS1fix the shitty port is easily fixed so no problem there. Playing DS2 with a dualshock 4 and its fking glorious with gedosato mod

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

DS1 is the better game so get that.

DS2 is still good though and I recommend it.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i'd recommend both games, but i still say play DS1 first. for starters, it's the better game. beyond that, the story of DS2 is more satisfying if you've already played the first.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Why would you go straight to DS2? They are both very similar games overall. Dark Souls 2 is just more of Dark Souls 1. I think most agree that the first game is better as well.