Building a PC on a budget, to buy refurbished ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Hi all. I've currently been looking into building a PC to play games upon (I'm content with 1080 and using my 32" TV) but it has been such a long time since I've played on PC and not kept up with technical side i currently feel out of depth at the moment with components from which company to be looking at. I was browsing the ebay and came across refurbished towers which i could build upon over time or would it be better to start from scratch?

Any help and advice would be appreciated. I can go up to around £500/ 600. I just want good frame rate and im not a complete GFX ho.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Dibdibdobdobo:

500 pounds lol? buy new, that's a good budget.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/7T77yc enjoy

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

thats a good build but why the el cheapo motherboard with no O/C and a CPU that can O/C? Imo TC should either spend an extra 40pounds and get an entry level z97 mobo such as MSI z97m g43 or Gigabyte Ds3H let alone z97 will be compatible with upcoming broadwell cpu's

IF he wants to save money imo just dont buy an aftermarket cooler for now and when he has money then buy one ( besides to my surprise the stock cooler does a decent job keeping the temps in check as long as you dont overclock )

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GeryGo  Moderator

@adamosmaki said:

@PredatorRules said:

thats a good build but why the el cheapo motherboard with no O/C and a CPU that can O/C? Imo TC should either spend an extra 40pounds and get an entry level z97 mobo such as MSI z97m g43 or Gigabyte Ds3H let alone z97 will be compatible with upcoming broadwell cpu's

IF he wants to save money imo just dont buy an aftermarket cooler for now and when he has money then buy one ( besides to my surprise the stock cooler does a decent job keeping the temps in check as long as you dont overclock )

Because the budget is already 612 pounds, 12 pounds over the limit, but IMO is worth it.

K and none K version CPU worth the exact same money, while MOBO is even higher in price: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ymhw8d now it's 630 pounds

I'd want to keep the R9 290 >

The best option is to reduce the CPU: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/dd2w8d

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@PredatorRules:

You can pickup a 280X for 150 , then why pick up 1333mhz when you can pick up 1866mhz for a few more, That will help with the budget , allowing a better motherboard as well.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GeryGo  Moderator

@04dcarraher said:

@PredatorRules:

You can pickup a 280X for 150 , then why pick up 1333mhz when you can pick up 1866mhz for a few more, That will help with the budget , allowing a better motherboard as well.

Because it makes no difference in gaming, unless you go quad channel.

I've chosen R9 290 which is better, I wouldn't go with VTX or whatever that brand is, if anything I'd go with MSI TWIN FROZR GTX760 for the same 150 pounds, you can even pick up HAWK edition for 154 pounds.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 04dcarraher

@PredatorRules said:

@04dcarraher said:

@PredatorRules:

I've chosen R9 290 which is better, I wouldn't go with VTX or whatever that brand is, if anything I'd go with MSI TWIN FROZR GTX760 for the same 150 pounds, you can even pick up HAWK edition for 154 pounds.

wrong. the difference between 1333 mhz to even 1600 mhz with high end gpu or multiple gpu's can be as much as 5 fps.The frequency of the memory allows more bandwidth, quad channel is useful in multiple high ended gpu setups. Not so much with single cards.

VTX is a well known European based company.... Why would you pick a zalman 550w psu with a mediocre motherboard and a 290 your choices are a frankenstein mix match to bring the price down

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@04dcarraher said:

@PredatorRules said:

@04dcarraher said:

@PredatorRules:

wrong. the difference between 1333 mhz to even 1600 mhz with high end gpu or multiple gpu's can be as much as 5 fps.The frequency of the memory allows more bandwidth, quad channel is useful in multiple high ended gpu setups. Not so much with single cards.

VTX is a well known European based company.... Why would you pick a zalman 550w psu with a mediocre motherboard and a 290 your choices are a frankenstein mix match to bring the price down

Zalman is gold rated, so called "medicore" MOBO is doing a great job so far on my personal build (not everyone got to have RAMPAGE, MAXIMUS, KILLER or SNIPER branded on their MOBO module to make themselves feel good), R9 290 because of the good price/performance ratio.

Never heard of VTX so I'd be safer in the hands of Asus, EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte or Sapphire.

About the RAM speeds, I really doubt it, unless you've got a proof...

BTW: quad channel setup is useful at the right games, no matter the GPU setup.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 04dcarraher

@PredatorRules said:

@04dcarraher said:

@PredatorRules said:

@04dcarraher said:

@PredatorRules:

Zalman is gold rated, so called "medicore" MOBO is doing a great job so far on my personal build (not everyone got to have RAMPAGE, MAXIMUS, KILLER or SNIPER branded on their MOBO module to make themselves feel good), R9 290 because of the good price/performance ratio.

Never heard of VTX so I'd be safer in the hands of Asus, EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte or Sapphire.

About the RAM speeds, I really doubt it, unless you've got a proof...

BTW: quad channel setup is useful at the right games, no matter the GPU setup.

Being gold rated does not mean crap brand track records play a role as well, Zalman psu's tend to mediocre to bad in quality. The fact that you can fine a 550w gold rated psu for only 47 pounds should have rose some red flags.... Point being about the motherboard is that you sacrifice some options also may need a bios update to work with that H81 series.

VTX brand is just fine its no different any other major US brand.

Quad channel does nothing significant over dual channel with any single based gpu unless your running low frequency memory.

Here are a few examples with haswell cpus

1080 max settings:

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@04dcarraher said:

Being gold rated does not mean crap brand track records play a role as well, Zalman psu's tend to mediocre to bad in quality. The fact that you can fine a 550w gold rated psu for only 47 pounds should have rose some red flags.... Point being about the motherboard is that you sacrifice some options also may need a bios update to work with that H81 series.

VTX brand is just fine its no different any other major US brand.

Quad channel does nothing significant over dual channel with any single based gpu unless your running low frequency memory.

Here are a few examples with haswell cpus

1080 max settings:

Well if you can get faster RAM speed at no larger sacrifice then go for it, you brought one of the good engines that does use quad channel and RAM speed

My example was to mention F1 games but as you know Codemasters all of their games are build on the very same engine.

There's about 5-10 fps difference between dual and quad channel, speed is also taken advantage here, it's more effective on 1080p and lower resolutions as you may see.

I disagree about lower price = crappy product, some are just branding more than bringing any changes in quality as for SeaSonic, Corsair and Antec - hands down best brands for PSUs, if you have the money to buy a gold and above rated PSUs from those companies that'll be good.

VTX is not a known company here in Israel, I do not know of their customer support, I can vouch for Asus with their great customer service.

Any none H81 MOBO will jump the price by at least 20 pounds, something that I think it easy taken care of with simple BIOS update which is not always a MUST to do.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 04dcarraher

@PredatorRules:

lol really?

Your example is being tested with two 7970's in crossfire of course quad channel is going to help cpu bound games...... extra bandwidth allows more data to be passed onto cpu and gpus.

Again VTX are fine,They use reference board designs straight from nvidia or AMD. So no, there won't be any difference between them and and ASUS one using the reference PCB. Their quality is no different from say like Sapphire products.

Also really? again you get what you pay for.... any other 550w gold rated psu are 60+ pounds aka $90+, what that zalman are asking is a whopping 47 pounds or a whole $75. One brand's gold rate is not the same as someone else's..... gold rated psu only have to meet efficiency rating of 86%+ at all loads.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GeryGo  Moderator

@04dcarraher said:

@PredatorRules:

lol really?

Your example is being tested with two 7970's in crossfire of course quad channel is going to help cpu bound games...... extra bandwidth allows more data to be passed onto cpu and gpus.

Again VTX are fine,They use reference board designs straight from nvidia or AMD. So no, there won't be any difference between them and and ASUS one using the reference PCB. Their quality is no different from say like Sapphire products.

Also really? again you get what you pay for.... any other 550w gold rated psu are 60+ pounds aka $90+, what that zalman are asking is a whopping 47 pounds or a whole $75. One brand's gold rate is not the same as someone else's..... gold rated psu only have to meet efficiency rating of 86%+ at all loads.

But do agree with me it's better than getting a Corsair CX500 bronze?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 04dcarraher

@PredatorRules said:

But do agree with me it's better than getting a Corsair CX500 bronze?

Actually its hard to say, CX500 is a solid budget psu that has proven itself. The Zalman Goldrock series is a mid tier based power supply that cuts some quality inside to get the price lower, it does use some higher quality parts like japanese capacitors. But not enough info or reviews on the psu really exist, and the only site that reviewed the 750w model didnt test how clean the power was only the voltages. We know that this PSU does have protection for surges and other things so you could give it a shot , if you had no other option, but zalman's track record on psu's is meh.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Ram speeds for the high(HIGH) majority of desktop programs is made redundant by the simple fact that the higher the frequency the worse the latency... Essentially it cancels it self out. That being said if the difference in price is low then go for the faster ram. RAM amount is more important than frequency.

Also I would recommend the following if you need a OS:

• LINK...

And this if you don't need a OS:

• LINK...
Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

@PredatorRules:

That is not a R9 280X... Its a the R9 280 "X" edition, Its Amazon calling it the 280X. Its not that.

Scroll down to the specifications its the R9 280.

Here's a link to the card from overclockers... LINK.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Thanks people, some great help there.