building a PC for a 13 kid

This topic is locked from further discussion.

acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 acsam12304
Member since 2005 • 3387 Posts

ok so yesterday my mom and dad went to the market's bakery. they talk to a man who has his 13 kid with im. they story is he cam here from Salvidor ( he was born here but he dad & mom went back to Salvidor)

make things short the kid has no computer to do his home work on. my mom and dad told them i could build him a PC.

and for sure ill build it they buy the parts on newegg with there money and i charge them $100 to set it all up.

only question is should i give the kid a Athlon II x4? becuase they do not have to much money i want to give them a good rig but cheap as ic an so they dont take a big hit in there pockets. or should i give them a Athlon II x2 or x3?

i know ill give them a DDR2 or DDR3 2GB RAM

at least 320GB HDD.

Windows 7 32 Home Premium

and i think i should give them at least a 500w-650w PSU. if that kid ever wants to upgrade a few years down the road

and give them a mother board that supports AM3 again if that kid ever wants to upgrade his PC they can pop in a Phemon II x4 or 6

i can also install for him Open Office so he does not have to sell out hundreds of dollars to get MS Office.

plus he said its just for homework and just for surfing the web.

so a Athlon II x2 is a fair pick for him for right now?

and there buget is not that great i can say its about less then $500

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

What kind of homework requires a 4 core processor?

acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 acsam12304

Animatronic64

so ill take that as that Athlon II x2 will do fine then

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Animatronic64

[QUOTE="Animatronic64"]

acsam12304

Yeah, unless he wants to play games instead of doing his homework.
acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 acsam12304

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

[QUOTE="Animatronic64"]

Animatronic64

Yeah, unless he wants to play games instead of doing his homework.

well he said he wants to do home work with it. but i know i theres a lot of games that a Athlon II x2 will do just well on. ill try to sell him my HD 4850 1GB to him for $50 and its teh XFX one and new egg still has it for $114

plus the mobo like i said ill get for him will have room for a upgrade if he ever wants to go with a Phemon II x4 or x6 also like is aid i want to give him a good PSU like 500w-650w if he ever gets into PC gaming he will have teh power to get a good GPU

also you think a triple care Athlon II x3 is good enough power?

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Animatronic64

Yeah, good enough.

scottahuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 scottahuch
Member since 2003 • 1580 Posts

If they've never had a PC before don't forget to factor in the cost of a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Also, why 32 bit windows 7? Get him 64-bit, there's no price advantage there.

acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 acsam12304

If they've never had a PC before don't forget to factor in the cost of a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Also, why 32 bit windows 7? Get him 64-bit, there's no price advantage there.

scottahuch

no point really plus im goign tog et him a 2GB RAM PC. its not like he will have any reason to have a 64bit OS. plus a lot of people said there no difference.

here is the build also attention to the RAM i picked out for him

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=11826734

also i think ill get him the mouse and keyboard for free becuase if you look at teh wish list its like less then $20 for them also ill get him a extra SATA for free too. so i can keep the build as cheap as i can

DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
2GB? Try 4GB, he will never have any problems/and or reason to upgrade, Also if he does turn to gaming the 4GB will help him in the long run :-) Again if he plays games get him a 4 core processor, But if it is STRICTLY for Homework a dual core will be fine. What graphics card are you going to give him?
acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 acsam12304

2GB? Try 4GB, he will never have any problems/and or reason to upgrade, Also if he does turn to gaming the 4GB will help him in the long run :-) Again if he plays games get him a 4 core processor, But if it is STRICTLY for Homework a dual core will be fine. What graphics card are you going to give him?DeX2010

HD 4850 1GB but thinking about it alot more i dont think he will game with it. i do have a 8600GT which i could sell to him for like $20-$30 but i doubt he will ever have to use that much power of the GPU to do normal everyday things

hitman6actual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hitman6actual
Member since 2009 • 869 Posts

[QUOTE="scottahuch"]

acsam12304

no point really plus im goign tog et him a 2GB RAM PC. its not like he will have any reason to have a 64bit OS. plus a lot of people said there no difference.

also i think ill get him the mouse and keyboard for free becuase if you look at teh wish list its like less then $20 for them also ill get him a extra SATA for free too. so i can keep the build as cheap as i can

Yes there is a difference. 64-bit operating systems are much more stable than 32-bit ones. You should also be getting him 4GB of RAM, which is another reason for the 64-bit version of windows.
acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 acsam12304

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

[QUOTE="scottahuch"]

hitman6actual

Yes there is a difference. 64-bit operating systems are much more stable than 32-bit ones. You should also be getting him 4GB of RAM, which is another reason for the 64-bit version of windows.

like is aid im building a PC that is good enough and will be upgradeable later on if needed. they are poor ( i think anything over $200 is to much for them) so im trying to give them a decent build BUT will be upgradable if needed. im already over $400.

if you know a good build with good parts like ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte that is cheaper then let me know please

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Lol wut? What's with the quad cores and 4gb RAM??? Go for the cheapest X2 you can get, 2gb RAM, 350w PSU and Ubuntu.
hitman6actual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hitman6actual

[QUOTE="hitman6actual"][QUOTE="acsam12304"]

acsam12304

like is aid im building a PC that is good enough and will be upgradeable later on if needed. they are poor ( i think anything over $200 is to much for them) so im trying to give them a decent build BUT will be upgradable if needed. im already over $400.

if you know a good build with good parts like ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte that is cheaper then let me know please

If you want it to be upgradeable for later, then why are you buying him a 32-bit OS, as that would put him at a serious disadvantage. And if they are poor, you should not be charging them for the build, as you should just act like your doing them a favor. 2GB of RAM will be fine for now if your on a tight budget, but be sure that he knows to buy the same RAM if he adds more. In all honesty though, you should be looking at refurbished desktops from Best Buy. A decent one can be had for around $300 with similar specs to the one you are trying to put together for him.

acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 acsam12304

im using 32 bit Windows 7 with 4GB of RAM i havnet ran into any problems what so ever with anything. i asked people even on here that i wans thinking of upgrading to win-7 32 bit to win-7 64bit and alot of people said dont bother wont see to much of a change. what disadvantages will he have?

and we are guessing here that he MIGHT go to gaming and will want to do an upgrade. im not selling him the PC im just simply getting the parts for him and charge for me time in putting it together and ill explain to hima nd his dad what to do if they ever want to upgrade. ill be honest with them that his rig is ok for right now but if he ever wants to go into like mutimedia and do thigns like photoshoping and game design he will need a better rig with better parts. but if he does have to upgrade he will only need to change the PSU and the CPU. and maybe the RAM. but that time RAM will be cheaper.

and yes i could tell them to go to a best buy and buy a reberb PC but im not goign to let them go to a best buy and get raped by the people that works there and sell them any PC and lie to them how good and "powerful" that PC will be.

can tell you how many time i go to a "frinds of the family's" home and see them have a new PC and i check the hardware " im like they got raped" and they went to a wal-mart, best buy etc. and they paid close to $600-$900 for those rigs.

and im not goign to just build the PC adn let them go. ill hook them up with freeware you can get like open office, AVG free, heck ill buy him a game off STEAM and give it to him as a free gift off STEAM might get him Left 4 Dead or Left 4 Dead 2 (if his dad lets him) or let him pick out a game that will run on his rig ok

hitman6actual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hitman6actual

im using 32 bit Windows 7 with 4GB of RAM i havnet ran into any problems what so ever with anything. i asked people even on here that i wans thinking of upgrading to win-7 32 bit to win-7 64bit and alot of people said dont bother wont see to much of a change. what disavantages will he have?

and we are guessing here that he MIGHT go to gaming and will want to do an upgrade. im not selling him the PC im just simply getting the parts for him and charge for me time in putting it together and ill explan to hima nd his dad what to do if they ever want to upgrade. ill be honest with them that his rig is ok for right now but if he ever wants to go into like mutimedia and do thigns like photoshoping and game desing he will need a better rig with better parts. but if he does have to upgrade he will only need to chane the PSU and the CPU. and maybe the RAM. but that time RAM will be cheaper.

acsam12304

Well again, 32-bit operating systems are notorious for being less stable than 64-bit ones, so that's a possible problem he will have, and his RAM usage will be limited, because 32-bit x86 Operating Systems can only use up to 4GB of RAM, total. So if you have a GPU installed with 1GB of discrete memory on it, and you use up all or most of it while gaming etc., then the amount of DDR RAM that you will have usable will be at a maximum just over 3GB. For games and other memory intensive programs, you are at disadvantage to someone who has 4GB of RAM and a dedicated GPU, on a 64-bit OS. I know you say you've never had any trouble, and I don't mean to discredit what your saying, but this is an issue you could run into at some point as well as the person you are building the computer for. There is no price difference between the two different versions of the Operating Systems so I see no reason why you would buy him a less stable and possibly more problematic 32-bit OS when you could buy him a 64-bit version and avoid all of it.

scottahuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 scottahuch
Member since 2003 • 1580 Posts

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

[QUOTE="hitman6actual"]Yes there is a difference. 64-bit operating systems are much more stable than 32-bit ones. You should also be getting him 4GB of RAM, which is another reason for the 64-bit version of windows. hitman6actual

If you want it to be upgradeable for later, then why are you buying him a 32-bit OS, as that would put him at a serious disadvantage. And if they are poor, you should not be charging them for the build, as you should just act like your doing them a favor. 2GB of RAM will be fine for now if your on a tight budget, but be sure that he knows to buy the same RAM if he adds more. In all honesty though, you should be looking at refurbished desktops from Best Buy. A decent one can be had for around $300 with similar specs to the one you are trying to put together for him.

I agree, if they're looking for something on the low-end, buying something from best-buy would be cheaper. Custom building your own PC is really only cost beneficial when looking towards the mid-high end range of PC's, especially if you're going to charge them $100 to build the machine. If all they need to do is browse the net/do homework something like this best buy PC would be fine. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eMachines+-+Desktop+/+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+X2+Processor+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive/1243045.p?id=1218240384822&skuId=1243045
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 markop2003

acsam12304
Why are you acting like an ambassador for PC gaming when all the spec says is to get a cheap PC capable of doing homework?
acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 acsam12304

[QUOTE="hitman6actual"]

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

scottahuch

I agree, if they're looking for something on the low-end, buying something from best-buy would be cheaper. Custom building your own PC is really only cost beneficial when looking towards the mid-high end range of PC's, especially if you're going to charge them $100 to build the machine. If all they need to do is browse the net/do homework something like this best buy PC would be fine. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eMachines+-+Desktop+/+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+X2+Processor+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive/1243045.p?id=1218240384822&skuId=1243045

ok ill just tell them to go to best buy and let them deal with geek squad. and thats if they have the PC in the store. but ims ure best buy will order it for them

hitman6actual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hitman6actual

im using 32 bit Windows 7 with 4GB of RAM i havnet ran into any problems what so ever with anything. i asked people even on here that i wans thinking of upgrading to win-7 32 bit to win-7 64bit and alot of people said dont bother wont see to much of a change. what disadvantages will he have?

and we are guessing here that he MIGHT go to gaming and will want to do an upgrade. im not selling him the PC im just simply getting the parts for him and charge for me time in putting it together and ill explain to hima nd his dad what to do if they ever want to upgrade. ill be honest with them that his rig is ok for right now but if he ever wants to go into like mutimedia and do thigns like photoshoping and game design he will need a better rig with better parts. but if he does have to upgrade he will only need to change the PSU and the CPU. and maybe the RAM. but that time RAM will be cheaper.

and yes i could tell them to go to a best buy and buy a reberb PC but im not goign to let them go to a best buy and get raped by the people that works there and sell them any PC and lie to them how good and "powerful" that PC will be.

can tell you how many time i go to a "frinds of the family's" home and see them have a new PC and i check the hardware " im like they got raped" and they went to a wal-mart, best buy etc. and they paid close to $600-$900 for those rigs.

and im not goign to just build the PC adn let them go. ill hook them up with freeware you can get like open office, AVG free, heck ill buy him a game off STEAM and give it to him as a free gift off STEAM might get him Left 4 Dead or Left 4 Dead 2 (if his dad lets him) or let him pick out a game that will run on his rig ok

acsam12304

I'm telling you man, refurbished is the way to go on this one. I have bought several refurbished PCs, because IMO they are even more cost effective than building your own. Basically you get a ton of RAM and a decent CPU with them, and all you have to do to turn them into a gaming rig is buy a new GPU and PSU. My rig that I have now cost me $450 plus a $160 GPU, which is hairs slower than yours, but if I would of put the same build together on Newegg, it would of cost me a lot more, which I'm guessing is what you did for your build, which I'm sure cost more than $560.

acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 acsam12304

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

hitman6actual

I'm telling you man, refurbished is the way to go on this one. I have bought several refurbished PCs, because IMO they are even more cost effective than building your own. Basically you get a ton of RAM and a decent CPU with them, and all you have to do to turn them into a gaming rig is buy a new GPU and PSU. My rig that I have now cost me $450 plus a $160 GPU, which is hairs slower than yours, but if I would of put the same build together on Newegg, it would of cost me a lot more, which I'm guessing is what you did for your build, which I'm sure cost more than $560.

well i gave them a call i said ill charge them $100 and ill go with them and shop aroudn the store we have here for a PC. they agreed. so at the end i dont lose, get my $100 :P ^_^

hitman6actual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hitman6actual

[QUOTE="hitman6actual"]

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

acsam12304

well i gave them a call i said ill charge them $100 and ill go with them and shop aroudn the store we have here for a PC. they agreed. so at the end i dont lose, get my $100 :P ^_^

Alright sounds like a good deal.. Maybe you could use the $100 on a new, 64-bit version of Windows 7 ;)

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
You should've charge them $50. $100 is a bit high.
willx10121013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 willx10121013
Member since 2004 • 300 Posts

You should've charge them $50. $100 is a bit high. NerubianWeaver

Ya seriously, this is a really easy build that i think your making too complicated, throw in a really cheap dual core, 2GB ram, 320 harddrive, 300-350W PSU, and a cheap little mobo and case,and accessorises if he needs them (keyboard, mouse, etc...)

Boom, done. It sounds like he wants it as cheap as possible for internet/word most likely, not to play games with. And if he's poor, don't charge him out the ass for it either, that's just mean

acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 acsam12304

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]You should've charge them $50. $100 is a bit high. willx10121013

Ya seriously, this is a really easy build that i think your making too complicated, throw in a really cheap dual core, 2GB ram, 320 harddrive, 300-350W PSU, and a cheap little mobo and case,and accessorises if he needs them (keyboard, mouse, etc...)

Boom, done. It sounds like he wants it as cheap as possible for internet/word most likely, not to play games with. And if he's poor, don't charge him out the ass for it either, that's just mean

all part of business ;) remember time is money

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MaoTheChimp
Member since 2008 • 1727 Posts

[QUOTE="willx10121013"]

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]You should've charge them $50. $100 is a bit high. acsam12304

If you were building the system for them, I'd generally agree with you, but collecting $100 for helping them choose a prebuilt system in a store strikes me as being rather low, if you'll forgive me saying. I'm probably treading on thin ice, but I'd honestly suggest acting in good faith and giving them a hand for free, if not lowering your sights to the $50 region.

Just my 2c

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Dam dude, why are you charging these people for something that is so simple. You say they are poor, can't you just help them out without expecting something in return? I know I've done that many times.
hitman6actual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hitman6actual
Dam dude, why are you charging these people for something that is so simple. You say they are poor, can't you just help them out without expecting something in return? I know I've done that many times.C_Rule
Well +1. I built several rigs for friends (although they kinda dove right in after we started building) and I've never charged anybody anything for it. $50 should be your max, as $100 is a lot for somebody who has just moved here in this messed up economy of ours, especially since what your doing for this kid should be more like volunteering yourself for something than doing somebody a favor and expecting a huge payout from it.
DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

[QUOTE="willx10121013"]

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]You should've charge them $50. $100 is a bit high. acsam12304

This is a joke...right ? ....if not, then you should be ashamed for trying to take advantage of people that way. :( ...unless they offered to pay you, which it's doesn't sound that they did, you should be trying to help these people out, not taking advantage of them !

*+

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
You guys are insane, just throw him an old p4 rig with ~1 gig of ram.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 markop2003
You guys are insane, just throw him an old p4 rig with ~1 gig of ram.JigglyWiggly_
That's dependedent on being able to find one that dosn't set itself on fire. An Athlon 64 or X2 would be better.
[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Dam dude, why are you charging these people for something that is so simple. You say they are poor, can't you just help them out without expecting something in return? I know I've done that many times.hitman6actual
Well +1. I built several rigs for friends (although they kinda dove right in after we started building) and I've never charged anybody anything for it. $50 should be your max, as $100 is a lot for somebody who has just moved here in this messed up economy of ours, especially since what your doing for this kid should be more like volunteering yourself for something than doing somebody a favor and expecting a huge payout from it.

+1 You shouldn't be getting paid for simply advising someone in a shop. There are 100s of people who would give that kind of advice for free, you're just ripping them off.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
DDR3 is probably cheaper these days than DDR2... AMD seems a good road for the budget.. If he doesn't have a PC then it shouldnt be the build you need to give attention, software and security will be worse for him. A very cheap build would be more than enough power, and the PSU is slightly too high, He won't really need a 650W unless he is SLI/Crossfire 2 very powerful cards and lots of fans and so on... 450W or 500W will be plenty.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]You should've charge them $50. $100 is a bit high. willx10121013

This, it's just homework, he'll probably be a console kid if he ever wants games so there isn't really any need to give more than is necessary, just because it makes sense to you doesn't mean he'll be taking advantage of all of your efforts.
acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 acsam12304

well ill be glad to inform you all that i did spent over 4 hours going with them to every tore in my town that sells a PC. at the end we did get a PC from Rent-A-Center. they spent over $700 with monitor and what not. so yes over 4 hours of my time and getting $100 is well defined. if they asked just for information on PCs i would of gave it to them for free and ill just stay home or do other things i needed to do.

DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

well ill be glad to inform you all that i did spent over 4 hours going with them to every tore in my town that sells a PC. at the end we did get a PC from Rent-A-Center. they spent over $700 with monitor and what not. so yes over 4 hours of my time and getting $100 is well defined. if they asked just for information on PCs i would of gave it to them for free and ill just stay home or do other things i needed to do.

acsam12304

Seriously Dude ! ....You figured by going with these people to help them spend 700 dollars of their money, you felt justified taking 100 dollars for just going shopping with them for a few hours ! I'm guessing they drove you in their car too. Do you really believe your time was worth $25/hr. doing this ? And the most outrageous part about all of it, is you ended up taking them to a freakin' RENT-A-CENTER, where I'm sure this PC can't be new and not of the best quality that has little to no warranty....OH man ! for 7 bills the kid could have got a nice laptop or a desktop with monitor/keyboard etc....NEW ...I can't believe I'm even reading this.....I really believe those folks would have been better off if you did stay home and do what ever it is you needed to do.....Epic Fail Boss !!!

*+

acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 acsam12304

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

DieselCat18

Seriously Dude ! ....You figured by going with these people to help them spend 700 dollars of their money, you felt justified taking 100 dollars for just going shopping with them for a few hours ! I'm guessing they drove you in their car too. Do you really believe your time was worth $25/hr. doing this ? And the most outrageous part about all of it, is you ended up taking them to a freakin' RENT-A-CENTER, where I'm sure this PC can't be new and not of the best quality that has little to no warranty....OH man ! for 7 bills the kid could have got a nice laptop or a desktop with monitor/keyboard etc....NEW ...I can't believe I'm even reading this.....I really believe those folks would have been better off if you did stay home and do what ever it is you needed to do.....Epic Fail Boss !!!

*+

to let you know the PC was brand new and i said over 4 hours, to make you happy it was about 7 hours. and they got a PC with a i5, 6GB RAM, Blu-Ray Burner, 64 bit OS win-7. free MS Office 2007. 550w PSU Wifi ready with 3.0 USB ports. dont ask me how they got that price but they did. also i gave them my HD 4850 1GB 256 bit

and yes i did set up teh PC up for them. and i knew someone was goign to wonder whos car we took and we took me car. i rather drive to all the places where a PC can be sold. rather then tell them how to get there.

DarxPhil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#39 DarxPhil
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts

But you did all that because you accepted to do all those things, no one is jamming down your throat to do all that. Someone who is a dedicated techie who takes the time out to help someone in a world of tech confused and computer illiterate people without charging them because your ass hurts from walking a little would be a great comliment on your part. When you charge people for voluntarily driving people around for hours on end looking for the right computer and in the end asking for money is saying them that you did it in part of what you could get at the end and that your time is worth more then making sure they're satisfied and don't get ripped off. Even from a bussiness perspective, if you want to gain a good reputation you have to show you are dedicated to the custumer and not just waiting for a hand out at the end because you worked hard to get them what they wanted.

Just my 2 cents...

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts

[QUOTE="DieselCat18"]

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

acsam12304

*+

to let you know the PC was brand new and i said over 4 hours, to make you happy it was about 7 hours. and they got a PC with a i5, 6GB RAM, Blu-Ray Burner, 64 bit OS win-7. free MS Office 2007. 550w PSU Wifi ready with 3.0 USB ports. dont ask me how they got that price but they did. also i gave them my HD 4850 1GB 256 bit

and yes i did set up teh PC up for them. and i knew someone was goign to wonder whos car we took and we took me car. i rather drive to all the places where a PC can be sold. rather then tell them how to get there.

Wait! They spend over $700 and he only got a 4850 :|
acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 acsam12304

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

[QUOTE="DieselCat18"]

*+

NerubianWeaver

Wait! They spend over $700 and he only got a 4850 :|

no i gave him my HD 4850 for free the PC its self is what i showed you.

DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DeX2010
Charge them, Buy the rig, and Upgrade the GPU and if needed, the PSU, There we go! :-)
DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DeX2010

btw DO NOT charge them for the PSU/GPU, That would be low..Sell The current ones and use that+the $100 to buy the parts.

EDIT:

That is a good multi-purpose PC.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] That's dependedent on being able to find one that dosn't set itself on fire. An Athlon 64 or X2 would be better. [QUOTE="hitman6actual"][QUOTE="C_Rule"]Dam dude, why are you charging these people for something that is so simple. You say they are poor, can't you just help them out without expecting something in return? I know I've done that many times.markop2003

+1 You shouldn't be getting paid for simply advising someone in a shop. There are 100s of people who would give that kind of advice for free, you're just ripping them off.

Uhm, I have several p4 rigs ~2.0-3.0ghz, and they all run really cold. I mean they're slow obviously, but they run cool, and get the job done.... only the prescotts had problems.

Also this thread is stupid :D

He doesn't even sound like a pc gamer, just get him intergrated graphics... and a e3200 with a cheap lga 775 board, with 1 gig of ddr2 ram if you must build a new pc.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 markop2003

Uhm, I have several p4 rigs ~2.0-3.0ghz, and they all run really cold. I mean they're slow obviously, but they run cool, and get the job done.... only the prescotts had problems.

JigglyWiggly_
A friend of mine had a Prescott that defied physics 110c at idle with underclocking, i have no idea why it didn't just crash
acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 acsam12304

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

markop2003

A friend of mine had a Prescott that defied physics 110c at idle with underclocking, i have no idea why it didn't just crash

holy crap thats hot. well back int he day. i use to have my CPU running 67*C-78*C on idle. and its was a intel Dual Core.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

markop2003

I have a 3.6ghz prescott in one of my computers... it runs fine on the stock cooler... although with cheapo thermal paste it overheated. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N9NH3ATqdk
Artas1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#48 Artas1984
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts

The kid does not need a powerhouse PC in my opinion. 13 is a bad age for gaming, he needs to get into sport more; he will be fine with a slower PC and there are plenty of very good older games anyway if he wants to play, i mean even games from 1996 and on. Not everyone wants to play the latest Battlefield or Call Of Duty series, get over it... Make sure you get him a power supply that is not some entry level cheap dirt, 350W 80+ will be fine. A lot better than some cheap 500W IT SL-500. AMD Athlon 2 X2 for CPU. 2 Gb of DDR2 800. Video card no more than a GT 240. I would recommend a HD4650, so that he can save on PSU. HD4850 for 50 is a sin not to buy, but i think he does not need it. It's too powerful.