Building a gaming PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

any kind souls want to recommend a decent setup that doesn't break the bank?

#2 Edited by PredatorRules (6439 posts) -

give me a budget limit and I'll create you one.

#3 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

give me a budget limit and I'll create you one.

$799.99 thanks!!

#6 Edited by PredatorRules (6439 posts) -

Good build here, pretty solid rig, but I'd replace GPU brand to Sapphire/Gigabyte/MSI/ASUS.

Is it a future proof? I've been gaming with i5 750 and HD5770 till about a week ago and it was pretty fine.

Case + PSU will be 100$ more which is fine coz all parts here are 700$, but he forgot 1 think, since he's recommended MOBO for OC and a CPU for that thing as well, you'll need a good CPU fan to blow off all that heat

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608014&Tpk=noctua%20u12p and that's 80$ more without breaking the bank for solid quiet good CPU fan.

So if it's off your budget, either pick different MOBO and CPU that aren't for OC or pick up some good CPU fan.

#9 Edited by PredatorRules (6439 posts) -

Well I could throw you a 1000$ king of GPUs the 7990, it makes difference between playing games on ultra graphics nowdays such as Crysis 3, with the GPU i've recommended you, you'll be able to run it on ultra on 20fps, if you'd turn off the AA graphic option you'll do a 30 on average which is pretty solid for a 200$ gpu on nowdays gaming.

With the 7990 yes you'll get a 60+ fps easy but that's 5 times the money of the R9 270X; from all these time of being a PC gamer I've learned one thing: budget stays the same, only tech is being replaced for something better each year.

#10 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

Well I could throw you a 1000$ king of GPUs the 7990, it makes difference between playing games on ultra graphics nowdays such as Crysis 3, with the GPU i've recommended you, you'll be able to run it on ultra on 20fps, if you'd turn off the AA graphic option you'll do a 30 on average which is pretty solid for a 200$ gpu on nowdays gaming.

With the 7990 yes you'll get a 60+ fps easy but that's 5 times the money of the R9 270X; from all these time of being a PC gamer I've learned one thing: budget stays the same, only tech is being replaced for something better each year.

Does it matter if CPU is i3 dual core vs i5 quad core?

#11 Posted by Horgen (109468 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@PredatorRules said:

Does it matter if CPU is i3 dual core vs i5 quad core?

Yes, big time. i5 for gaming... i3 for non demanding tasks.

#12 Posted by PredatorRules (6439 posts) -

@horgen123: nowdays most games relay on GPU mostly. Unlike hog cpu games such as Metro which are pretty rare.

Hyper-threading in i3 is awesome it helps it to reach i5 performances without paying extra 60$

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-4430-Quad-Core-Desktop-Processor/dp/B00CO8T9VC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384523060&sr=8-1&keywords=i5+4430 185$

I could replace the mobo for the same price but this setup will cost you a 820$ which is 20$ above your budget

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132044 65$ mobo along with the i5 CPU

#13 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -
#14 Edited by PredatorRules (6439 posts) -

@mrintro said:

What do you guys think about this website

http://www.xoticpc.com/gamingcomputers.php

I guess it's a site that build a pc set up for you? IMO it's best to customize your own PC parts, better cooling, better looks, cable management, better performances tweaks.

That's what build the PC community the custom of parts.

I've checked the site and they offer you not so great GPUs with an overclocked CPU option

http://www.xoticpc.com/desktops-and-servers-elite-desktops-insurgent-desktops-ct-95_376_400.html

my setups 755/820$, their starting from 900$ with weaker GPUs.

#15 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

What monitor do you recommend?

#16 Edited by ZombieKiller7 (6194 posts) -

I hope so

I mean it's my build from a week ago

Runs everything on Ultra, even demanding shit like Crysis and Secret World with godrays on

I would have gotten a better known brand for the vid card but none were available, so far it's the most power you can get for under $200, it's not even really a 7870, it's an underclocked 7950, like 1 step below a Titan.

I'm loving tech right now, all tech at this moment is powerful and cheap and ubiquitous, especially if you know how to pick parts, you can punch waaaay above your budget.

#17 Posted by Arthas045 (4860 posts) -

My next build is going to be a 7870 as well really looking forward to the card I hear great things about it.

#19 Posted by lostrib (26249 posts) -
#20 Posted by PredatorRules (6439 posts) -
#21 Posted by lostrib (26249 posts) -

Dead serious, what's wrong with this screen? it's got 23' 1080p, 1 mega dcr and most important 2ms.

If you could find all 3 of them in cheaper screen via known brand for PC screens, I wish to see for myself.

you can easily get a 144hz monitor or even a 27" 1440p IPS display for cheaper.

#22 Edited by kraken2109 (12682 posts) -

Dead serious, what's wrong with this screen? it's got 23' 1080p, 1 mega dcr and most important 2ms.

If you could find all 3 of them in cheaper screen via known brand for PC screens, I wish to see for myself.

rofl this 144hz asus is one of the best gaming monitors around and is cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-24-Inch-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384607249&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+144hz

#23 Edited by PredatorRules (6439 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

rofl this 144hz asus is one of the best gaming monitors around and is cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-24-Inch-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384607249&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+144hz

Superb screen, go with this one @mrintro

#24 Edited by mastershake575 (8316 posts) -

Few things I must address (im not trying to be an A-hole but some of the advice is bad in this thread).

1. Getting an i5 3570K with a Z77 motherboard right now currently makes no sense at all. The i5 4670K can be found for $10 more most of the time and Z87 motherboards aren't that expensive (you can get a socket that could potentially support future chipsets while getting a slightly faster/cooler CPU for the SAME EXACT price).

2. Recommending an i3 right now isn't a great idea. Most of them are clocked .4-.6ghz slower than the i5 counterpart and this isn't really a good time to be recommending them (the new dev kits havn't even kicked in yet and theres still a good amount of games that get a good boost going from an i3 to an i5). Hyper threading isn't that beneficial for gaming so your basically getting double to raw power + the ability to overclock well (unlocked chip) for $60-70 more (that's a freaking no brainer). There's a fair amount of games that see a good jump from an i3 to an i5 and that gap is only going to get bigger as the new dev kits kick in (more raw power for the future, the ability to overclock well, and the price not being a ton more makes it a no brainer).

3. An $80 air cooler on a $800 build isn't what I would call cost effective (I don't understand "not breaking the bank" when your spending mid tier watercooler money on an air cooler while taking 10% of someones budget..... wtf ?). A hyper 212+ evo will give you 70-80% of the performance of the $80 cooler while only cost you $30...... (now THATS cost effective). If budgets tight use stock cooler and buy an aftermarket cooler later down the road when you decide that overclocking is necessary (I never recommend aftermarket coolers on a strict budget build when you can just get one later when overclocking is necessary, thus you can put that money towards other parts for now).

#25 Edited by kraken2109 (12682 posts) -