Building a budget gaming PC with spare parts.

DaX_Factor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DaX_Factor
Member since 2003 • 167 Posts

I plan on building gaming PC for my daughter and I am using parts I gutted from other desktops (all parts are working).

Here's what I have so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155

RAM: 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333

ATX Mid-Tower

Optical drive: SATA DVD RW+/- burner

I want to keep the cost as low as possible while getting the most bang for my buck. I know what parts I'm missing but I'm looking for recommendations or pro-tips for PC DIYselfers to complete this project.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@DaX_Factor said:

I plan on building gaming PC for my daughter and I am using parts I gutted from other desktops (all parts are working).

ATX Mid-Tower

I want to keep the cost as low as possible while getting the most bang for my buck. I know what parts I'm missing but I'm looking for recommendations or pro-tips for PC DIYselfers to complete this project.

How much do you want it to perform, I done the same I built a second system with spare parts ended up with

AMD 64 x2 6400+

4 GB RAM DDR 2 PC6400

ATX mid Tower

Samsung DVD burner

Corsair CX 500 PSU

ATI XFX 4890

Along with my spare parts I had to 5450's, I crossfired them for the LOL. and managed to play Batman Arkham asylum at 30fps and 720p.

Has a few dips to 20fps when enemies on screen, I got the console experience :D

However the 4890 was only £30 and its still a half decent card for that price.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Do you have a motherboard for that processor? I'll still add one in the list. What kind of games does she play? I'll list a good budget gpu that will still be able to play new modern games on medium/high.

Motherboard

1tb HDD

GTX 750ti

PSU

DaX_Factor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaX_Factor

@04dcarraher: Great recommendation on the GPU. The Motherboard though only had 2 slots for RAM. I want to try to use all 4 sticks for the 8GB. the big pieces I'm missing is are the motherboard, PSU and GPU. I forgot to mention I have a 1TB HDD.

@thehig1: For performance, I'm looking for something that can handle modern games at medium to high settings. Don't really need to hit the Ultra high. She is 10 so she's not really doing anything hardcore now. But I would like options that are upgradable.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@DaX_Factor said:

ATX Mid-Tower

Get yourself R9 290, if your MOBO supports it - get 2x 290

DaX_Factor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaX_Factor

@PredatorRules: Great card but too rich for my blood.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GeryGo  Moderator

@DaX_Factor said:

Then you should mention budget limit before asking for help,

if you kindly mention it I could suggest you the best price/performance GPU

DaX_Factor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaX_Factor

@PredatorRules said:

@DaX_Factor said:

Sorry, I thought a low budget was implied. I wouldn't want to spend more than $150 for a GPU. I still need a motherboard that can fit all these pieces together. Like I stated in the beginning "I want to keep the cost as low as possible..." Most of the parts I have are salvaged from other desktops. If I could build it for free, I would. If I can finish the build under $250, that would be great.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Here is a motherboard with 4 memory slots

LINK

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GeryGo  Moderator

@DaX_Factor said:

@PredatorRules said:

@DaX_Factor said:

Sorry, I thought a low budget was implied. I wouldn't want to spend more than $150 for a GPU. I still need a motherboard that can fit all these pieces together. Like I stated in the beginning "I want to keep the cost as low as possible..." Most of the parts I have are salvaged from other desktops. If I could build it for free, I would. If I can finish the build under $250, that would be great.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Dh9cmG 250$ after mail rebates if that's ok with you, picked up GTX760 superclocked by EVGA since you wanted something more powerful than a 750Ti, also a MOBO with 4 RAM slots and a PSU bronze rated 500Watts from EVGA as well, I hope you like it - if you want to change anything let me know.

DaX_Factor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DaX_Factor

@PredatorRules: Great picks and thanks for the recommendations! I don't want to change anything on this. This looks like the best fit at the top of my budget. Now, I may already have a 500 PSU (not 100% sure, need to go through my storage) So if I do decided to go top of my budget, where should I direct the extra $25, motherboard or GPU?

@04dcarraher: Same to your picks as well. Your picks put me under budget at a total cost of $208. If I take out the PSU then $168. This is great below budget option!

Both of you gave me good options to review.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GeryGo  Moderator

@DaX_Factor said:

@PredatorRules: Great picks and thanks for the recommendations! I don't want to change anything on this. This looks like the best fit at the top of my budget. Now, I may already have a 500 PSU (not 100% sure, need to go through my storage) So if I do decided to go top of my budget, where should I direct the extra $25, motherboard or GPU?

Depends on how many years you've used your PSU, if about 5 years I'd recommend getting new one; If that's not the case - if you want to keep options upgradeable later on I could suggest a MOBO with SLI option for duture cheaper upgrade - this will exceed to 260$ and you'll need a 650Watts PSU, a higher tier GPU will also be a bump in the price for about extra 100$ - so that's a no.

My suggestion if you do not have a good CPU cooler Seidon 120V or EVO 212 if you do not want to exceed that 25$ limit - both are great, IMO water cooling is easier to remove and clean.

If none of these options suit you, I'd get some good case fans like Noctua NF series or Corsair AF series.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Used 7970s on ebay are pretty cheap.