This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

Hey guys I need a little help. I’m forgoing getting a ps4 and upgrading my PC instead but I’m having a hard time deciding which route I should go. I plan to use it for gaming but I’m also going to be doing a lot of work with programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver. Also using programs like Visual Basic, and development testing, often running all of these programs simultaneously. So below are the two options I’m torn between.

FX 6300 piledriver

8 GB mushkin silverline 1600

R9 280x (or 280, I’ve heard the 280x has some issues with artifacts)

Asrock 980 DE3

Price on Newegg including Case HDD, PS = $489 - $40 in rebates = $449

Or

I5 4460

Mushkine silverline

R9 270 or gtx 660

Mobo undecided

From my understanding the 6300 is a six core CPU but 2 cores each share resources while the i5 is a true 4 core CPU. Should I go with the i5 and just get a cheaper gpu and upgrade in a few months, or would the FX with the 280x give me more bang for my buck as a general use PC? With tech like mantle and dx12 will I be able to make do with a weaker gpu for a while? Will multithreading optimization give the Fx a boost? My monitor is only 1080p so that’s my target resolution, ultra would be nice but high/very high setting would be ok since I need my PC for more than just gaming.

Budget is flexible but I’m trying to stay in the $550 range. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Newegg has 280 for $159 after $20 rebate if anybody's interested. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202099&cm_re=r9_280-_-14-202-099-_-Product

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gL3HsY - $565
or
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/psrvhM - $550

slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By slimdogmilionar

@insane_metalist

Thanks. I won't be overclocking this build so does it matter if I have a cooler or not?

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 insane_metalist

@slimdogmilionar said:

@insane_metalist

Thanks. I won't be overclocking this build so does it matter if I have a cooler or not?

If you will not be overclocking then go with i5 and it does not require a CPU cooler. But AMD's heatsinks are grarbage and very loud that's why I listed one there.

slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 slimdogmilionar

@insane_metalist: Thanks again. Yea my current amd setup sounds like a jet engine, even when it's idle the fan is still going full speed.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 insane_metalist

@slimdogmilionar said:

@insane_metalist: Thanks again. Yea my current amd setup sounds like a jet engine, even when it's idle the fan is still going full speed.

Yeah, they have cheap, shitty heatsinks. Intel ones are pretty decent and if you're not overclocking then there's no reason to buy a separate one.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts
@slimdogmilionar said:

Hey guys I need a little help. I’m forgoing getting a ps4 and upgrading my PC instead but I’m having a hard time deciding which route I should go. I plan to use it for gaming but I’m also going to be doing a lot of work with programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver. Also using programs like Visual Basic, and development testing, often running all of these programs simultaneously. So below are the two options I’m torn between.

FX 6300 piledriver

8 GB mushkin silverline 1600

R9 280x (or 280, I’ve heard the 280x has some issues with artifacts)

Asrock 980 DE3

Price on Newegg including Case HDD, PS = $489 - $40 in rebates = $449

Or

I5 4460

Mushkine silverline

R9 270 or gtx 660

Mobo undecided

From my understanding the 6300 is a six core CPU but 2 cores each share resources while the i5 is a true 4 core CPU. Should I go with the i5 and just get a cheaper gpu and upgrade in a few months, or would the FX with the 280x give me more bang for my buck as a general use PC? With tech like mantle and dx12 will I be able to make do with a weaker gpu for a while? Will multithreading optimization give the Fx a boost? My monitor is only 1080p so that’s my target resolution, ultra would be nice but high/very high setting would be ok since I need my PC for more than just gaming.

Budget is flexible but I’m trying to stay in the $550 range. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Newegg has 280 for $159 after $20 rebate if anybody's interested. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202099&cm_re=r9_280-_-14-202-099-_-Product

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3JPg4D basic budget build, you can always upgrade GPU since the CPU will last for about 5 years or even more in terms of gaming.