Broken capacitor replacement yields higher clocks...?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Baselerd (5104 posts) -
My friend's mobo had a leaky capacitor and the board would randomly shut off. (There was grey fluid coming out of it.) So naturally, we looked at the capacity (19 microfarads) and went to a supply room in the Electrical Engineering dept at my university and sautered one onto the board. It worsk fine, except now the bios says the RAM runs at 800MHz (1600 effective), which is obviously wrong, since it runs at 400MHz (800 effective). Any suggestions?

I know capacitors arent polar, so its not that we hooked up the anode to the wrong end or something, and the capacitor has the same capacity. The sautering was done really well and doesnt touch any incorrect contacts.
#2 Posted by Jiggly_Wiggly (1912 posts) -
You could set it manually to those speeds, but, if it running fine just leave it, try cpu-z and see what it says in windows.
#3 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
To be honest, you should better RMA the board instead of fixing it yourself. You could have put the capacitors in the wrong way but then they would have certainly sparked a lot already or even blown up... Fixing a motherboard is close to impossible, since the soldering is done mainly with machines and often with the use of lasers to make small soldering points that don't heat a lot of layered paths on the PCB. I think you heated a couple of those layers in the motherboards PCB and done some substantial damage. If the damage is not visible from the outside, I would just report this to a PC shop and ask for a replacement. Just don't tell them what you did.
#4 Posted by Baselerd (5104 posts) -
The mobo was past warranty and not worth replacing. And we sautered the capacitor on by heating the wire contacts and applying them to sauter, so there was no excess sauter (at least significantly.) I guess we will just have to see what happens, the computer is running fine, no abnormalities other than the different memory clocks. Manually editing the speed in the bios does not show any change in cpu-z (it always reads 1600MHz... wish it was true :-D ).